The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 AM

Default Bridge Pins?

Hi guys, relatively new to this forum and I've come across a few mentions of bridge pins recently that I never really thought about affecting the sound of my guitar before. Anybody know what different pins you can get and what they do to your tone?
Thanks.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:54 AM

Have you done a search, this has been covered in detail on many many threads, why not start there?

And yes, welcome to the forum....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-13-2014, 11:59 AM

Here you go:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=352005

Lots of good info in that thread from many participants.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:38 PM

That's great, thanks. Still trying to figure this out through a third party app on my mobile!
Old 12-25-2014, 03:15 PM

Default Bridge Pins

Uh oh........ Here we go again.

Just contact Bob Colosi and be done with it
Old 12-25-2014, 03:20 PM

Unless you are having trouble with the ones that came with your guitar, I wouldn't worry about it.

To me it is kind of like worrying about if you should upgrade the gas cap on your car.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 12-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Colsi is the man and can help guide you in making proper choices for pins, saddles etc to help shape the tone of your guitar. I recently redid two of my acoustics with saddles and pins from Bob. Does it make a difference? I think it does but each guitar will react in a different way so there is no constant in this but there are general conclusions to come to. Cheap way to make changes and easy to reverse if they don't suit you. Lots of opinions in this area but talk to Bob and he can help.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:24 PM

Hello Sabretoothfly,
Check out Bob Colosi's website. He explains most of what you need to know and he is great to work with, order from or talk to if you have questions. I get all my excessories from Bob.
http://www.guitarsaddles.com

......Mike
Old 12-25-2014, 03:33 PM

I've experimented with different woods, bone, even titanium. Tone difference is negligible to my ears (which are pretty good). You will get a pronounced difference in tone however with different picks, depending on material, thickness and point.

Last edited by Mike McLenison; 12-26-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:39 PM

Some may try to tell you that bridge pins can't make a tonal difference. For this to be true, Newton's laws of motion would have to be incorrect. The better question is whether they make an audible difference. It seems some can hear it can some can't. Even for those of us who can hear it, it isn't a large difference.

If your are planning on changing the bridge pins, my advice is buy the bridge pins that are the most pleasing to you aesthetically. If you are among those that can't hear the difference, then you'll already have what you'll be happiest with.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
Unless you are having trouble with the ones that came with your guitar, I wouldn't worry about it.

To me it is kind of like worrying about if you should upgrade the gas cap on your car.
I'm in this camp also. Much ado over nothing.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Guest 1511

They tend to make a minor difference. If you make a few changes that each have a minor effect, you end up with more than just a minor effect. Changing saddle, nut and pins should make enough difference for you to hear it. Colosi makes the best bridge pins: they fit really well, look great and he ships fast.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:57 PM

Contrary to the folks that guess, make theories, bash, without actually TRYING them, I put them on my Signature SD28 and noticed an immediate an profound improvement. I'm not one of those that notices slight differences in stuff like brass, ebony, Tusq, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Fiend v1.2.14.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:43 PM

Default You didnt tell him that they are Power Pins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Contrary to the folks that guess, make theories, bash, without actually TRYING them, I put them on my Signature SD28 and noticed an immediate an profound improvement. I'm not one of those that notices slight differences in stuff like brass, ebony, Tusq, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Fiend v1.2.14.
Just to clarify your comment for him, they are called Power Pins, www.f1pick.com ,that have caused no end of controversy here. The guys with negative views, HAVE NOT TRIED THEM, we have only positive comments from actual users, not just in this forum but everywhere else that there are reviews, they are always good. Wish some of these self styled experts here would try a set with a full money back guarantee, and then talk about this in an educated hands and ears on manner, rather, than something they read in a book , or a posting, or something somebody else said, or they dreamed up. If they did that they might have a different opinion, or keep the same as they have, but at least they wouldnt be parroting some body elses opinion or theory. I have almost given up on this forum, but we have been getting a number of members to try them with good results, there are a number of AGF members, who have refused to post good results , because they think that they will be ridiculed, and i dont blame them. Incidentally, Bob Colosi, likes them, and you can ask him.

Last edited by ac2300; 12-25-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
What is the "them" that you tried and liked so adamantly?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion