The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM

Default Just a bunch of hacks

All of the bellyaching that goes on here in the forum about how much a guitar costs really comes into focus when watching tonight's 60 minute segment on Cremona, the birthplace of the violin. Watching the young talents that play such beautiful music on these instruments has convinced me that we're all a bunch of hacks playing our fretted instruments.

Now before you get up in arms about "Who are you calling a hack?" and start listing all of the talented guitar players, it is said partially in jest. But crying in your beer about how no guitar should cost over XXX dollars is really comical when looking at the price of a fine instrument like a violin. Not even close.

Watching Anastasiya Petryshak from the Ukraine so effortlessly play a Stradivarius once again shines a spotlight on true talent and dedication to music.

It's a good segment about a timeless instrument.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stradiva...ce-60-minutes/
Old 12-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Watching it now and it looks really fascinating. Streaming video keeps stuttering for me so I may have to come back and finish it later.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-07-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Watching it now and it looks really fascinating. Streaming video keeps stuttering for me so I may have to come back and finish it later.
Same here. Tried to watch it again and am thinking CBS's servers might be buckling under the load at the moment.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 PM

Amazing. She was extremely talented. Played her heart out all the while security officers kept a close watch. I was surprised when she struck the strings with the bow on the Stradivarius.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

Last edited by Gasworker; 12-07-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Auto correct correction
Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick guard View Post
But crying in your beer about how no guitar should cost over XXX dollars is really comical when looking at the price of a fine instrument like a violin. Not even close.
Good guitars are relatively cheap IMO. I see my 2012 D18 as a very good deal and I recently picked up a new Custom Shop HD35 with a 1&3/4 neck, butter beans, pyramid bridge, sitka top and adi bracing for the same street price as a stock HD35. I can't complain about any of that.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Guest4562

Oh, yeah! All you need is a kid or two playing violin to appreciate the economy of even the best guitars. Don't even ask about the cost of violin strings!
Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 PM

Buuuuuut, there have been more than a few blind studies have shown that a Strad doesn't sound different than a well-made, mid-grade modern violin.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Craig View Post
Buuuuuut, there have been more than a few blind studies have shown that a Strad doesn't sound different than a well-made, mid-grade modern violin.
Don't question it for a second. Why I'll bet there is some study, some statistic that "proves" an Olson doesn't sound different than an Esteban. That's what the marketing departments are paid to do, create doubt, i.e. "It's just as good as..."
Old 12-07-2014, 09:54 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/technology/...ones-1.2601191
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 12-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

I just got off the phone with my contacts in China... ramping up for the new violin-styled guitar, called a Strad-o-caster! We're gonna make a fortune!

When they spoke about all the violin shops there, I pictured a bunch of kids playing "Stairway to Heaven"...
Old 12-07-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
When they spoke about all the violin shops there, I pictured a bunch of kids playing "Stairway to Heaven"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM1V...s&spfreload=10
Old 12-07-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick guard View Post
Don't question it for a second. Why I'll bet there is some study, some statistic that "proves" an Olson doesn't sound different than an Esteban. That's what the marketing departments are paid to do, create doubt, i.e. "It's just as good as..."
So, instead, we're supposed to rely on some non-quantifiable, intangible "mojo," or the idea that some things just are better than others?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Pretty, but I was talking about a Saturday afternoon at VIOLIN Center!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:27 PM

After decades of pining after Martin and other what were once considered "high end" guitars and then finally getting them. I was struck by the revelation that I could enjoy playing cheaper guitars nearly if not just as much. The tone & volume is obviously not as good. But a well set up cheapo can sound & play pretty darned good. I won't give up my Martin. But the icing is kind of off the cake for me. If something happened to it, I likely wouldn't spend the $ to replace it. I'd just get a decent cheapo.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Craig View Post
So, instead, we're supposed to rely on some non-quantifiable, intangible "mojo," or the idea that some things just are better than others?
Not sure why you're going down this path, wasn't my initial comment about the 60 Minutes segment.

But to answer your question, I would suggest as in all things, consider the source.

Since I don't play the violin, not sure why I'm being dragged into an argument. Did I enter the wrong door?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic