The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-08-2003, 11:51 PM

Default Does anyone own a Gibson ES-135

I noticed on Musician's Friend site that the "blowing-out" Gibson ES-135 2002 models...it seems as though they have taken a substantial price decrease, from 1650 to only 899. I was wondering if anyone owned this model, I'm looking at getting the wine red finish or the ebony. I just wanted to hear some pros and cons of the guitar...seems like a good deal for a great guitar...this is the model with florentine cutaway and F-holes...
Old 12-08-2003, 11:54 PM

Might try to swing by a Guitar Center and give one a test drive to see what you think close up. I saw the same article and stopped by Guitar Center this evening....not really my type of guitar but definitely a nice piece for a seemingly nice price.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 12-09-2003, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Does anyone own a Gibson ES-135

Quote:
Originally posted by T714
I noticed on Musician's Friend site that the "blowing-out" Gibson ES-135 2002 models...it seems as though they have taken a substantial price decrease, from 1650 to only 899. I was wondering if anyone owned this model, I'm looking at getting the wine red finish or the ebony. I just wanted to hear some pros and cons of the guitar...seems like a good deal for a great guitar...this is the model with florentine cutaway and F-holes...
Check the pickup selector switch carefully. These were notorious for being bad on the ES-135, especially, for some reason, on the Blue Bursts.

The ES-135 that they're selling has been discontinued. Gibson is going to reintroduce with no F-holes, and with a stop-tailpiece instead of the trapeze tailpiece.

All in all, not a bad buy...

Steve
Old 12-09-2003, 11:43 AM

I have owned a couple of ES-135s. Very nice guitars for the money. Note, though, that they haven't taken THAT much of a price reduction. The street price on these has always been under $900. I think I bought my last one (while they were still current) for $836.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM

Wow, prices for an es-135 were pretty good back in 03. Now you can snag one for about $1200 - $1500. I definitely like the way these guitars sound. Check out the tone this kid is getting with a 135 in the video at the bottom of the page below:

Gibson ES 135 - Archtop Electric.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars