The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-29-2014, 08:43 PM

Default external mic recommendations for guitar

If you're using an external mic for your guitar I'd appreciate any input you could offer. I've been looking mostly at audix so far. Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 09:49 PM

If I can get away with an external mic I use the AKG C535EB or the Shure Beta 57A.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:42 AM

I use two different ones depending on the gig:

For single instrument gigs I use a AT Pro 70 clip-on condenser (in addition to the SBT via my preamp chain). I have used a "cough switch" on this clip-on mic to switch it to a second or third instrument but it was a PITA so...for multi-instrument gigs (sometimes as many as three) I use a stand-mounted Rode M3 condenser (again, as a second source).

I'm really happy with the sound of either of these as a way to augment the pickups.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:10 AM

Cardioid condenser mics sound great. I use an Audio Technica AT813, no longer available but they make similar now.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 08-30-2014, 07:27 AM

If you (or someone else viewing this thread) is on a bit of a budget, I'd recommend a MCA SP1 condenser as a good option. For around $50 you can get some excellent recording quality from it.
Voyage-Air Transit Series VAOM-02
Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline
Custom Built Reliced Strat
Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
If you (or someone else viewing this thread) is on a bit of a budget, I'd recommend a MCA SP1 condenser as a good option. For around $50 you can get some excellent recording quality from it.
This is a good point for me to better explain my situation.
I'm playing a guitar that I just can't install onboard electronics in. I'm playing smallish gigs solo or in a duo setting and will be using the fishman performer or artist.
My primary objective is to have as good a sound as I can using the amp - I want to project as much of my guitar's sound quality as I can get from the amp and a mic that might match well with it. I'm not very educated in this area but it seems to me that there's probably a level of quality microphone that corresponds with the quality of amp. In other words, while the audix scx25a might be a great mic for my guitar, does it capture a level of sound that's beyond the amp's capabilities? Does that make sense?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:15 AM

I should add that last Saturday my trio, Papilio, did a house concert with our small PA (Mackie CFX12 and 2 SRM350v2 used as "reverse monitors", that is on the floor but tilted up and out instead of towards us) and I used the Rode M3 by itself (ie. no pedalboard/preamp) with my usual three instruments (Lowden O10, Crosby fanfret baritone and Crosby bouzar) and it sounded fantastic. Jennifer (flute) always uses a Sennheiser condenser (can't recall which off the top of my head but it's one of their vocal mics) and Anthony (violin) has recently switched to a DPA 4099v and used my Sennheiser e835 condenser (which he tried to pack in his stuff at the end of the night!) for vocals.

Best sound we've had in a l-o-n-g time...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 AM

That is what I use the AT813 for, live performances. Works great and definitely captures the sound of my guitar.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 08-30-2014, 09:46 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkroot View Post
. In other words, while the audix scx25a might be a great mic for my guitar, does it capture a level of sound that's beyond the amp's capabilities? Does that make sense?
The answer is very likely, yes....

I'd tell you to stick with the ADX51 - great mic for the money.

Does your amp have phantom power?

Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 AM

I often blend my pickup it it with an AKG C1000 - not en expensive of great mic but built like a tank - it is enough to add a natural airy sound to the mix, and it doesn't cost a fortune,
Old 08-31-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
This is a good point for me to better explain my situation.
I'm playing a guitar that I just can't install onboard electronics in. I'm playing smallish gigs solo or in a duo setting and will be using the fishman performer or artist.
My primary objective is to have as good a sound as I can using the amp - I want to project as much of my guitar's sound quality as I can get from the amp and a mic that might match well with it. I'm not very educated in this area but it seems to me that there's probably a level of quality microphone that corresponds with the quality of amp. In other words, while the audix scx25a might be a great mic for my guitar, does it capture a level of sound that's beyond the amp's capabilities? Does that make sense?
Your amp may not be up to a mic like that. I'm guessing that those amps are optimized for a SM-58 or the occasional mid grade condenser. Make sure that you get a mic that can operate with the amps phantom power which may not be 48V, or get an amp that can handle the mic you choose. For a live performance you probably don't need to go with a studio grade mic, lots of pros are happy with the SM-57.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
The answer is very likely, yes....

I'd tell you to stick with the ADX51 - great mic for the money.

Does your amp have phantom power?
It does have phantom power.
Do I understand correctly that the vx51 might tame my lows, which can be difficult on mics?
My guitar is a classic bluegrass dreadnaught that, as I've learned, can produce some strange low sounds when miked.
Also, I can't find info on self noise on this mic.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
Your amp may not be up to a mic like that. I'm guessing that those amps are optimized for a SM-58 or the occasional mid grade condenser. Make sure that you get a mic that can operate with the amps phantom power which may not be 48V, or get an amp that can handle the mic you choose. For a live performance you probably don't need to go with a studio grade mic, lots of pros are happy with the SM-57.
This is sort of the crux of my question. Being new to the world of guitar amplification I'm hoping to find the right combination of mic - amp relationship. I'll be using the loudbox performer and deep and resonant martin dreadnaught and hope to find that mic that will work well in capturing my guitar's voice and sending it to the amp.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It does have phantom power.
Do I understand correctly that the vx51 might tame my lows, which can be difficult on mics?
My guitar is a classic bluegrass dreadnaught that, as I've learned, can produce some strange low sounds when miked.
Also, I can't find info on self noise on this mic.
"Strange low end sounds" can you be more specific, strange how?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"Strange low end sounds" can you be more specific, strange how?
I've read a bit on miking big bassey dreadnaughts and how the low end can be difficult to amplify well or controll. Being new to amplifying my guitar I have little to no experience with any of this and want to make a decision on the mic that will work well with my guitar and amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification