The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2014, 08:22 AM

Default Getting that "itchy" feeling" (GAS)

There are some days, maybe weeks, where I spend more time searching this forum, Ebay, Craigslist and Google, for that next great guitar, than practicing. Sure I feel guilty, but I still can't stop.
Worst part is when I find that perfect model and keep denying it. I go to cheaper, more practical alternatives, but I keep going back to that one match made in heaven.
I start muttering to myself about how I simply can't afford it, I can't justify it, I'm not worthy, I can't tell my wife (that's when I'm lost).
Wouldn't have it any other way.

David
Old 10-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshapiro View Post
There are some days, maybe weeks, where I spend more time searching this forum, Ebay, Craigslist and Google, for that next great guitar, than practicing. Sure I feel guilty, but I still can't stop.
Worst part is when I find that perfect model and keep denying it. I go to cheaper, more practical alternatives, but I keep going back to that one match made in heaven.
I start muttering to myself about how I simply can't afford it, I can't justify it, I'm not worthy, I can't tell my wife (that's when I'm lost).
Wouldn't have it any other way.

David
A good temporary cure for GAS is changing the strings or upgrading a saddle or nut (or both), but it is only temporary. Learning a new song or two helps also though

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-05-2014, 08:29 AM

I think setting playing goals is a good way to try to regulate GAS. If you have the means for another guitar but feel guilty buying one, make a list of 10 or 20 songs that you have to learn before you can get it. Make sure to pick at least half of the tunes that are challenging and push your playing.

"Earning" a new guitar makes it worth it to me.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:37 AM

Not far away now, a UPS truck is being loaded for Monday delivery.

A New Guitar Day this way comes.

Greg Rappleye
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 AM

My sights are set on a Gibson Hummingbird, unsed or new, with great sounds and playability. First thing I need to do is to pony up a few grand so I have a war chest to bargain with or if a perfect one appears, strike while the iron is hot.

Right now I have four quite nice guitars, a pretty good one and a few strong OK ones. Plus a couple rescue projects not in my sig. If I get much of an urge I switch to another. Always some thing different to very different in the other room waiting on me. Kind of like a harem! Or sister wives.

Anyway, I know the 'bird with always be there, even if they might go up in price. I don't see a terrible lot of used ones, some, but not like J45 s or AJs.

To me it is the quintessential rock and roll acoustic guitar. That's my opinion, I don't care about anyone else's opinion on the subject, so rebuttal is useless.

I play other guitars in the stores almost every week. I enjoy them, but I don't yearn for them anymore knowing what I have at home. I did recently play a Martin DM that was swell sounding and priced right, but it made no sense to acquire it. Also played a D-42 (?) that gave me the the shivers, but that was priced in the stratosphere, at lest for me.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 10-05-2014, 04:00 PM

I feel ya brother, when I run out of money, I look to trade deals. Perhaps we can...?
Old 10-05-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
My sights are set on a Gibson Hummingbird, unsed or new, with great sounds and playability. First thing I need to do is to pony up a few grand so I have a war chest to bargain with or if a perfect one appears, strike while the iron is hot.

Right now I have four quite nice guitars, a pretty good one and a few strong OK ones. Plus a couple rescue projects not in my sig. If I get much of an urge I switch to another. Always some thing different to very different in the other room waiting on me. Kind of like a harem! Or sister wives.

Anyway, I know the 'bird with always be there, even if they might go up in price. I don't see a terrible lot of used ones, some, but not like J45 s or AJs.

To me it is the quintessential rock and roll acoustic guitar. That's my opinion, I don't care about anyone else's opinion on the subject, so rebuttal is useless.

I play other guitars in the stores almost every week. I enjoy them, but I don't yearn for them anymore knowing what I have at home. I did recently play a Martin DM that was swell sounding and priced right, but it made no sense to acquire it. Also played a D-42 (?) that gave me the the shivers, but that was priced in the stratosphere, at lest for me.
A rock and roll guitar, I can see that and I like it, very cool.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
As I am sure you and many others know, John Hiatt once referred to the HB as the ultimate rock & roll acoustic. So I doubt you will get a whole lot of argument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion