The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 AM

Default Roland Cube Vs Marshall

I just had my first electric guitar ^^ so i need one amp .
My local shop has this two very interesting amp
1 . Roland CUBE-80GX 1x12" 80-Watt COSM Combo with FX
2 . Marshall DSL40C 1x12" 40-Watt 2-Channel Tube Combo
Because am from Asia ( Viet Nam ) so i can't have many good choices .... poor me > < . Which one y feel better ?? am noob so i can't test annything on that two amp ......... help pls ^^ ?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM

Very, very different amps. What style(s) do you play? What guitar(s) will you play through it?

The big, basic difference there is a digital (solid state) amp vs a tube amp. The DSL40C is a LOUD tube amp - where will you be using it? For band rehearsals and gigging or for home use? 40 tube watts is simply too much power to get a good tone at bedroom volume levels, but it would sound great at band/gig levels. The Marshall is also (IMHO) much more of a rock amp - the cleans are solid but not spectacular, there's lots of gain available, and it's quite straightforward to use.

The digital amp is much more complicated (and therefore potentially more versatile) and much friendlier to use at bedroom levels if that it how you will be practicing. So, between the two, I would presume the digital amp to be more useful. The Marshall is simply overkill unless you want to play LOUD rock music.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:54 AM

Hi Ghost - did you say you're from Vietnam? The new Marshall DSL series is made there. Any potential cost savings?
Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 AM

Yes am in Viet Nam in the Ho Chi Minh city ^^ i have no ideal that that the DSL marshall is made here LOL ..... poor me @@ . My saving will be about 600-700$ . I wanna play some jazz and pop music for my anime song am an otaku so Anime rock ( but i like to hear it loud so big amp fine with me ) =)) . Don't have anny band but will find one
Old 08-14-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnanasaki View Post
Yes am in Viet Nam in the Ho Chi Minh city ^^ i have no ideal that that the DSL marshall is made here LOL ..... poor me @@ . My saving will be about 600-700$ . I wanna play some jazz and pop music for my anime song am an otaku so Anime rock ( but i like to hear it loud so big amp fine with me ) =)) . Don't have anny band but will find one
The original JCM2000 DSLs were made in the UK but the new DSL series are made in Vietnam.

I can't comment on the Roland since I'm not familiar with them. The Marshall is a great rock/hard rock and even metal amp. I'm not sure how it is with jazz though.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The original JCM2000 DSLs were made in the UK but the new DSL series are made in Vietnam.

I can't comment on the Roland since I'm not familiar with them. The Marshall is a great rock/hard rock and even metal amp. I'm not sure how it is with jazz though.
Hum am noob so can i do this ? Buy the Marshall amp then buy some Pedal for jazz and pop sound ^^ or i will get used to the rock sound and like it after buy the Marshall

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars