The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Comparing tonewoods - wouldn't this be great?

All the discussion on "which wood do YOU prefer?" got me thinking... I've heard lots of tonewoods, often side-by-side, but rarely have I heard more than two side-by-side in the same model/manufacturer of guitar with equally fresh strings, etc.

I think I know what I like and dislike, but blindfolded I really don't think I could name more than two or three woods based just on sound. Sure maple would stand out, maybe rosewood or koa...

Wouldn't it be great if Taylor created a CD for customers with side-by-side open E's recorded on the same model (i.e. x14) with the same strings for all the different tonewoods? And then, perhaps, had a topwood side-by-side (i.e. a 714 with engelman & sitka spruce, cedar, and maybe a solid Koa, etc)? Oh, and then, all woods/etc being equal, 712 vs. 714 vs. 710 vs. 715 and so on?

Don't get me wrong: I definitely think purchasing a guitar should be a personal experience - own what 'speaks' to you. But then again, this would be interesting..... or is it just me?
Old 01-16-2004, 05:22 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

There is so much variation even between guitars with "identical specs" that you'd still be hard pressed to say all guitars made with XYZ wood will sound a certain way. It would be interesting, but I wouldn't put to much weight on the results.

I read that several years ago George Lowden (of Lowden Guitars) got his crew of builders together to see if they could tell what tone woods were used on a various guitars by listening to them "blindfolded". The outcome was basically that they could not reliably tell what species of wood specific guitars were made of-and these were the folks that built them!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-16-2004, 07:37 PM

Well, I agree with both of you. Since I will soon be in the market, and have not had the pleasure of a lot of experience trying out the various woods, it would surely be nice to get a headstart on the process by listening to such a CD.

At the same time, I too have heard two identical guitars with such tone difference that it was startling.

Bob
Old 01-16-2004, 09:24 PM

Quote:
At the same time, I too have heard two identical guitars with such tone difference that it was startling.
Guitars are really a unique combination of many different materials - not too mention all the variables of when it was made, what the weather conditions were, how seasoned was the wood, what kind of glue was used - as such no two guitars (identical or otherwise) are ever really "alike"....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion