The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 09:54 AM

Default My Experiment With Santa Cruz and Straight Up Strings

I'm not an expert on guitar strings but I know what my ears like and what they don't. Gave the new SCGC strings a try, but personally, I didn't care for them. Didn't like the feel nor the sound that my OM/PW got out of them. Also, they did not intonate well. Swithed back to Martin Monel Retro Lights and the results are much better. I also experimented with a set of Straight Up Strings, couldn't tell that they were any different from SCGC strings. I only kept them on for a short while. Couldn't stand the sound and feel. Both sets (SUS and SCGS) made my OM/PW sound steril and dull. I understand that SUS makes the strings for SCGS. Done with my experimentation. Back to what works for me.

For what its worth.

Tom
Collings UT1 Tenor Ukulele
Eastman 305 Mandolin
McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer
Thomason Mountain Dulcimer
Deering Eagle ii Banjo
Homemade Wash Tub Bass
O'Riordon Tin whistle (Traveler Set)
Hammered Dulcimer by Jim Hudson
Old 11-19-2015, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks for the report, Tom. Always good to know what works and what doesn't for you and your guitars. I have the Santa Cruz sets and like them on my Wingert rosewoods - just like the mid tension better than the low tension. Will try the Straight Ups next to see if there is any discernible difference. Sounds from your experience that there is not.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Good to know. I just bought a SCGC OM this afternoon and I was going to try the SC strings. Prolly still will, but good to know not everyone likes them.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:57 PM

Thanks for the heads up, been meaning to try the new SC strings, now I'm really curious to hear them for myslef.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:53 AM

I love them on my OM Grand!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedray View Post
Good to know. I just bought a SCGC OM this afternoon and I was going to try the SC strings. Prolly still will, but good to know not everyone likes them.
Indeed -- there's your particular guitar, your hands, your ears, and not everyone will form the same impression. OTOH, I have a set on my SCGC OM and I think they are excellent. Balance across the strings seems even better than before.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Its safe to say that no matter what you bring up, not everyones gonna like it -

I can also say that I have now tried SCGC strings on 5 guitars, and I really like them on 4 of them - not so much on the 5th - but thats a higher winning percentage than any other string I've tried.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Default micro coating?

SCGC strings mention micro coating:
"State of the art metallurgy and micro-coating assures long life"

Siminoff Straight up strings do not.
That may explain at least one difference.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. Strings are one of those things that are just SO personal. Between the wide variance of strings (brands, sizes, materials, properties) and guitars (brands, sizes, materials, builds) it's no wonder we all have different opinions!

I bought a set of the SCGC low tension strings but have not tried them yet because I use Elixirs and I'm waiting for them to die... I've been waiting awhile now and I think I'm finally getting there! But I just received a new (to me) guitar that came strung up with a new set of Newtone Heritage 11's which are a low tension string and while they sound okay, I'm really not digging the low tension aspect. I have two 00-size 12 fret guitars so I'm able to A/B them and I just really can't get on board with the low tension of the Newtone's. They are down right floppy. I tune down a half step which does not help, I suppose.

It would be interesting to see how the SCGC low tension strings compare to the Newtone Heritage strings... But in all honesty I'll likely just end up putting Elixir 80/20 12's on both.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:21 AM

have tried the santa cruz medium tension on six guitars, and only liked the sound on two of them, both gibsons- a '46 sj and the jackson browne model. Not for every guitar, it seems...
Old 06-17-2016, 07:41 AM

I put them on 3-4 weeks ago in my SCGC OM also. I did like the low tension a lot. I usually change strings every 2-3 weeks but this time I feel they lasted more than any other set. Partially because of the micro coating or something. One other thing that I've noticed last week when I played my friend's SCGC 2012 OM/PW (EIR/Sitka) is that the sound is more close to a couple of older Martin OMs that I've played this year. I have no idea if thats the SCGC'c intention through construction or what. He said he tried the low tension and swap them back to John Pierce PB Lights that he believes have the best sound.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 AM

I've used a lot of strings and I personally think they are the best strings I've ever played. They also lasted over a month and I live near the beach. They are too expensive I mo however, they sounded and felt great
Old 06-17-2016, 08:31 AM

I tried them once and didn't love them. I have an extra set hanging around...maybe I'll try'em out again.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 06-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I tried both the Santa Cruz and the Straight Ups. I liked the mid-tensions on my spruce/cocobolo Wingert. The low tensions, not so much. I found that I have an allergic sensitivity to whatever alloys they use so could not continue to experiment.

The Santa Cruz strings definitely have a different feel and tone than any other strings I have tried. Always interesting to hear people's take on them.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-17-2016, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I was recently changing strings on a guitar that I really love the SC strings on - but I was away from home and didn't have a set with me. So I put on a basic set of EJ16s, and while I thought it sounded good - but not as great - my friend thought it sounded better. So its very much a personal preference, and well worth giving a try -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion