The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-30-2015, 05:47 PM

Default Amps

Has anyone had experience with Fender Mustang IV and V amps ? Pros and Cons please. Thanks
Old 09-30-2015, 07:19 PM

I own the Mustang II and I can see no cons.

Multiple amp settings from clean to metal distortion, multiple affects, headphone socket for practice purposes, USB socket, inbuilt tuner and a great price. (What's not to like?).
Old 10-01-2015, 02:48 AM

But footswitching options are not available in the I and II versions, AFAIK - you will have to move to III and up for that. (Maybe that is of no importance to you, but that is something I have been pondering over myself...)
Old 10-01-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom PC View Post
But footswitching options are not available in the I and II versions, AFAIK - you will have to move to III and up for that. (Maybe that is of no importance to you, but that is something I have been pondering over myself...)
Not entirely true. I have a Mustang I and have a foot switch. However, it's just a single button so I can only toggle between two configurations. The higher Mustangs have more buttons on the foot switches.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:52 AM

I see, thanks for clearing that up. I just had another check, and you are of course right

I do believe though that the footswitch is included with the III amps and up, whereas they are separate options with I and II.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom PC View Post
I see, thanks for clearing that up. I just had another check, and you are of course right

I do believe though that the footswitch is included with the III amps and up, whereas they are separate options with I and II.
I think you are correct. I know I had to buy the switch separately for the Mustang I.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
Has anyone had experience with Fender Mustang IV and V amps ? Pros and Cons please. Thanks
I have two version 1 Mustangs,

100 Watt 1x12 M-III and the 150 Watt 2x12 M-IV

Pros? the list is a mile long. I'll summarize..

despite the low cost of these things, they do quite a lot, and they do it quite well. If I compare the baggage I need with my marshall combo, and the pedal board I use (A pedal train I, which in the carry case, is probably as heavy as the Mustang III.) the Mustangs are very easy to logistically deal with.

if you're going to go with a Mustang, I'd recommend at minimum the Mustang III. The added control you get with the LCD verses the control panel on the I and II is a vast improvement, you wont need fuse or interfacing with a PC with the III, IV and V. The LCD gives you access to all the amp and advanced settings, (like cab emulation, bias, sag, noise gates, etc).

Control wise, the only thing that is missing from the LCD are a few minor settings, (like the bright on/off control for the twin and vox amp models.) for that you need fuse, but that's all very easy to get working with Windows 7.

Also the 100watts in the M-III gives you more head room if you're going to use it with a band. and should mention the III comes with an upgraded speaker compared to the 40watt 1x12 II.

The ease of setup and the minimal amount of cables and "stuff" to worry about is a huge +. With the 2 and 4 button foot controllers, you have complete control over your presets. Of which, you'll only realistically need 4 or 5 of the available 100 presets. The built in effects are totally usable, and negate the need for any additional signal processing.. A good cable is all you'll need. (the 2 button FS comes with the M-III the 4 button FS comes with the IV. you can buy them separately, to enable 6 button control with two FS's with the M-III, M-IV, or the M-V head/cab setup)

If you set things up FUSE and a USB connection, you can backup/restore, update firmware, make / edit new presets, ..etc.. so you'd eventually want to get he FUSE connections working with your PC. Once you start to play around, making your own presets, you eventually find that if you go to the amp presets that are just the "Basic" presets, this is where you'll find the better settings as starting points. The Deluxe, Twin and Bassman amp settings are fantastic, but it's not only those,, there are a lot of great sounding amp presets to explore and make your own

Regarding the cons,, one is the factory presets, while there are a number of good ones, there are some that are just horrible. This derails a lot of people on their first impressions. Just go in to this knowing that you do have to spend a little bit of time getting to know you're way around the settings and details. There's a lot of stuff out on the internet for these amps (Good demos on "how to", as well as a quite a few download-able presets you can import to your amp)

a lot of guys tend to have problems with the head phone jack, I guess that can break pretty easily if you yank on it too hard, I never use head phones, so I don't see this particular issue as a problem.
I've gigged with these amps, for those times when we were doing one or two sets at a benefit or festival. the ability to drop these combos on the stage, with just the foot controllers and a cable? Easy on, easy off!

The M-III is a totally usable combo for gigging, and the M-IV is just a lot of amp, 150 watts and 2x12s covers a lot of sonic ground. I find the M-IV is the one I'll use most of the time for gigs, as I just appreciate the 2x12 sound coverage area a bit more than 1x12. The other guitarist in the band I work in has a III, and he does just fine with it.

Reliability wise, I've had no problems. I'm pretty active on the Fender message board for these amps, and from reading all the posts there, not too many people have a lot of problems.

Last edited by rmp; 10-01-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:24 AM

Default Amps

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:05 PM

Or you could look for a used Fender Mustang Floor floorboard multi-effects unit (they're discontinued but seem to be around). That would give you your switching options and the Mustang presets....
Old 10-01-2015, 02:13 PM

I know the first thing most tube guys will think when i say this is i have no ear. But i spent a number of years building tube amps from scratch looking for MY idea of perfection. (work in elec. tech industry) My target was master volume amp tone because i know theres no way to truly get cranked non master tone other than cranking an amp. I i knew the kind of tone i wanted COULD be great with a master. anyways, point is, i played nothing but tubes since the early 70's and went thru a truckload of amps, some very good. My own amps i felt were the best so far, but it took me about 10 years to truly come up with what i wanted.

I only mention that so you know where i'm coming from when i tell you that i now play a mustang III and actually gave my tube amps to a friends son. That pretty much says it all as far as how I feel about the Mustang, but i'll add one more thing....unless the tone YOU look for in an amp is in there, and unless you are able to find it in an infinitely adjustable amp, you may feel very different from me. Most people should be able to dial up a really good tone quickly, but that last few % that separates good from great may not happen w/o spending the time to find it. But like any gear it's either amazing or mediocre depending on the person. I just thought i'd relay my experience to show you just how great it CAN be if it's tight for you and you figure out how to get the best from it for you. One last thing about that....clean sounds IMO are servicable at best. I prefer OD that is very dynamic and cleans up with the guiar pot. If i wanted fender cleans i'd still be using tubes.

Personally, it's the first time in decades of playing that i've been so satisfied with an amp that even after about 1.5 years i have absolutely ZERO desire to try something else. For my tastes it's perfect, and i literally feel it not only sounds but FEELS exactly like tubes except for one thing....it can be more dynamic, more touch sensitive (again depending on your ability to tweak and choosing the model that does it) than most tube amps. To sum it up in a sentence that will sound impossible but is true, it's the single best gear purchase of my entire life. And we don't wanna talk about how much gear that includes ! I could open several guitar stores if i had it all back.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:29 PM

Johnny, you pretty much nailed it.

Like yourself, I've been at this for decades, tossed around thousands of lbs worth of gear, spent lots of time and dough searching.... and searching

only to come to compromise..

"This is great but..."

you can pretty much find almost everything your looking for with these amps
amazing stuff for what they cost... people shun them quickly as more MIC crap but not really the case..

Fender got these RIGHT..

the next gen of these, who knows. Yamaha has put out a new TH modeling amp but it's not as extensive as the Mustang... it's really really good.. but,, you're looking at three to four x the cost and it's just an amp... no fx beyond reverb.

cheers man!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:52 PM

There will always be players who accept nothing but tubes (even I love a good Fender tube amp), but they don't know what they're missing when it comes to the Fender Mustang range. (Versatility is the big one for me).
Old 10-06-2015, 10:55 AM

Understandably, the Fender tones are by far the best with the Vox a close second.
The metal tones are OK, but you're not going to get a great Marshall out of it.
I run mine through a Digitech tube RP20 and I'm a very happy guitar player, I can get any clean to medium gain sound I hear in my head with minimal fuss.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:23 AM

As someone who just wants "that Fender Sound," I found the Mustangs spooky on that count. They just NAIL it. I bought a "I" but returned it because I got an unreal deal on a Genz-Benz acoustic amp. But I'm back to gigging again and might want to get a II or III. I don't need pure tube sound for what I'm doing, and this is real, real close.

THEN you factor in the versatility, which is just crazay and updateable online. You can get a lot of cool tones, and it's not that hard to find them. I would think a IV or V would be too much for a lot of people these days, but if you're in that situation, more power to ya (pun intended).
Old 10-08-2015, 07:02 AM

If you're gigging, get the III, the added horsepower (100watts vs. 40watts) and a better stock speaker is well worth the extra cash.

The IV is a good choice too, if you like the added coverage of the 2x12 and some of the built in stereo features that the IV can take advantage of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars