The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2015, 06:32 PM

Default Price points for Guitars...

So some of you may know I come from the ukulele world. What I learned about that world is if you got a solid wood things sounded much better. Getting a solid ukulele starts I think around $200 or $250. There really is not any huge difference until you get to about the $400 mark. The wood qualities are much better and the construction seems much better. After that I don't know whats next really and don't care as I've found a $400-$500 instrument is very nice and makes me happy. $1,200is seems like the next big price point and thats for the high end and you get fancy in-lays and hand made details and well, full hand crafted not in a factory etc.

I am trying to figure out if the same is true for guitar, are there any price points in which you get a real difference in quality and construction? Are the price points about the same or different?
Pono Baritone Uke
Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Depends on brand. $1,200 gets you a professional level, solid wood guitar with no cosmetic frills from Larrivee, Takamine, Yairi, and others. With the big 3 brands, you're getting closer to $1,500 to $1,750.
I don't count the Chinese makers because I don't think the tone is in the same league, even though the specs are the same.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:30 PM

I would add that there's another leap in tonal quality at the 4K-7K price point.

I'm sure there are other levels as you go beyond the quality of guitar that most players will never experience.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelegend2 View Post
So some of you may know I come from the ukulele world. What I learned about that world is if you got a solid wood things sounded much better. Getting a solid ukulele starts I think around $200 or $250. There really is not any huge difference until you get to about the $400 mark. The wood qualities are much better and the construction seems much better. After that I don't know whats next really and don't care as I've found a $400-$500 instrument is very nice and makes me happy. $1,200is seems like the next big price point and thats for the high end and you get fancy in-lays and hand made details and well, full hand crafted not in a factory etc.

I am trying to figure out if the same is true for guitar, are there any price points in which you get a real difference in quality and construction? Are the price points about the same or different?
Here's the current landscape.

<$200 All laminate guitars. Beginner grade. Junk.

$200-$400 Solid top guitars with laminate b&s. Intermediate level/good student guitars (e.g. Epiphone AJ-220s, Yamaha FS series, Ibanez AC240)

$400-$600 Solid top guitars with laminate b&s and reasonable electronics. Idea for gigging in bars, open mics, etc... (e.g. Epiphone Inspired By Texan, Alvarez AG series, Takamine)

$600-$800 This is the threshold where you start to get into pro grade all solid woods from Asian builders (Blueridge, Recording King, Epiphone Masterbuilt) These are pro grade instruments with build quality and materials that can hold their own against American made counterparts in tone (some will argue but I've been a guitar snob for years and objectively I can tell you there are amazing values to be found in this category). With guitars of this class you don't have the brand recondition or prestige of being made in the USA. Generally there are also corners being cut by the builders to make these prices low. For example guitars in this range usually will not come with a hard case or have a Nitrocellulose lacquor finish. Inlays usually aren't mother of pearl. Mostly you find cosmetic cost cutting measures that have little impact on tone. American builders are competing in this space with guitars from Mexico. Martin has their X and Road series and Taylor has the 100 and 200 series.

$1000-$1600 this is where you get into the low-end of pro grade American built guitars from name brand builders (e.g. Martin 15 series, Taylor 300 series, Gibson J-15, J-35). These are "entry level" pro grade models built in the USA.

$1600-$3000 This is where you get into the current production model iconic popular pro offerings by American builders (e.g. Martin D18, D28, Gibson J-45, Gibson Hummingbird, Taylor 600 series)

>$3000 Reissues, limited runs, rare woods, customs, highly ornamented guitars

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 02-03-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:46 AM

never seen a 600 guitar without a hardshell case except for a mini. also I owned a j35. not a beginners guitar no matter the price. quality is the same as the j45.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:38 AM

What I have found is with guitars it is not the price tag or the brand but what you are using it for determines what you need. I watched a guy on youtube with 1 string tied to a can on a stick and he was killing it.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:24 AM

Used is where it is at. Higher grade instrument at a lower cost. If you buy right you can sell for what you have invested or very close to it.
Deals are out there.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:04 AM

Hi Fire. I'll add that when I'm looking at sub $1000 guitars I find that the really blingy guitars don't usually sound as good as the non-blingy guitars in the same price range. That's because money is spent on the cosmetics.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:52 AM

for me the price points will be:

no more then $200 laminate, if you stick with guitar you can look for a none USA made one for $699 - $1,249 (all solid wood) - if you want one made in the USA $1,699 - $2,099 now if you want you can go as high as the sky.

For me i would start off at the $200 price point and if the person loves to play and you can hear it i would go for a $2,099 guitar - these are retail prices so you could get them for less.

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 02-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post

$200-$400 Solid top guitars with laminate b&s. Intermediate level/good student guitars (e.g. Epiphone AJ-220s, Yamaha FS series, Ibanez AC240)

$400-$600 Solid top guitars with laminate b&s and reasonable electronics. Idea for gigging in bars, open mics, etc... (e.g. Epiphone Inspired By Texan, Alvarez AG series, Takamine)

$600-$800 This is the threshold where you start to get into pro grade all solid woods from Asian builders (Blueridge, Recording King, Epiphone Masterbuilt) These are pro grade instruments with build quality and materials that can hold their own against American made counterparts in tone (some will argue but I've been a guitar snob for years and objectively I can tell you there are amazing values to be found in this category). With guitars of this class you don't have the brand recondition or prestige of being made in the USA. Generally there are also corners being cut by the builders to make these prices low. For example guitars in this range usually will not come with a hard case or have a Nitrocellulose lacquor finish. Inlays usually aren't mother of pearl. Mostly you find cosmetic cost cutting measures that have little impact on tone. American builders are competing in this space with guitars from Mexico. Martin has their X and Road series and Taylor has the 100 and 200 series.

$1000-$1600 this is where you get into the low-end of pro grade American built guitars from name brand builders (e.g. Martin 15 series, Taylor 300 series, Gibson J-15, J-35). These are "entry level" pro grade models built in the USA.

$1600-$3000 This is where you get into the current production model iconic popular pro offerings by American builders (e.g. Martin D18, D28, Gibson J-45, Gibson Hummingbird, Taylor 600 series)

Nothing to add. Excellent synopsis. I would encourage you to play a few. If you are not a gear head, and are typically satisfied with things when you buy them, then look to the mid priced category and enjoy your instrument. For many of the folks, like me, who are largely unsatisfied with hobbyist things, and always looking to "upgrade," you will waste a lot of money chasing "perfection" in the mid tier category. For me, it would have been cheaper to buy the expensive guitars first. For most, it is not the case.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-04-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post

Thank you that is exactly what I wanted to know!!! You rock!!!
Pono Baritone Uke
Old 02-04-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wada View Post
What I have found is with guitars it is not the price tag or the brand but what you are using it for determines what you need. I watched a guy on youtube with 1 string tied to a can on a stick and he was killing it.
Well I know that but I want to understand the landscape of what your getting for the cost and what changes at price points. It would not be wise to spend a lot of money without understanding those things IMHO.
Pono Baritone Uke
Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Nothing to add. Excellent synopsis. I would encourage you to play a few. If you are not a gear hear, and are typically satisfied with things when you buy them, then look to the mid priced category and enjoy your instrument. For many of the folks, like me, who are largely unsatisfied with hobbyist things, and always looking to "upgrade," you will waste a lot of money chasing "perfection" in the mid tier category. For me, it would have been cheaper to buy the expensive guitars first. For most, it is not the case.
I'm not chasing a dream to be sure, but I am picky. I have a decent ear for hearing differences even if I don't know why or what the difference is, I know I like A better then B etc. I adore my pono and my martin and both of them ran about $399. I am truly happy with them both. I promise not to chase perfection. I did this for ukulele:

Bought a $50 Makala Dolphin for "myself" aka for my daughter. Its hers now and I bring it on car trips because it is not wooden and we both play it. Its not really mine anymore.

Bought a $250 Kala Tenor Mahogany. Very cool, loved it. Kept it for about a year.

Bought a $300 Moku Soprano, was not happy with the sound until I found the perfect strings. After a while my hands would cramp as I progressed in chords and I couldn't play it without getting very annoyed with my fretting hand. Sad to see it go. Swapped it for...

Found a used Martin Concert Koa I believe. LOVE it. Had to find the right strings for it (Worth Brown). Played it for a while and never picked up my kala tenor... so on my birthday I took the kala tenor to the shop..

swapped it for a Concert Kala traveler.... didn't care what I got, didn't really love anything but I never played the tenor anymore... so felt I should atleast swap it for something I would play, when I got home my daughter complained everyone got an ukulele but her so I gave it to her (so now both kids have one).

So I basically have 1 ukulele I play and adore. I think it would have been $450 new. I got it for like $300.

On a whim I bought a Pono Baritone because I thought guitar was a lost cause at the time. Pono had become all the rage on the ukulele forum I was on and everyone said how amazing they sounded. I watched the video of it being played and adored the guitar sound so I ordered it on a whim. I freakin love that thing. I made sure to have the guy everyone loves set it up (Hawaii Music Supply) and its just amazing, only instrument I bought without playing first and I think it was a wise choice. I have a theory that when something is hot they will eventually find ways to make it a little cheaper and you really want to get it at the right time when all this positive reviews are being written. 3 years from now you can still get the same model but who knows if the quality is the same so I jumped on a little bandwagon. That one was risky but totally worth it.

So I have two ukulele's and 1 guitar. It was a relief with ukulele to not want anything else. I was afraid I would be a collector or go over board. It was nice to realize, I am set I don't need another ukulele. I hope that happens with guitar but I know I will probably go through a few instruments to figure it out.
Pono Baritone Uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion