The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Default What do you do?

When you get a new piece of gear, like a new amp, do you just take it out and learn on the job? How else can you duplicate real world conditions?

I generally do not like surprises. I'm thinking of getting a Carvin AG300, and the first use is likely to be bass guitar, Uke, and acoustic. Thinking of the Carvin to cover all the basses, but other than becoming familiar with the layout, is there anything else you do?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM

Nope. "You pay your money and take your chances." Seriously though, people I know will take their setup to an open mic and give it a go. It's a lot of work for 3 or so songs, but it will give you a live demo.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM

A lot of open mics won't let you set up amps, there's a time situation amongst other considerations.
You can set it up at home, but obviously you can't get the same sound or volume you would at a venue you are playing - but that is always a matter of 'setting up' , too, until you return to that same equipment.
Get familiar with the equipment - what adjustments work (and don't work), what the knobs and switches do, etc. get the gig early, set up, and figure out how you can adjust the controls/sound before starting - using a looper or an MP3 player with one of your songs on it are possible ways.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-27-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
A lot of open mics won't let you set up amps, there's a time situation amongst other considerations.
You can set it up at home, but obviously you can't get the same sound or volume you would at a venue you are playing - but that is always a matter of 'setting up' , too, until you return to that same equipment.
Get familiar with the equipment - what adjustments work (and don't work), what the knobs and switches do, etc. get the gig early, set up, and figure out how you can adjust the controls/sound before starting - using a looper or an MP3 player with one of your songs on it are possible ways.
True, but a few will let you setup your stuff in advance in the background. At the open mic I co hosted, we allowed it for people we knew. A showcase I play at weekly allows amps.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:23 PM

Turn on your TV and stereo in your house and perform through your amplifier while all the loud ambient noise is going on. It helps you get used to EQing your amplifier when having to play louder to get above ambient noise. Ric
Old 04-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
When you get a new piece of gear, like a new amp, do you just take it out and learn on the job?
Hi Br1ck…

A mic maybe, but a preamp, amp, clip on tuner, capo, or other key component never goes to a gig till I've thoroughly vetted it at home. And probably in front of or along side my gigging partner.

I have gear here to simulate any live situation.

Why would I subject band-mates, audience, or sound techs to my learning a new piece of gear?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-28-2015, 09:56 PM

I recently upgraded my gear from an old powered mixer and passive 12's to a pair of K10's and mixer. While I guessed the basics would be pretty similar I was sure some differences small or large would be found. So I hired, a few times, a small rehearsal room for a few hours.

Gives you room to fiddle about and tweak and see what is the same and what is not quite. I can't make the same 'noise' at home. I do the same thing when working up new songs.

Kris
Old 04-29-2015, 03:17 AM

You can't really duplicate real world conditions but what you CAN do is educate yourself as much as possible on your new piece of equipment beforehand to minimize the surprises.

Before I even buy it (let alone use it) I'll try to learn as much as I can about it by reading reviews and watching Youtube videos to get a sense of how it sounds, feels, etc... and learn of its nuances through others' experiences with it. Then I'll buy it and read the manual. Then I'll mess with it a little at home. Then I'll think about how I'm going to incorporate it at my gig. THEN, I'll take it and try it live.

So although I've never used it "live", I show up at the gig "informed" so I kinda know what to expect, how it works and how to deal with it if something goes wrong. You are always going to have some trial and error aspect to a certain extent but I try to minimize it as much as possible.

What you should NOT do is take it to your gig blind and "learn on the job" with it as it can make you look (and sound) unprepared and unprofessional.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog

Last edited by Kalani; 04-29-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:08 AM

I play around with anything, to learn it. Then play it live. Sometimes a new pedal sounds bad live and good at home. I just disconnect it at the gig if its bad.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:02 AM

The open mic I go to has great equipment already. .So all I do is show up and sing.. It's great! But to answer your question I think it's better to work the bugs out at home.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:52 AM

I test it out beforehand. In fact doing that right now with a new to me SA220 Soloamp. It's first voyage outside the house will be this Sunday at a farmers market gig. I will certainly need to tweak things once it's set up at the gig but a lot of messing about beforehand gives me a good head start.

I love the idea of turning on the TV/radio to see how a rig will compete with a lot of bar noise. Very clever idea.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:33 PM

I test stuff out in the basement and/or the garage as much as I can before playing out with it. It won't be 100% the same as at a performance venue but at least I can experiment and learn quite a bit ahead of time . . . or discover if something just doesn't work no matter what.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification