The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Default buying my first guitar part two=')

Ok so today i went to lets call it center guitar cause idk if im alowed to call it what it is. Ok so when i got therre i played every single guitar there from $100-3000 just for fun =D. I also played all the used and found all them not to be for me and did not like the sound. After playing a couple i found 3that i really liked and kept playing them untill i found the one that i truly love and so i just want to see what u guys think of it. the three that i ended with were the taylor big baby i really liked it but it scared me with the way it was built but even considering that the sound still came in second. Third place was the Yamaha A1MHC it was nice build but i didnt like the sound so much. First place is the Taylor 110E sapele/spruce I really just loved every inch of it to be honest and i cant stop thinking about it haha hope it gets good reviews on here lol.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

The most important - and remarkable I have to say for brand new player - is that you went out and played everything. That would be the common wisdom here, and you've already done that.

Taylor 110 is an awesome first guitar, in fact it's probably one of the best early guitarist choices, particularly because of Taylor playability, which will keep you going through the frustrations of early days, but give you lots of room to grow into. Also, starting with a dread means you will never be intimidated by the size of a guitar :-)

There are of course many other choices, but since right now you need to get the playing time down and get some fundamental basics learned, I think most people would be hard pressed to make a better suggestion given you have played it and many others. Though I am sure you will get a few Martin suggestions among many others. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures at 11 of your first guitar.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
The most important - and remarkable I have to say for brand new player - is that you went out and played everything. That would be the common wisdom here, and you've already done that.

Taylor 110 is an awesome first guitar, in fact it's probably one of the best early guitarist choices, particularly because of Taylor playability, which will keep you going through the frustrations of early days, but give you lots of room to grow into. Also, starting with a dread means you will never be intimidated by the size of a guitar :-)

There are of course many other choices, but since right now you need to get the playing time down and get some fundamental basics learned, I think most people would be hard pressed to make a better suggestion given you have played it and many others. Though I am sure you will get a few Martin suggestions among many others. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures at 11 of your first guitar.
i will for sure do that! Im getting it tomorrow cant wait!
Old 12-12-2014, 08:59 PM

I was sitting and playing my Taylor 150e when I saw this. .
I'm partial to dreads, so the 110 is a wonderful instrument.
I also like the 114e. Probably the only x14 Taylor that I seem to like every example that I play.

Buy the one that trips your trigger, then play the brakes off it.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 12-12-2014, 10:08 PM

A Taylor 110 will hold its own anywhere. We'll done
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 12-12-2014, 10:48 PM

so i am also going to try the 110ec just encase i end up liking it better because the did not have one on the shelves today
Old 12-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Nice choice.

All the Taylors I've played, play nice and easy, so you won't need to have a setup performed on it, to make it play like it should.

Good job playing so many guitars. I would have been intimidated to try out expensive ones, when I was starting out.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 12-13-2014, 03:53 AM
Guest 1511

Pick the 110 over the Big Baby, sounds much much better. Will also still sound good to you as you progress whereas the Big Baby might get a little droll for you after a while, so yeah, get the 110 would be my advice.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys yea I was with my friend who was a more advancedd beginner so he helped as much he could. I love the 110 and will get it today prob, I must say thoug that $3000 taylor sure did sound goo haha maybe some day lol.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-13-2014, 10:04 AM

I'm not a huge fan of the 1 and 2 series from Taylor but if you played everything in your price range and the 110 is what got your motor running then I wouldn't think twice about it and buy it
Old 12-13-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim83 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the 1 and 2 series from Taylor but if you played everything in your price range and the 110 is what got your motor running then I wouldn't think twice about it and buy it
Yea it def got my,motor runnin lol! Only thing that scared me was the laminated back and sides, but im a beginner and I dont need to be going out there and buying a $ 1000 dollar guitar for my first guitar buy.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-13-2014, 02:47 PM

Don't worry for a second about the laminated back and sides. The guitars sound fantastic, and I've seen guys playing them out that are more skilled musicians than I'll ever be in two lifetimes.

Seriously.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 12-13-2014, 06:34 PM

welp i just came back from buying the guitar XD I am sosos stoked to be able to actually start learning new songs again since my other guitar kinda died lol. I ended up getting a wall mount for the guitar and the ms pro capo and a super snark tuner
Old 12-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Guest 728

Sounds like you found a keeper! Taylor makes a great guitar -- if this one spoke to you, you picked the right one! Post a pic!!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Sounds like you found a keeper! Taylor makes a great guitar -- if this one spoke to you, you picked the right one! Post a pic!!
THanks, i will post a pick tomorrow when the sun is out since its to hard to take a pic with a dinosaur of a phone lol. Well its not that old its only 6years old =')

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion