The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-05-2014, 02:38 PM

Default Identity theft question.

All over the news are stories of hackers gaining customer info from many prominent stores. And warnings that the hackers will be super busy this Christmas season trying to obtain more. Basically as I understand it, we're not safe using credit cards and especially debit cards. Therefore returning us to business on a cash basis.
My question is, are ATM's safe? Pretty much the same operation as far as the user. Or do we need to physically go into the bank and get our cash from a teller?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Nothing is secure in the world of cyber space Any and all SSLayers can and will be compromised. Even my bank told me to watch my account because they aren't immune to the evil hackers.......
Old 12-06-2014, 07:20 AM

Skimmers can be placed on ATM's or other devices. I dont use my credit card in resturants, gas stations, retail store, (other than when I can slide it myself and Ive been there before). Use one card for net orders that can be cancelled quickly if a problem comes up. Watch folks around you in stores when taking your card out, phone photos can capture detail in numbers just fine. Not being paranoid, just very cautious, big difference.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Considering all the problems with credit card and identity theft, it surprises me that so many people will still go to a restaurant and at the end of their meal, let the server walk away with their credit card. I never let my credit card go out of sight....that may not prevent all fraud, but it will prevent some.

I also have a separate "internet/phone" credit card. On the few rare times when I have to purchase something online or over the phone, I use that card which has a low limit and is from a different company than the one I normally use. Again, it won't prevent all theft, but it will minimize it to a certain extent.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 AM

My pay get's direct deposited, so I've began hitting the ATM for cash when we go anywhere. I know about the skimmers and watch for them. But it just seems like the average store ATM is likely as unsafe as using the card at Wal Mart.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:35 AM

I want to believe that a bank's ATM is generally safer than systems in stores. That said, getting your main debit card info stolen is MUCH worse than getting one of your CCs info stolen. I personally prefer to use credit cards for everything because of convenience and rewards. There is always some risk involved.

Kenny Hill Estudio 650

https://soundcloud.com/viable-to-stray
Old 12-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Next year cards in the US will switch to the ones with a chip, and pin verification, like they use in Europe. Merchants who don't upgrade to machines that read chips, and require a pin, will no longer have fraudulent charges covered by the bank after the middle of the year. That will improve security, but the best practice is to check your card and bank accounts online every day, if possible. That's a good thing to do anyway. Merchants sometimes charge things twice, or people get signed up for recurring newsletters or services, and aren't aware of the monthly charges. That happened to my mother in law. Her daughter checked the statement, and she had over $280 worth of recurring charges for the past three months that she wasn't aware of. She was able to get credits for all of them, and cancel the services. It's a big problem for the elderly, who get called by marketers or get mail solicitations, and don't realize there will be ongoing charges, if they don't cancel in time.

A few years ago, my mother (in her 80's), went to buy a new Honda. One of my sisters was with her through the whole negotiation, to make sure the price was fair, and there were no added services. Well when they called her in to sign the final documents (alone), the guy up-sold her for all the undercoating, tire, dent, and finish warranties. When her payment was higher, my sister discovered why. The dealership refused to take them off, and all of the warranties proved worthless, because of fine print exceptions. Needless to say that was the last business they got from her, and people in the community were made aware of the deceptive practices. How a dealer justifies that is beyond me, and they lost far more in future business. With our aging (count me in that group) baby boomer population, I expect this to only grow worse.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 12-06-2014, 05:33 PM

I only pay with goats, barley, or chickens. Seems to have worked so far.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:19 PM

You can set up most of your accounts online to notify you of transactions or to prohibit transactions without your approval. My cards notify me whenever there is an online charge; transactions from offshore are not allowed.

Best,

Rick
Old 12-06-2014, 07:21 PM

How far away are we from the implanted chip IN US? I recall years ago when they started putting them in dogs and said to myself: "Self, you best get ready to be sporting one of these some day." See? I'm a prophet!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic