The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 AM

Default which balance pot

I've recently fitted an undersaddle pickup to my Yamaha APX 700 I left the standard one in as well, I kinda like the option to be able switch between the 2 and even blend them together, what sort of pot should I use?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWarning View Post
I've recently fitted an undersaddle pickup to my Yamaha APX 700 I left the standard one in as well, I kinda like the option to be able switch between the 2 and even blend them together, what sort of pot should I use?
If it were me, I would use two independent volumes rather than a blend pot. That'll give you more control and less chance of interfering electronically with each other. Especially if you've got two active systems, you want to try to keep them separate. Even running them out of a stereo jack and blending them outboard is a good idea.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
If it were me, I would use two independent volumes rather than a blend pot. That'll give you more control and less chance of interfering electronically with each other. Especially if you've got two active systems, you want to try to keep them separate. Even running them out of a stereo jack and blending them outboard is a good idea.
thanks for your reply, but I want to make as fewer alterations as possible so I'm using the original onboard preamp/eq, which means the 2 pick ups have to be mixed before the preamp, I was thinking using a blend pot would mean only drilling one hole in the body
Old 10-23-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWarning View Post
thanks for your reply, but I want to make as fewer alterations as possible so I'm using the original onboard preamp/eq, which means the 2 pick ups have to be mixed before the preamp, I was thinking using a blend pot would mean only drilling one hole in the body
I was talking about something like this wired as two volumes. No drilling.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E..._Controls.html
Old 10-23-2015, 11:28 AM

right, didn't know about those, I'll look into it, cheers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair