The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 PM

Default Is it worth fixing a Taylor Expression p/u ? UPDATE.

I bought a 2007 Taylor 312ce on eBay recently. It has been well used, dings and scratches, waaay high action, but was quite cheap.

It is now with a Taylor authorised repairer having it's NT neck re-set. This costs £90 ($140).

I knew the electrics were dodgy, so I asked him to just check them in case it was something trivial.

I figured if it was just a bad connection or such I would get it fixed.
If it needed expensive repair or replacement, I would gut it and just fit a K&K mini.

I have now had an email telling me that the neck p/u is dead and would I like it replaced for £40 ($60) ?

Assuming this would restore it to original performance, would it be worth it ? Or better to rip it out and go with a new K&K instead ?

What say ye ?

Last edited by Long Jon; 10-01-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 PM

Depends on whether you like the ES or not. If you don't like it then don't spend the money. Not worth it. Get a different pickup.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Which system--Expression or K&K--do you like better? If it's just a money thing, and assuming the neck p/u repair will restore the Expression system to fully functional, then $60 is cheaper than a K&K + install.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 09-24-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Which system--Expression or K&K--do you like better? If it's just a money thing, and assuming the neck p/u repair will restore the Expression system to fully functional, then $60 is cheaper than a K&K + install.
This is my problem, I have NO experience of the Taylor expression system. I have read a lot of negative stuff about it.

I have a K&K in a Martin dread and a JJB (K&K half price clone) in my GS Mini.

I installed them myself, easy peasy, I know that both of these are very good and I am a fan of the simplicity of them.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:28 PM

I would get the ES fixed. If I were in the market for a used Taylor I'd want it stock. I think if someone doesn't like the ES, they should buy/order a Taylor without electronics and add whatever pickup they like. Ripping out the factory electronics seems to be a trend these days, though.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
This is my problem, I have NO experience of the Taylor expression system. I have read a lot of negative stuff about it.
I don't know about them either, but I know that there has been a lot of good things said too. The good news is that virtually any Taylor you'd find at a dealer will have the expression system in it; so, visit a local dealer, plug one in, and let your own ears decide...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 09-24-2015, 12:58 PM

Hello,
$140.00 to reset a nt neck is pretty high, in my opinion.
Loosen the strings, reach inside and unbolt 3 bolts, change the
shims to get the desired neck angle, and reassemble.
Check set up, and the job is done. No more than 30 40 minutes.
If you have the neck reset, you might as well spend the money on the
neck pickup, as the neck has to be removed to replace the pickup.

Mike

Michael Hedges
Old 09-24-2015, 12:59 PM

I would get it repaired. No doubt about it. Congrats on the Taylor.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 09-25-2015, 06:25 AM

Thanks for your input everyone.

I have asked the shop to go ahead and replace the faulty pup.

Should have it back next week. I'll update this then.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I don't know about them either, but I know that there has been a lot of good things said too. The good news is that virtually any Taylor you'd find at a dealer will have the expression system in it; so, visit a local dealer, plug one in, and let your own ears decide...
That'll be the NEW system. Big difference as I understand it.

Anyhoo, I think for 40 it is worth a gamble, we shall see.... Even after these repairs it will come to less than half the cost of a new one.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:42 AM

It should work out well for you - last I checked when I was at the Taylor factory, they wanted $400 US directly to upgrade my ES to their latest version.

Is yours a 9V or AA system?

Down the road if finances work out, you can always switch over to any non ES system.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:11 PM

Thumbs up UPDATE : Me a happy camper !

Got my new (to me) 312ce back from the Taylor approved tech yesterday.

Neck is re-set to factory spec, Expression system (9v) is fixed. Everything is working beautifully.

Tip o' the hat to Chris at : http://caguitarworks.co.uk/

I have been giving this guitar a thorough workout since I got it back. So much so that my finger tips are a bit hurty now.

As stated this was an impulse buy, (by a Martin guy), so subject to remorse, but I am pretty pleased with it so far.

It is shorter scale than my Martin D's and is sapele rather than r/w. Smaller body, so more comfortable and couch friendly.

Sounds and plays like a Taylor, nice'n'easy. Works well for my singing.

Has Elixir mediums on it. Will probably try some Martin PB mediums when it's time. (I've got several packs, I use them on everything.)

It makes a nice addition to my little stable, got a few dings, some slight buckle rash on back and pick rash round bottom of sound hole,
well above "beater" status, but still relatively cheap.

I can take this to a pub open mic or round to buddies' places without having to be too precious about it.

All in all a pretty nice li'l geetar. I shall certainly keep her for a while. I am pretty sure we can bond.

ps. I know , pics or it didn't happen. Cant be bothered. It's just like this one, but with more scratches !

Old 10-01-2015, 07:40 PM

XLNT! and good for you.

Sounds like you made the right decision
Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 AM
Cocobologist

Congrats! FYI - I've found that full medium string sets tend to choke the top of my GCs (too much tension). You may want to try either lights or a hybrid set (like Elixir HD) to see how she sounds with them.

Have fun!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 10-02-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Congrats! FYI - I've found that full medium string sets tend to choke the top of my GCs (too much tension). You may want to try either lights or a hybrid set (like Elixir HD) to see how she sounds with them.

Have fun!
Thanks Gutch and Montesdad ! I am enjoying it.
I think the strings on it are meds. definitely Elixirs, they were new on when I bought it last week, so I left them on.

It doesn't sound "choked", but I know what you mean.
I had a Recording King (copy of a OO style Gibby) that sounded much better and actually louder with lights.
I have some D'Addario EJ16s (light) that I could try when I've knackered these Elixirs, which won't be too long the way I've been going at it !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification