The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-09-2014, 06:11 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state
Default K&K pure mini

I want to get one and install it myself if I can. My questions are, will it fit the existing hole, does it accept 1/4" plug? I can get it installed for $35, should I just let him do it. They don't carry the k&K but a couple other brands but he said no problem.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
I want to get one and install it myself if I can. My questions are, will it fit the existing hole, does it accept 1/4" plug? I can get it installed for $35, should I just let him do it. They don't carry the k&K but a couple other brands but he said no problem.
Most pickups for acoustic guitars are the same size, so you shouldn't have a problem if the hole exists with a pickup jack already. What size hole is in the guitar now? Redrilling, or drilling anew, really isn't too much of a problem. I used to be nervous about it, but now it takes me only a minute or two, most of the time being in getting my bit from my drawer and my drill from my shelf. The drilling itself... hmmm... 20-30 seconds....??

$35 is a good price for the pickup install. If the fellow is trustworthy and you are at all nervous about doing it yourself, it is likely a fine idea to get it installed.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 PM

The most challenging part of the install is drilling the jack hole in the tail block and with the right bit is not a problem at all. I charge $30 for a K&K install so I think $35 is very reasonable. The pic is the bit I use.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:27 AM

The hardest part of K&K mini install is gluing the transducer heads to the bridge plate in the correct positions. $35 is about right for an install on one of these.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair