The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2015, 04:00 AM

Default NGD averted

I decided to sell my Furch G40 CM, as it wasn't in the same class as my other guitars. It didn't sell on eBay. Having watched a lot of Pawn Stars, I contacted my local pawn shop, did a little haggling, and agreed a price online. In the shop there was a nice wooden bodied resonator, a used Gretsch Alligator. I was tempted, and went home to think about it. Did I really need another guitar?

I wasn't using my Stanford D1P very much, even though it's a lovely guitar. The strings felt too light for bottleneck, and the action too low. So, I put a shim under the saddle and put on a spare set of Martin MSP4200 mediums. The change was amazing. Nice tight strings, great action for bottleneck and a wonderful sound. NGD averted - for the time being
Old 11-12-2015, 08:32 AM

It's been a few hours since you created this thread - did you buy that Alligator yet? I'm sure it's tempting.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:53 AM

NGD averted ?

nah

NGD just delayed a bit!

Old 11-12-2015, 09:14 AM

"NGD Averted"

My sympathies to you.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utspann View Post
I decided to sell my Furch G40 CM, as it wasn't in the same class as my other guitars. It didn't sell on eBay. Having watched a lot of Pawn Stars, I contacted my local pawn shop, did a little haggling, and agreed a price online. In the shop there was a nice wooden bodied resonator, a used Gretsch Alligator. I was tempted, and went home to think about it. Did I really need another guitar?

I wasn't using my Stanford D1P very much, even though it's a lovely guitar. The strings felt too light for bottleneck, and the action too low. So, I put a shim under the saddle and put on a spare set of Martin MSP4200 mediums. The change was amazing. Nice tight strings, great action for bottleneck and a wonderful sound. NGD averted - for the time being
I feel ya. Sometimes what you got is what you really need. A shim and some strings are a whole lot easier on the wallet, aren't they?

As for the Alligator - you should try a Boxcar before buying a reso. I had a Honeydipper and sold it - too loud and too heavy. I have played several Alligators too and strongly preferred the Boxcar each time.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-17-2015, 05:02 AM

Well if you ever do decide to go for it, and it results in you offloading the Stanford, let me know!

Sold one and miss it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion