The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 PM

Default last couple of fretts dropping down a tad

Okay,I even did a forum search so I wouldn't have to look like an idiot but I don't care, Im curious. An occasional guitar and some mid rangers I have let the last part of the fret board dive down slightly. It appears to be part of the design, what say you about this
Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 PM

I noticed this on my Martin SWDGT, too. At first, I thought it was a lasting effect from when the guitar dried out a bit and the top sunk. I took it to the shop and the tech said I shouldn't worry about it and it's fairly common.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 PM

Default g

Okay, in hind sight of posting this I know mathematically the fret board should be flat as most are(a little relief I know) but I swear Ive run across this numerous times, who uses those last 3 frets anyway, and do you expect to get a clear good tone up there? Im being ridiculous now but wondering if fellow agfers have seen much of this.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 PM

It's supposed to do that. It's call "fallaway." Do a forum search on that term.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 PM

Question fretting

Thanks DT, Im thinking this is somewhat common too and I don't worry but there must be some more comments regarding this. Is this something a manufacturer lets slide a little or what? Hey thanks Dave, I will.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:25 PM

Wink fallaway

Okay, I feel better, learned something. The purpose of creating this thread is Im selling a guitar with a little "fallaway" Im as honest as the day is long and its not much money. Everythings perfect on this but I did notice a slight drop. All is well in Wades World-Wades World -awesome dudes
Old 06-24-2014, 08:05 PM

It's called "falloff" and is intentional. On my Larrivee D-03R-12 it's fairly noticeable.

Think about how a truss rod affects the relief of a fretboard. The portion of the fretboard past where the truss rod is anchored is not affected (i.e. the relief can't be set) so a builder will build in a bit of falloff or fade to prevent fret-rattle on the last few frets.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 PM

Yes, the falloff or fall away is important to a clean playing guitar. Without it the initial attack can sound plunky and banjo-like.

I've had several guitars that didn't have a correct falloff. The fix is simple. I dress the frets with the neck perfectly straight, as is normally done, then I put 4-5 layers of masking tape over the 12th fret and continue dressing the frets above that until the dressing bar just touches the 13th fret. This creates a kind of false falloff. Once crowning and polishing is done the guitar will ring out nicely.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Guest 1928

It's simple geometry. If the clearance at the 12th fret (action) is 3/32" and you want the string height (from the guitar's top) at the bridge to be close to 1/2" (16/32") the neck has to tilt back. That puts the surface of the fretboard in a different plane from the top. Then at the body joint, the fretboard either has to bend down or have a tapered shim to fill the gap. We usually let it drop off since most people don't play up there anyway. (I said most, not all. Those that do play up there have to be more concerned about that area that I am.)

All that is somewhat oversimplified and assumes a perfectly flat top and all that, but you get the idea.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 PM

Its funny some do and some don't. In fact I did notice it on my Larry d10 and I would only assume that was intentional, but the stone bridge is flat as a pancake, go figure
Old 06-24-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade63 View Post
Okay, in hind sight of posting this I know mathematically the fret board should be flat as most are(a little relief I know) but I swear Ive run across this numerous times, who uses those last 3 frets anyway, and do you expect to get a clear good tone up there? Im being ridiculous now but wondering if fellow agfers have seen much of this.
I use almost the whole fretboard. I do some chording up high while droning open strings. Some lead lines take me to the last fret. Anyhow, I find Taylors have little to no falloff. It could be due to the bolt on neck, so the fretboard has more support. I have a traditionally made guitar that does have falloff. The tone is okay up high, but not as clear as my Taylor.

Yup, I think in general that bolt on necks will have little to no falloff as they are not subject to the top heaving or sagging.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:41 AM

If the fretboard extension is supported as with an elevated extension or an extension that sits in its own pocket the geometry of the guitar won't have the same effect on it as it can with an extension glued to the top.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM

Falloff used to be standard and many builders still use that concept due to the neck geometry but modern builders have learned how to counteract that. So it is two different building methods not just a bolt on vs dovetail situation.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I use almost the whole fretboard. I do some chording up high while droning open strings. Some lead lines take me to the last fret. Anyhow, I find Taylors have little to no falloff. It could be due to the bolt on neck, so the fretboard has more support. I have a traditionally made guitar that does have falloff. The tone is okay up high, but not as clear as my Taylor.

Yup, I think in general that bolt on necks will have little to no falloff as they are not subject to the top heaving or sagging.
I was kidding that no one uses the top but that's an interesting observation about bolt ons. I like the idea.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 PM

It's also humidity dependent. A more dry guitar will exhibit more of that fall off than a properly (or overly) humidified instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion