The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2014, 05:56 AM

Default Replacement pickguard recommendations?

I was toying with the thought of replacing the plain black pickguard on my 2001 D-35.

First question:
Is it blasphemy? Is it something that can harm my guitar (if done by a repair shop)

Second question:
Could you please suggest some online stores where I could get some nice ones from?

Thank you in advance!
Greg

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 07-03-2014, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

I like Tor-tis pickguards. Here is a source:

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-...tis-pickguards
Old 07-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

In my opinion, no it is most certainly NOT sacrilege - the plain black blobs that Martin out on their standard series are just plain nasty.

As long as the current guard is not under the finish as was done in the '70s then they can be removed using "naptha" or lighter fuel, plenty of clean cloths and kitchen roll paper and a cake icing spatula if you have one - beware of using any tools with sharp edges that may damage, scratch or gouge the top -- oh, and you wife's hair dryer. .

Before you remove the old black one - note carefully how it surrounds the rosette and where the point is located and it might be useful to mark in water soluble pen on the top to show where the line of the curve goes.

If you have one - photograph it on your i-phone - or other digital recording device.

I've done this twice now.

As the heat softens the old guard and its glue gently peel it back until it is free of the top - it will probably be a nasty mess - best binned.

You will not believe the sticky gunge that the softened glue and naptha produces.

Use as much naptha as possible to gently wipe off all traces and work until the top is completely clean. Use as much clean cloth and kitchen towel as necessary.

If the top has "bikini suntan lines then you will need to be extremely careful when attaching the new one, as it is not removable or adjustable. do as many trial positioning (before removing the protective sheet) to mark out where the point and curves and radius around the rosette goes.

I strongly recommend the Greven Tor-Tis guards and have used them both successfully twice. I would counsel that you do not buy a plain sheet and cut it out yourself - it will not look as good.

The Greven Tortis guards have a self adhesive backing and that it all that is needed - careful positioning is vital as you cannot adjust the position.

The finished process will be very rewarding and smartens up your Martin considerably.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:02 AM

+1 on the Greven Tortis guards, the most tasteful pick guards without question.

You can get them already cut / beveled / adhered from Luthier's Mercatile and Terrapin Island has the material (and maybe precut guards) with templates you can print, cut out and see what the shape looks like on your guitar.

They also have nice reproductions for certain time periods like the 30's and the 50's (at least for Martins).
Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 AM

Replaced my D35 guard with a Gerven tortis 50 style
Old 07-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I would just caution that it would be wise to not just place an online order without first calling to make sure whomever you order from can actually get a grevin tor-tis pickguard.(Like I did) I just got a call two days ago by a rep from First quality Music, which is an online dealer who advertised them and accepted my order for same. After a month wait of not hearing from them , I called only to be told that Grevins' customer service was slow to non existent . My order was cancelled and money returned. And that dealer will no longer sell Grevin.
Just my 2 cents
JP
Old 07-03-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFish View Post
Ditto Vintage '50's (except on my HD-35):

I also have three handmade celluloid guards by Zack Deming that are similar in thickness and bevel as the Grevens, but a totally different design. He posts in the Buy and Sell forum every so often on the UMGF, but you can contact him to discuss. He'll also make custom fits. His offerings from the spring: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...1#.U7XRsrGmWGs

Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
I was toying with the thought of replacing the plain black pickguard on my 2001 D-35.

First question:
Is it blasphemy? Is it something that can harm my guitar (if done by a repair shop)
It's an extremely common modification and won't hurt the resale value of your guitar so long as it's done carefully, whether by a guitar tech or by you yourself. I've swapped out many pickguards over the years.

As for vendors, one nice thing about Luthier's Mercantile is that their website shows you only those exact, individual Tor-Tis pickguards that they currently have in stock:

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-...tis-pickguards

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-...s/tor-tis-d-28

This is actually a very canny move on LMI's part, because these pickguards can vary a great deal from one another, even when they're supposedly the same color and pattern. I'm sure having each photo on the website entails a bit of extra work for them, but I'm equally certain that it cuts down immensely on returns and on unhappy phone calls from customers complaining that the pickguard they got didn't look like the one in the photo.

Okay, you've received a lot of recommendations for Tor-Tis pickguards, which are undeniably very nice. But they're also fairly expensive when compared to this next option, which is the tortoiseshell plastic pickguard from Stewart-MacDonald:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...Pickguard.html

These are also good quality and quite attractive when placed on a guitar. I've got a couple of them on instruments. What's more, one will cost you less than nine dollars.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

The Guitar Gallery (Nashville) has nice Greven pick guards. They usually carry the traditional shapes. I believe they will also cut one to your specs.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Yep greven tor tis for sure.

I'll post a picture of the 30s vintage gaurd I put on my d28 soon
Old 07-03-2014, 06:41 PM

This is the best picture I have right now, while it looks good in photos, the real beauty is when you see them in person. They look much closer to what would be on a vintage martin
Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilFish View Post
Ditto Vintage '50's (except on my HD-35):

I also have three handmade celluloid guards by Zack Deming that are similar in thickness and bevel as the Grevens, but a totally different design. He posts in the Buy and Sell forum every so often on the UMGF, but you can contact him to discuss. He'll also make custom fits. His offerings from the spring: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...1#.U7XRsrGmWGs

I second Zack's (Borderbull) pickguards. Zack Deming made one for my M-38 and I couldn't be happier.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)

Last edited by woodstock64; 08-05-2014 at 03:50 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 AM

Folks,

I made my mind up, and want to go for a new pickguard, but they're just not available anywhere. I hear Grevens have been discontinued? I'm looking for either a 50's or a dark D28 guard.

I tried to contact that person on the unofficial Martin forums who offers handmade faux-tortoise pickguards, but I got no reply whatsoever. Does anyone know him? Is he still in business?

Could anyone point me in the direction of a place where I could purchase Grevens (shipping to EU) at a reasonable price?

Many thanks,
Greg

http://facebook.com/greggalemusic
Old 08-04-2014, 07:16 AM

This weekend I acquired a used Seagull entourage rustic guitar. The original pickguard was starting to get wavey at the edges so I removed it. A new one will be chosen from Stew-Mac. Good luck with yours.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflected View Post
Folks,

I made my mind up, and want to go for a new pickguard, but they're just not available anywhere. I hear Grevens have been discontinued? I'm looking for either a 50's or a dark D28 guard.

I tried to contact that person on the unofficial Martin forums who offers handmade faux-tortoise pickguards, but I got no reply whatsoever. Does anyone know him? Is he still in business?

Could anyone point me in the direction of a place where I could purchase Grevens (shipping to EU) at a reasonable price?

Many thanks,
Greg
The Grevens are now made by a successor company and sold through LMII. I got one a couple of weeks ago. It's awesome.

See here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...0&postcount=10

From the LMII site (http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-...ard-material):

Quote:
LMI is proud to offer the outstanding Tor-tis™ line of pickguards. Developed by luthier John Greven, these pickguards accurately recreate the beautiful, old tortoise pickguards of yore.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion