The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 PM

Default Odd Kay archtop electric

Picked up a Kay model 6533 today.It's in fair shape so I thought it would be a good resto project...Plugged it in to see if the pickup worked and got no sound,just a hum when I touched the vol control......Now comes the odd part..Took the pickup off and there was no wire coming from it,no hole for a wire,and no hole in the body for a wire.It is a dummie pickup!!..Looked in the body and the vol and tone pots have a wire between them,a cap,but no wire has ever been soldered to them for a pickup..they connect to the jack and there is a ground wire coming from the jack..another number on it is L2875......Any ideas on this? I'll post pics later..left it at my shop...

Last edited by MrSeriousMojo; 10-23-2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 10-23-2015, 09:37 PM

Sounds like you've got a "project". Have fun.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:11 PM

Default Pics

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137282.../shares/pV2uu1
Old 10-25-2015, 05:25 AM

Looks like somebodys old hack job. Perhaps a repair was attempted and messed up or maybe someone wanted to electrify it and gave up on it. It will remain the sort of mystery that makes you wish guitars could talk.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 AM

I thought that might be the case also,but I have another guitar of the same model and the controls and pickup are exactly in the same place. The pickup on this guitar has never even had a place for the wire to come out.I have several of this type of pickup and they all have a notch in the plate for the wire.It has been on the guitar since it was new. The finish under it still shines..Thought maybe it might be a factory display or sample......Who knows!!! And yeah...wish they could talk....lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops