The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-12-2004, 11:43 PM

Default Live: How do you credit the song writer & introduce the song.

I haven't played in front of an audience for many years and I fantasize about getting back into it solo. But when I did play live earlier it was usually with a group and I didn't get much into stage banter or song intros: there wasn't much effort made to introduce a song or give credit to the songwriter. There's a couple questions I've never known the answer to and I'm embarassed to ask since I do know how to secure a copyright for my music.

1) If I want to do a cover of someone elses' song before an audience how do I get permission to do that without copyright infringement? (I'd likely get paid for the gig so I'd be using somebody elses' music to make money).

2) How best to tastefully introduce the song so that the songwriter gets recognized and the intro isn't too abrubt & steril?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:54 PM

I don't know much about copyright laws, but here's what I do when playing live as far as crediting goes. I'll start playing the chord progression, or picking notes that follow the song, and then say "This is a song by ______, and I really enjoy it so I'm gonna play it for you." At least, that's what I do.

One day I'll be a minstrel in the gallery.
And paint you a picture of the queen.
And if sometimes I sing to a cynical degree ---
it's just the nonsense that it seems.

Minstrel In The Gallery, by Jethro Tull
Old 01-13-2004, 03:23 PM

Every bar etc that has a entertainment license pays a flat royality fee. Thats how it works in MA. You don't have to say who wrote a popular song.... the folks know it. If a friend wrote it...... just tell them if you want.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:42 PM

I always like to give credit to the songwriter, if I know who it is, just out of courtesy. Most all of the tunes I do, I know who wrote them. Sometimes I am not able to find out on some of the older ones or more obscure. In those cases I usually try to relate how I found out about the tune. So usually, in a 45 minute set, I get about 3 tunes done. (Not really).
Old 01-13-2004, 05:54 PM

Any venue that has either live or recorded music must have licenses from BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC to cover royalties on music by those agencies' members. I don't know how this fits into the copyright picture since BMI et al don't have anything to do with copyrights, but that's the deal. The licenses are based on the size of the of the venue, and that money is paid in lieu of a separate royalty for each song actually performed.

BTW, it's the venue's responsibility to get the license, not the performer's. All you need to do is follow house rules, if there are any pertaining to what you can and cannot play.

Strictly speaking, I don't think you can play someone else's song if it's not covered by one of the royalty agencies and you don't have express permission from the owner, but I don't know how or even if that's enforced. Of course, if you own the music and don't belong to one of the agencies, you can do what you want.

For performance's sake, you can introduce the song or not, as you see fit. I think it's worthwhile if the song is brand new and/or written by someone of small fame, but well-known songs need no introduction.

Last edited by cpmusic; 01-13-2004 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:54 PM

Thank you all for the education.

I didn't think the copyright issue was even remotely enforceable. There'd be just too many small venues that don't have the appropriate licenses or aren't aware of the need for it.

My thought also, was that if a performer got large and made lots of money and THEN covered a tune written by someone else without permission . . . now that would make it worthwhile for the writer to go after from a legal cost/benefit standpoint. ***Somewhere there's a dollar threshold that justifies legal action apparently.

Lots of wedding ceremonies using bootlegged music, eh?

More experience & information welcome.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whiskeyjack

My thought also, was that if a performer got large and made lots of money and THEN covered a tune written by someone else without permission . . . now that would make it worthwhile for the writer to go after from a legal cost/benefit standpoint. ***Somewhere there's a dollar threshold that justifies legal action apparently.
Actually, if you record someone else's song you have to pay a fee for what is called a mechanical license. If you don't and get caught you will be sued for copyright infringement. Go to the Fox Agency on the internet to find the author and download the forms.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell