The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 02:38 PM

Default Which would you choose? Pawn shop find or new

So, I found a 1991 HD35 in a pawn shop recently. I played it a while and was blown away. Huge, full sound that amazed me. No buzzing frets and the action was great.

BUT, it is a little banged up. There a chunk out of the headstock about 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch. It looks like it got hit pretty hard by something sharp. The white binding is coming off around the outside of the top (two sections about 6-8 inches long each). There are numerous small scratches and dings, but it looks good from about 6 feet away.

I've been thinking about this guitar for a few weeks and trying to figure out a way that I can get it (funds are currently drawn in other directions). I listed my current Martin for sale in hopes of getting close to the amount I need for the HD35.

I've long dreamt of having a Martin dread and have really had my eye on a D18 for years. Well, today a family member offered to front me the money to just go ahead and get a brand new D18 which I have always wanted.

So, HD35 that floored me with it's big full bassy sound, but is a bit beat up (I'm a little worried about where the guitar has been in it's life to have bindings coming off)... Or brand new 2014 D18 from a vendor I know and trust?

Can you tell I'm leaning toward the D18? I'm just not sure if the D18 will leave me wishing I had gone with something with more full, bassy sound in the long run... what do you all think?
Old 11-13-2014, 02:40 PM

oh, yeah... I play all kinds of different styles from worship music at church every week to flatpicking bluegrass to fingerpicking to jazz/blues...

and I currently and will in the future only have this one guitar.

Sorry for the terribly long post above
Old 11-13-2014, 02:59 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans5 View Post
So, I found a 1991 HD35 in a pawn shop recently. I played it a while and was blown away. Huge, full sound that amazed me. No buzzing frets and the action was great.

BUT, it is a little banged up. There a chunk out of the headstock about 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch. It looks like it got hit pretty hard by something sharp. The white binding is coming off around the outside of the top (two sections about 6-8 inches long each). There are numerous small scratches and dings, but it looks good from about 6 feet away.

I've been thinking about this guitar for a few weeks and trying to figure out a way that I can get it (funds are currently drawn in other directions). I listed my current Martin for sale in hopes of getting close to the amount I need for the HD35.

I've long dreamt of having a Martin dread and have really had my eye on a D18 for years. Well, today a family member offered to front me the money to just go ahead and get a brand new D18 which I have always wanted.

So, HD35 that floored me with it's big full bassy sound, but is a bit beat up (I'm a little worried about where the guitar has been in it's life to have bindings coming off)... Or brand new 2014 D18 from a vendor I know and trust?

Can you tell I'm leaning toward the D18? I'm just not sure if the D18 will leave me wishing I had gone with something with more full, bassy sound in the long run... what do you all think?
Brand new D-18 or a thrashed D-35? Umm defintely the D-18. You get the lifetime warranty and the new style D-18 I played the other day was really awesome. I think the choice is pretty obvious.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:01 PM

I'd get the beat up old HD 35, but that's me, a beat up old guy...
Lot's of superficial dings and scars, but everything still in pretty good working order.

ps. Bindings are easy glued back.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

if you like the used guitar's sound and feel, and if its a great buy, no doubt, go with the used.

You can always buy a new guitar anytime!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-13-2014, 03:02 PM

Well you've played the d35. You know you love the sound The binding could be fixed, I like guitars with patina. But you should try and go play a d18 If possible.

If your not botherd by a little play wear though and you like it better than the d18. Pick it up. I would never choose one guitar over the other just because it's in better cosmetic condition
Old 11-13-2014, 03:24 PM

I vote for new. The chunk out of the headstock bothers me: that hard of a knock could very well have caused other issues that you can't see. It's not really that old, certainly not vintage - your new D-18 will open up with lots of play and sound as good or better in just a few years (am I showing my mahogany prejudice here?), and it will be under warranty. New.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:29 PM

if you and the guitar are having a love affair get it...I bought a 400 dollar cort bass 2 years ago because we love each other it is my favorite bass even over my custom 2000 dollar bass. when there is a connection with a instrument that is the one for you.
just make sure that neck is true....
Old 11-13-2014, 03:44 PM

I assume the d35 is much less money? If so, I'd go for the d35 and call it a beater .
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 11-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Hi Romans5,

I'm absolutely no help, and I confess it. But here is my .02. I would buy the guitar I've played, the one that I keep thinking about. The 35 has its own sound (and folks either like it, love it, or . . . . ). It is more lightly braced than the 28. My buddy has one that I think works well either finger picked or played with a pick. The first Martin I ever played was a friend's D35 (around 1968).

Most of my guitars were bought used and all have varying degrees of dings and scrapes. Binding can be reglued.

There are advantages of buying the new D 18. It was revisioned last year--the bracing was changed to be more akin of the bracing in Martin's earlier era, and the nut width was shifted to 1 3/4 like the prewar specs. The visuals returned to faux tortoise binding and guard for a cool, retro look. It will have that lifetime guarantee against faults of workmanship or materials. (No, that doesn't cover wear and tear or humidity related cracks--but in most cases it does cover neck resets.)

Me, I like mahogany sides and back. But you might prefer the 35. Sounds like you really liked the one you played.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-13-2014, 03:48 PM

I'd go with the new D-18. Mine has served me well for 40 years. That HD-35 sounds like a Frankenstein type guitar....I'd stay away from that head stock issue. Like it's been mentioned, it's not a vintage guitar anymore, just queen of the pawn shop.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-13-2014, 03:51 PM

YOu don't say what the pawn shop wants for that HD-35. For me the choice would be easy ... I'd take the D-18 any day. I find the HD-35 to have a bass heavy tone, almost muddy to my ears. But there are many who love 'em!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:53 PM

Personally, I'd go for the HD35 if you can live with the headstock issues. But that's just me.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans5 View Post
Buy it. Quick.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:57 PM

I think you have to play them both and then decide. I've played many a beater that has far outplayed a brand new2, more expensive instrument. The loose binding is no big deal, any skilled luthier can fix that and in a pawn shop? I'd point out all the flaws and see if you can work down the price.

I always wanted a Martin and never found one I liked until I met a guy with a beat up laminate Martin that played and sounded better than nearly anything I'd ever touched. Problem was, he wouldn't give it up for that very reason!

And personally, that brand new D18? Don't buy it unless you can play it first. Two guitars from the same tree, consecutively numbered can be different as night and day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion