The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2004, 04:01 AM

Default 414 In Shop, D-18GE Coming

I posted about my cracked 414 (the back seam), and GC has sent it back to Taylor for "finishing." Yesterday, I was surfing the web and came upon a new but "not factory sealed" Martin D-18GE for $2032. I've always wanted a Martin Dread so I ordered it from Music123. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. Does anyone know anything about a guitar being "not factory sealed"? It turns out to be $700. cheaper than a "factory sealed" D-18GE. They say that a "not factory sealed" guitar is like new, and perfect in every way except for the factory wrapping. If this is true then I got a heck of a deal, or is it too good to be true?

Thanks.

BTW, I miss my 414 .
Martin 000-28EC
Old 01-30-2004, 05:19 AM

I have opened many a box from the factor from Taylor and Martin and don't recall ever seeing any seal? maybe its there way of calling new old stock either way they are selling it to your at close to dealer net as the cost for a GE is about what your paying . As long as you have 48 hour approval or 30 day better yet go for it all your out is shipping. I am interested in a Martin D18 GE myself and if you are not interested in that one let me know.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 01-30-2004, 05:34 AM

Thanks Stixx, after your observation, my theory is that "not factory sealed" simply means that the box has been opened.

Actually, I have 45 days to return it if I'm not happy. It came with free shipping too, but I opted for 2nd day.

I've always wanted a D-18GE myself, especially since the 1 3/4" neck will make it easy to switch between that and my 414.

I can't imagine why, but if it turns out that I'm unhappy with it (and there's nothing wrong with it), I'll contact you first.

BTW, what is it that attracts you to the D-18GE?

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:06 AM

The Martin D-18 GE is quite a guitar. At $2032, and if it is in new condition, you made a nice deal. Alternatives in the Taylor line would have been a 510 at $xxxx.xx or 710 at $xxxx.xx or even a 610 at $xxxx.xx. The sound of these guitars is quite impressive and your budget would be the final factor on which to base your decision. You might save about $xxxx.xx on the 510 because they are usually highly discounted, as much as xx% sometimes. The 610 and 710 may cost you about $xxxx.xx more, depending upon whether they are discounted at xx% or xx%. I'd describe the sound but I'm not sure you're allowed to do that here.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:38 AM

There is a seal. I got a d35 from musicians friend and the case was shrink wrapped onto a piece of cardboard and i was told thats how it comes from martin. Kinda cool actually. I was the first person to touch it outside of the Martin facility.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:38 AM

Ace43, It's been shipped, I just learned; it will be here on Monday before 4:30 PM. I'm totally psyched!

All those Taylors you mentioned are fine alternatives, but since I already have a Taylor, I think I'll be better off with a different sound, plus the fact that my 414 cracked all the way down the back has me gunshy about Taylor now (even though I know that any brand of instrument could crack).

Maybe my next instrument will be one of the models you mentioned. Either way, it's win-win.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:40 AM

Thanks George, that explains it completely.

Any idea why they would drop the price $700. because of the shrink wrap?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:52 AM

You can generally find D-18 GEs at roughly $2300 new. Isn't it nice not to have to be so secretive about such things?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:59 AM

Ace, I still saved, so I'm very happy.

It is, but I respect TGFs policy, not a problem really.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:15 AM

Yeah, I respect it too. I just don't believe it. You'll have a ball with your D-18 GE. It will have the Martin bottom end Taylors lack along with plenty of brightness. You'll be very happy with it. Enjoy!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:17 AM

Thanks again Ace,

My Taylor is perfect for some of my songs, especially fingerplayed, but for others I've always longed for more bottom end (as you mentioned).

I've put a lot of thought into what would be my next guitar, and I actually bought that guitar instead of settling for something cheaper. When I bought my Taylor, I bought what I could afford (414), but that wouldn't have been my first choice if money was no object. Out of all the axes in Martin's lineup, my first choice was a D-18GE.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion