The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Default Another small sign that brick 'n mortar is on the way out

Those among us who are into nylon string guitars may have heard about Cordoba's new offering - the C10 Crossover. This is now for sale at Musician's Friend, so I thought I'd give my local GC a buzz to see if they had it. Seemed like a fair bet considering that MF and GC are one. Turned out they did not have it, and nor did the much bigger Hallandale Beach GC. What's more. neither center has any intention of getting one, "but they can ship one over for me specially from the warehouse, providing I buy it."

What's going on? The guy I spoke to seemed to fully sympathize that I would want to try one before buying. However, that's not an option. It looks like a quantity of gear is now being sectioned off for exclusive internet trade. In this case, those of us who are interested in this guitar either have to take a gamble or forget it. I wonder how many more instruments get the same treatment ...
Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM

If you buy one from MF and don't like it, you can send it right back, no cost, no questions. They're overly fair when it comes to returns. Good luck w/ your new Crossover.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:32 PM

MF and GC are not "one". They used to be controlled by the same holding company, but I don't believe they are anymore.

I also don't think it's a sign of anything that they aren't carrying a particular model of a guitar. If they had to carry at least one of every model of every manufacturer they carry, their stockrooms would be full to the gills. Yes, you do have to pay for the guitar if you want them to order it for you, but they do have a 30 day return policy. You could even have them ship it to the store. When it comes in, you go and check it out. If you don't want it, you should get your money back right away.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:43 PM

Yes, I do recognize it's a first world problem!

Having said that, the Cordoba C10 doesn't sound like just any other guitar. It's an all-solid wood crossover in spruce and rosewood, ebony board, truss rod, 12 frets (no huge 14-fret neck), and at I cent short of a grand, it sounds a bit like the guitar we all wanted to buy when Taylor began tormenting us with its flawed nylon-string series. So, it would be nice to have a quick pluck first and see if it's as good as its specs!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Have you ever looked at the Lucida 666 concerto ?
not a hybrid but i think youd be surprised at the quality and its sound !
Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Those among us who are into nylon string guitars may have heard about Cordoba's new offering - the C10 Crossover. This is now for sale at Musician's Friend, so I thought I'd give my local GC a buzz to see if they had it. Seemed like a fair bet considering that MF and GC are one. Turned out they did not have it, and nor did the much bigger Hallandale Beach GC. What's more. neither center has any intention of getting one, "but they can ship one over for me specially from the warehouse, providing I buy it."

What's going on? The guy I spoke to seemed to fully sympathize that I would want to try one before buying. However, that's not an option. It looks like a quantity of gear is now being sectioned off for exclusive internet trade. In this case, those of us who are interested in this guitar either have to take a gamble or forget it. I wonder how many more instruments get the same treatment ...

Lots of them! You can order it , with a return. But you usually pay the return shipping!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rz1 View Post
MF and GC are not "one". They used to be controlled by the same holding company, but I don't believe they are anymore.
Guitar Center bought Musician's Friend in 2000. Ares Management has a controlling stake in the company while Bain Capital still has partial ownership.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion