The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-17-2015, 10:37 PM

Default Getting Stiffed...

I'm sure it's happened to pretty much all of us who perform.

So here's the sitch. The pipe major usually plays Danny Boy on the pipes at a local area telethon benefitting the local state operated rehab center. He couldn't do it this year so he passed it onto me, saying they pay. Hence I agreed to it. Well, they didn't.

They have brought in over half a million dollars. They couldn't even spare me like $50 or so? They paid the orchestra and the featured artist, but they can't spare me any change for my contribution? I call bovine feces.

Needless to say I'm steaming.

Anyway, have any stories to share about getting shafted? Further, how did you deal with it?
Old 01-17-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
I'm sure it's happened to pretty much all of us who perform.

So here's the sitch. The pipe major usually plays Danny Boy on the pipes at a local area telethon benefitting the local state operated rehab center. He couldn't do it this year so he passed it onto me, saying they pay. Hence I agreed to it. Well, they didn't.

They have brought in over half a million dollars. They couldn't even spare me like $50 or so? They paid the orchestra and the featured artist, but they can't spare me any change for my contribution? I call bovine feces.

Needless to say I'm steaming.

Anyway, have any stories to share about getting shafted? Further, how did you deal with it?
If you didn't have a specific agreement with anyone at the promotion, you are SOL. I wouldn't particularly be steamed at them for you not finding out the particulars from someone in the promotion, rather than your buddy.

I've done benefits like that over the decades without get paid and it is normal.

However, if some music was getting paid and you weren't, you have cause to at least ask. Did you?

P.S. Good story about a band getting shafted, you know how everyone sits around in the parking lot gabbing about what a buttwipe the owner was & how they'd like to do this & that to 'em... blah, blah, woof, woof? Years ago in Louisville area a friend's blues band got shafted & that scenario went down... someone in the band blurted "we aughta blow up that club!" Well, the lead player, as it turns out, was the former president of a local outlaw motorcycle gang. He went over to his trunk and started pulling out dynamite. The rest of the band quickly changed their tune, preventing him from involving them all in a nasty piece of work!

Last edited by kydave; 01-17-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:17 PM

No, I didn't stick around long enough. I stormed out of there because I was pissed.

Needless to say I will be following up.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:22 PM

Out of curiosity, if someone performs for free at a benefit event, could this technically be considered a tax deductible contribution?

Not the same as getting cash, for sure. Just wondering.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:29 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarre View Post
Out of curiosity, if someone performs for free at a benefit event, could this technically be considered a tax deductible contribution?

Not the same as getting cash, for sure. Just wondering.
Nope. Not a deduction
Old 01-17-2015, 11:54 PM

Donating your services? Nope. But donating your guitar, or a bunch of your CDs? Yup. (Just don’t overvalue them).

Around here, only the largest charities pay only the more famous artists for playing at benefits (and usually only travel & lodging expenses at that). If I’m asked to play at a benefit, it’s understood that I’m making a contribution, albeit non-deductible.

True story: when the Old Town School of Folk Music decided to move its HQ from Lincoln Park to its Lincoln Sq. building (a converted regional library), it threw a benefit concert to convince attendees to start contributing some seed money for future development, outreach and education. They reached out to Joni Mitchell. Word from her management came back: sure...but for first class airfare, a luxury hotel room, and $15K. So they asked Peter Yarrow. He didn’t even ask, “how much?” He drove here, stayed with friends and played (and did a seminar the next day) for free.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:00 AM

Ah, ok. Now I know. Thanks
Old 01-18-2015, 06:07 AM

I don't have any experience in this. But it would seem to me that the word "benefit" would be a good clue of what to expect. The money raised is expected to go to the cause. And you help because you want to. Plus it could be a good way to get exposure. If people like what they hear they'll remember your name.
One of the things I like best about attending the various street fairs held in downtown Tulsa, is hearing the local amateur talent that often plays. And if I like them and hear they're playing somewhere near again, I'll pay to see them.
One such group that I discovered in this way is Annie Oakley. A couple of local sisters who have put a band together.
http://www.uncoveringoklahoma.com/2013/12/annie-oakley/
Old 01-18-2015, 06:38 AM

I did a show at the Christmas party of the company I worked for. I got paid they agreed upon price and I thought all was good. I found out later that they took the show payment out of my Christmas bonus. I then had to split the show payment with my partner. I actually lost money by doing that show!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:06 AM

I would have a talk with the pipe major .
He is the one that mislead you .
The minimum should be an apology for making you look bad by using his info .
He should have told you who to be in contact with about payment .
He obviously put you in contact with someone because you were there when you needed to be in order to perform .
Old 01-18-2015, 11:48 AM

Always negotiate your fee and define the scope of your services before you do any work. If you can't come to an agreement, move on.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:51 AM

Lesson learned. No good deed goes un-punished.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
...They reached out to Joni Mitchell. Word from her management came back: sure...but for first class airfare, a luxury hotel room, and $15K. So they asked Peter Yarrow. He didn’t even ask, “how much?” He drove here, stayed with friends and played (and did a seminar the next day) for free.
Since age 10, I’ve always very much appreciated Peter, Paul and Mary's music and it was great to read what you wrote about Peter Yarrow. Thanks.

I’d like to think that Joni Mitchell was unaware of the demands her management insisted upon for her to perform at that particular charity event.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic