The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-21-2015, 10:08 PM

Default Undersaddle pickup setup :saddle question

Fishman AG-15 , instructions say to have the saddle 50% in the slot and 50% of it's height above the slot, with the pickup in place. My questions are about why this is the guideline , what happens if the guideline isn't adhered to , and that's basically it. Without raising my saddle's eventual height above what it is now (which I like !) , it's going to be about 60% inside the slot and 40% above the slot . Big deal, or much ado about nothing ?

Muchas gracias !
DS
Old 10-21-2015, 11:07 PM

Not to worry. Potential problems can arise when the saddle is more out of the slot than in it. This is especially so when using a UST, which calls for a looser than usual saddle fit.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Not to worry. Potential problems can arise when the saddle is more out of the slot than in it. This is especially so when using a UST, which calls for a looser than usual saddle fit.
Ok, thanks. Then I won't stress about the saddle fitting normal.
The other question that arises is from the blurbs saying this pickup doesn't need batteries , but an impedance-matching preamp is a good idea.
What's the fuss about matching, and I have a Symetrix SX 202 dual channel pre (that should do fine right?).
DS
Old 10-22-2015, 10:42 PM

Trimming the saddle, drilling holes, and soldering wires was the easy part . I made assembly more 'interesting' than it needed to be, but the thing is in and WOW does it sound great . I immediately (after putting some nickel-wound electric guitar strings on, for EBow Madness ) slapped it into the Pod , with some flange and delay , then the EBow , and this humble Norman B-20 became an instant exotic space-tone generator .

I had used a Baggs soundhole pup in my Lowden , and got some juicy sounds with the EBow, but this undersaddle piezo is a different beast under the same conditions ( EBow , delay, flange, etc. effects) . More of the subtle and strange string resonances I liked on a certain electric guitar I had borrowed. I will use the Baggs in one channel and the Fish in the other , and route them to different pedals . This is quite a bit more interesting than I was expecting from an undersaddle , from which I didn't actually know what to expect at all

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair