The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2015, 06:03 PM

Default So Much for Buying Local

Went to one of the two Taylor dealers in Reno today. It's 100 mi round trip, was there last week and put my name/phone# and a hold on one of two exceptional GS Mini-Koa guitars they had... Both had great tops. Arrived today and was told that they had sold both to a client they have in China who buys a lot of Taylors from them. That both guitars were meant for him (China) and I shouldn't have been shown them to begin with... Not exactly Taylor policy from what I know! When I was there the first time the sales guy said they eBay a lot of Taylors as well as sell to China. So yeah, I'm an unhappy (ex-customer) and pissed because it's tough to find exceptional wood on the GS-Mini. But they're out there and I'll eventually find one... rant over.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:08 PM

Default "Hold" on guitars

I have mixed feelings on this one. Yes, they should have honored the hold, but how many times have they held guitars and been stood up on it?

Why would they pass one a sure sale if you "might" buy them?

On the other hand, when the Chinese buyer inquired they should have let you know and given you right of first refusal.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:25 PM

They told me they sell a lot of guitars to China, specifically this one buyer. Is this what Taylor intended when they set them up as retailer... obviously they are being re-sold in China, no doubt at a premium. Unless I'm way out in left field here I would expect that if Taylor wants to sell in China they have a distributor in place. The retailers they authorize in the USA are probably expected to sell in the USA.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:35 PM

Do two things Sage, stop supporting this dealer, and report this to Taylor. As I understand it US dealers are not be allowed to export some brands and models, perhaps the koa mini is included in this restriction.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:04 PM

Music Zoo just got in a boat load of those:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/category/...ustic-Guitars/

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 08-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarsan View Post
Music Zoo just got in a boat load of those:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/category/...ustic-Guitars/
I was in their shop today and there were many of them on display. Nice shop.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-19-2015, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Ouch, sorry to hear this. I would permanently be an ex-customer of that particular store too.

-Mike
Old 08-19-2015, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

While it would have been incredibly nice of them to call and inform you, if you really wanted one of those, I'd have expected a deposit of some reasonable percentage would be paid to make sure that it got held for you. Otherwise, cash in hand always wins -
Old 08-19-2015, 11:36 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
While it would have been incredibly nice of them to call and inform you, if you really wanted one of those, I'd have expected a deposit of some reasonable percentage would be paid to make sure that it got held for you. Otherwise, cash in hand always wins -
Yep, should have bought one of them when I first saw them.

But I think you missed the point. The point is... China, an authorized dealer knowingly selling Taylor Guitars for mark-up resale in China.

Done deal, moving on.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Understood - and I do feel for you for missing on one of those. I sincerely hope that you'll find another soon that is even more appealing -

But does it matter if its someone in China, or someone in Chile, or Czechoslovakia, or just Chicago? A chain shop, a solo shop, or just an individual?Free market, supply and demand, etc, etc etc - Its just grey market sales, like the people who get on the waiting lists of "hot" builders and buy guitars cheaply, then immediately turn around and resell them on the secondary market for lots more. Thats even more upsetting, because that one man shop could probably really use that extra markup more than that big corporation. So imagine, there may be a serious guitar player in China(?) who will be really appreciative that they might get a guitar that otherwise would not have been available to them for whatever reason -

But that doesn't help you - I do hope you find one -
Old 08-20-2015, 01:09 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
Went to one of the two Taylor dealers in Reno today. It's 100 mi round trip, was there last week and put my name/phone# and a hold on one of two exceptional GS Mini-Koa guitars they had... Both had great tops. Arrived today and was told that they had sold both to a client they have in China who buys a lot of Taylors from them. That both guitars were meant for him
Why didn't you just buy them when you were there?

If you drove that far without the funds to make the purchase, why not wait until you had the funds?

I'm sure you're a nice person, but you're not really going to get much sympathy on this one. Put yourself in their shoes: You made no real commitment to them, a hold really is worthless without a deposit. I wouldn't honor such a thing either, I'd want to get paid. Being mad at them for selling guitars to people in China is kind of like being mad at Apple for selling iPhones in China. You had your chance and you passed, it's not their fault, it's yours.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:12 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
Ouch, sorry to hear this. I would permanently be an ex-customer of that particular store too.

-Mike
Really? C'mon, they did nothing wrong except sold guitars and made some money. The OP is being childish and is mis-directing his anger in a non-productive manner. Instead of whining he should learn the lesson and make sure to not duplicate the error in the future.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:55 AM

If you're 100 miles from Reno...
Seems you could/should call Ted at LA guitar sales.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 08-20-2015, 04:10 AM

I'm not familiar with Taylor's policies, but from my perspective, they should be able to sell to anyone. It's the OP's choice to never visit them again, but it should also be their choice who they sell to. It's their money on the line.
2003 Ibanez AW1050ce
1994 Martin D16H93
2023 Eastman E1OM special
Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage1 View Post
Went to one of the two Taylor dealers in Reno today. It's 100 mi round trip, was there last week and put my name/phone# and a hold on one of two exceptional GS Mini-Koa guitars they had... Both had great tops. Arrived today and was told that they had sold both to a client they have in China who buys a lot of Taylors from them. That both guitars were meant for him (China) and I shouldn't have been shown them to begin with... Not exactly Taylor policy from what I know! When I was there the first time the sales guy said they eBay a lot of Taylors as well as sell to China. So yeah, I'm an unhappy (ex-customer) and pissed because it's tough to find exceptional wood on the GS-Mini. But they're out there and I'll eventually find one... rant over.
Sucks but...
1. You should have called them before heading back and confirmed they still had them available
2. You should have left a deposit.
You can't blame for selling guitars. That's how they stay in business.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion