The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Performance 2 Capo mini review

I love my G7th performance capo. For me, on my guitars, it seems the best for keeping intonation true. Other capos tend to cause "sharp-ing", especially on my low E string. I carved the rubber bumper on my Kyser-12 string capo to reduce the path change and that helped.

On my six strings I love my G7th Performance capo.

When they announced the G7th Performance 2 I immediately ordered one.

Apparently its a hot seller. I had trouble getting one - there were backorders on the first day.

I ordered mine directly from Sheehan's music in the UK (who are apparently the business side of G7th).

It arrived very quickly - only 4-5 days later.

Well here are my notes (in no order)
  • This thing is VERY light weight, especially compared to it's predecessor. I mean MUCH lighter.
  • It's about 2/3 of the thickness of the Performance capo but the metal is much lighter.
  • The fit and finish quality are impeccable.
  • The clutch works the opposite so its more intuitive. I am still struggling to get used to the difference - I keep pushing it the wrong way because I am used to the other one.
  • It needs a little more squeeze to clamp down.
  • Once clamped down it sounds as good (or better) than the Performance - maybe because it is thinner so the string path change is reduced.
  • They say its designed to store on your headstock behind the nut but I can't figure that one out.

All in all I love it.

Its definitely an improvement and a really nice quality design. Ultra light weight and just as robust.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 06-25-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 PM

I have just ordered mine
Old 06-24-2014, 06:37 PM

thanks for the review. still trying to find a black one.... they're all over the Uk but, now so much here state-side.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the review. I will be ordering one (or more) soon.

I've got 4 of the first generation ones around the house. Love them. Don't get the hate these seem to get on here. They are by far the quickest capo I've ever used to put on and remove, and they are also the most 'out of the way' ones I've used that don't make your guitar neck look like a radio antenna/solar panel array on the ISS...
▌····║··(░)▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒█████··
▐·······▄▄··▄▌··········ΦΦΦ···
·▀▀▄▄▄▀▀··▀▀··················
······························

» My name is Devan
» Guitar and Personal Blog.
» Guitar and Gear Review Site.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the review, just ordered one from Sweetwater who had the silver units in stock.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 AM

Looks like Sweetwater got the black in:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G7Perf6Blk/

Any difference other than color? Additionally, I have to ask this: is there any reason why a capo is worth between $45.00 and $50.00? Don't get me wrong, if it is worth it, and there is a good reason to take that plunge, I am in! I just wanted to ask what, in particular, this capo offers that I can't get from one that costs $15 or $20?

Obviously the crappy strap ones are garbage.

Edit: Oops! Sorry, I just re-read the ad and noticed it isn't in yet, but will be in a few weeks.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 06-25-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

On my six strings, I tried several capos. They all pressed the strings down too hard and the pads were too large. This resulted in driving my strings out of tune.

It was bad enough that I had to tune down my #6 string when using a capo.

This type of capo is not spring loaded, it works by a locking clutch mechanism, so you can decide how tight you want it. You squeeze it as hard as you want, then it stays there.

The basic Kyser style are spring loaded - they always press down with a certain force and you have no control over that.

I love the level of control I have over my capo.

I can squeeze it harder on the first fret and less on the sixth fret if I want.

Basically I put the capo in then squeeze it until I get clean notes and I know its the absolute bare minimum of force required so my strings are not stretched sharp.

Last edited by fazool; 06-25-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
Looks like Sweetwater got the black in:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G7Perf6Blk/

Any difference other than color? Additionally, I have to ask this: is there any reason why a capo is worth between $45.00 and $50.00? Don't get me wrong, if it is worth it, and there is a good reason to take that plunge, I am in! I just wanted to ask what, in particular, this capo offers that I can't get from one that costs $15 or $20?

Obviously the crappy strap ones are garbage.

Edit: Oops! Sorry, I just re-read the ad and noticed it isn't in yet, but will be in a few weeks.
The market believes they are worth that much, however I do not, just like how I do not think Zager Guitars are worth $1,000 or Blue Chips to be $35 even though the market allows them to be. I've always found G7ths annoyingly hard to clip on, as opposed to Shubbs, where you can designate the tension instead of wondering if you squeezed hard enough. I also do not find "strap ones" to be garbage, and neither does Tony Rice. If a capo does the job, it does the job. On my Goodall, I've never had intonation or sharpening problems with almost any capo.

The best thing about G7ths and BlueChips is that I've not had trouble reselling them for near the price I paid for them.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:12 AM

Cool, opposing opinions always make for informed discussion. Good to see both sides of a debate. Anyway, I have a couple of the Dunlop Trigger style capos. One thing I have found over the years with all capos I have owned, as fazool made note of, is that keeping the guitar in tune when putting a capo on, no matter how careful I am, is almost always a nightmare. That is the ONLY reason I am considering paying what amounts to four times the price of a regular capo. However, Aloha Goodall's response has made me a little skittish about the G7th.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Goodall View Post
I've always found G7ths annoyingly hard to clip on, as opposed to Shubbs, where you can designate the tension instead of wondering if you squeezed hard enough.
The G7th Newport works like that as well, but personally I find that worse, as a tension that works lower down the neck doesn't work higher up, so I end up adjusting all the time.

As for the Performance, I've never had to wonder anything, just put it on and play.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 AM

I swear by my G7th 12-string capo. The G7th is the only capo I've used that doesn't pull strings sharp given all that tension 12 strings are exerting. In addition to their excellent mechanism, I have a feeling the rubber is softer so "clamping down" to get the middle strings to ring true doesn't result in pull the outer strings sharp.

Given my love for the G7th, though, I use the PlanetWaves Dual-Action for the 6 string guits for the simplest of reasons: it's trigger style makes it faster and one-handed operation is natural. The adjustable tension is the key to prevent it from pulling strings sharp.

BTW, anyone compare the G7th old vs new in your hand? Their pic doesn't portray it as looking a whole lot slimmer than the orig ...to my eye, anyway??

Edward
Old 06-25-2014, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
I swear by my G7th 12-string capo. The G7th is the only capo I've used that doesn't pull strings sharp given all that tension 12 strings are exerting. In addition to their excellent mechanism, I have a feeling the rubber is softer so "clamping down" to get the middle strings to ring true doesn't result in pull the outer strings sharp.

Given my love for the G7th, though, I use the PlanetWaves Dual-Action for the 6 string guits for the simplest of reasons: it's trigger style makes it faster and one-handed operation is natural. The adjustable tension is the key to prevent it from pulling strings sharp.

BTW, anyone compare the G7th old vs new in your hand? Their pic doesn't portray it as looking a whole lot slimmer than the orig ...to my eye, anyway??

Edward
I am on the converse camp - I use my G7th's on my six strings and my Kyser on my twelve string. I'll probably break down and get a G7th for my twelve though.

Yes I compared them. I didn't include a photo. The new capo is about 1/3 thinner (its about 2/3 as thick as the original). Its also much lighter.

I actually find it a little tricky to get use to holding on to because it is so small and light.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:54 AM

Had mine for a week now, and agree with Fazool's enthusiastic conclusions. Absolutely.

However, I'd still use my Shubb on my 12 string as the G7th 12 string capo never really worked for me, perhaps I should try it again . . .

This is a vast improvement (on an already great design) and is sublime on my D-28 and 000-28.

Well recommended.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:11 AM

Default Performance 2 video

Good to see some debate going on about my new baby and I have no desire to interfere... however, I did post a video which might answer some of the questions if you don't mind the English accent and ugly mug!
It shows how I store it behind the nut and how it compares with the original amongst other things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwXLn7LgYpQ

Thanks for the interest!
I know all colours have arrived in the USA now so they should be available pretty soon.

Nick
Old 06-26-2014, 11:17 AM

Thanks, G7th-nick! Just watched the video and it pushed me off the fence. I am going to order it in black!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion