The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-02-2015, 08:47 AM

Default Looper Purchase

I don't want to hijack another thread...

But it is July 4th, and everyone has a sale coming.

I live out in the woods and don't come into town much (except to work). I've been eyeing loopers recently (but have not test driven anything). I'm thinking of making an impulse buy during lunch (so I can have some fun over the long weekend). I have a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center in driving distance.

The Ditto is the only looper I have really researched, and so I am leaning that way (cheap, true bypass, long recording time, layering). However, I think the cost is really higher than the $99 price tag, because it has no power supply...
It was also on sale recently for $79 and I didn't jump...

Any suggestions of loopers, locations, or haggling methods would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
I don't want to hijack another thread...

But it is July 4th, and everyone has a sale coming.

I live out in the woods and don't come into town much (except to work). I've been eyeing loopers recently (but have not test driven anything). I'm thinking of making an impulse buy during lunch (so I can have some fun over the long weekend). I have a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center in driving distance.

The Ditto is the only looper I have really researched, and so I am leaning that way (cheap, true bypass, long recording time, layering). However, I think the cost is really higher than the $99 price tag, because it has no power supply...
It was also on sale recently for $79 and I didn't jump...

Any suggestions of loopers, locations, or haggling methods would be appreciated.
If you just want to use this for practice the Ditto is fine but if you ever want to use it in live performance the Ditto X2 is a must because you can use 2 buttons for start and stop
Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM

I am thinking only practice - working out lead runs and that sort of thing.

If I go beyond practice, I want more than the X2. I want to play the verse, and save/recall, and the chorus save/recall, and maybe the bridge save/recall. What I'm saying is, I want more than one loop coming off and on at that point. I'd rather practice on a cheap model (Ditto) and if I really like looping, get a bigger feature model and sell the old one off.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:08 AM

I have the Boss RC1 for practice purposes and am happy with it. 12 minutes of recording time, and I think the loop indicator is actually helpful for working parts out and the recorded phrase is stored in memory even after you turn it off.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith g View Post
I have the Boss RC1 for practice purposes and am happy with it. 12 minutes of recording time, and I think the loop indicator is actually helpful for working parts out and the recorded phrase is stored in memory even after you turn it off.
That demo actually looks nice with the loop indicator... now I'm confused which I want They are the same price, but if RC1 comes with a power cord, that saves a few bucks.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:32 AM

Check out the JamMan Express XT. It's like the Ditto in that it's a simple looper but it has twice the memory, can run on batteries, can link with other XT loopers so it can sort of grow into more advanced looping with you, and it has the Silent Clear feature.

Silent Clear eliminates what I discovered is the probably the most annoying thing about single pedal loopers, the Ditto included. When you want to clear a loop you have to press and hold the footswitch. So what happens is the loop plays for a few seconds before the device realizes you want to clear it. The Express doesn't do this because the switch pickups up on the release to start playback not the down press so when you press and hold it just clears it.

I bought the JamMan Solo just to try looping and got a nice one used at a good price. Ended up having to also buy the extension switch due to the play when clearing issue. I wish I had just bought the Express XT since all I wanted was a practice buddy that would play the same chord progression for a long as I wanted. : )

Here is a tip I saw that saved me lots of frustration. When using the looper to record start and stop it on (or a fraction of a second before) the downbeat on the one count. So if you record one measure 1-2-3-4 you will start it on the 1 and then end it on the 1 of the second measure not the 4 of the first. As soon as you hit the button to stop recording playback begins so what you played on the 1 of the first measure will be played for the 1 of the second.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 AM

I currently am selling my JamMan Express XT for $75 and free shipping. It is about six months old and I'm selling to upgrade to the Ditto 2 for live gigs. Be happy to send you some pics if you send me your email address. Good luck in your search.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 07-02-2015, 10:59 AM

I grabbed a RC-1

It was recommended over the ditto by the sales man because "boss is virtually indestructible" - then they tried to sell me an extended warranty . Honestly, any of them would work fine, but I think the visual timer for the duration of the loop will be helpful getting started. That and the bigger profile of the stomp will work better bearfooted at home (can you believe I actually read that in a review and thought YES, that is important).

Anyway, I got cold feet in the store, the sales guy immediately offered a small break on the sales price and so I got it and a power cable. I have 45 days to exchange/return if I don't like it... so I'll practice for a month, and then go test drive the ditto to see if I want to exchange They were out of stock today anyway.

The XT Express, and Hotone Wall E were in stock too, but I have no idea how to test drive these things and I want it now... The Wall E was the cheapest of the bunch, but it looks so small I'm scared my kids would wander off with it, or my toes would turn the knobs when I stomp barefoot at home!

For anyone browsing this later, here are the differences (as I see them) of the $100 loopers:

RC-1 : visual indicator of loop duration, stereo out, upgrade to 2 button fs for $50, 12 minutes
Jamman XT : stereo out, silent off, better upgrade options with other jamman products, 10 minutes
Ditto : true bypass, uncompressed (probably the best sound quality), 5 minutes
Hotone Wally : The cheapest option, true bypass, 15 minutes

Here is a (possibly bias) look at whether or not you really want true bypass in your pedal (hint: it depends) http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=1611

Last edited by Pualee; 07-02-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I used to own a Boss RC 2 with a single pedal.

For any live situation a two step looper is better.

Got a Ditto 2 for $139 new on Ebaby.Not too bad a deal IMO

Last edited by guitargabor; 07-06-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I used to own a Boss RC 20 with a single pedal.

Hi gg…

I agree two pedals is better, and the original RC-20 had two pedals not one.

I used one and it lead to me purchasing an RC-20XL which is still my go-to looper many years later.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-06-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
I used to own a Boss RC 20 with a single pedal.

I don't know if I will use it live yet... but for the price of a ditto, I got the RC-1. For another $30 - 50 I can get a boss foot switch which turns the RC1 to a 2 button setup. I think I'd still lose on a other cable and power supply, but it is in the neighborhood of the ditto 2 price...

Basically I got in at entry level price and I can move up to the next step without any loss/resale issues... if I decide to use it live.

BTW, I had a blast with it this weekend, working out some improv leads for a song. I'm having a hard time getting my son to practice anymore, so this is helping.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification