The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default The next time I go to buy a guitar...

and if I'm spending a good chunk of change and I'm stuck between 2 guitars, I'm going to buy two sets of the same strings and ask the salesmen to put them on the guitars so I can compare apples to apples...

Just saying...

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 AM

Of course, you'll let us know how that goes over with the store owner, right?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 AM

Great if you're comparing, say, two D-28's or two J-45's, but not if you're checking out totally different makes/styles; every instrument responds differently to different string types/gauges, and speaking as one who's been there a set that'll make one guitar sing like Pavarotti's parakeet can make another sound like absolute garbage. FWIW I'm completely in favor of the fresh string idea, but you'd be better off going with something as close as possible to what was originally installed by the manufacturer, hearing the instrument as it was intended to sound - IMO it's a much fairer and more accurate method of judgment. BTW I wouldn't sweat the sales staff; IME as long as you're paying for the strings most reputable (emphasis mine) dealers will be happy to accommodate you, if only because should you decide not to purchase, they've got a freshly-strung instrument on display - another reason to stay as close to OEM spec as possible...
Old 06-21-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Great if you're comparing, say, two D-28's or two J-45's, but not if you're checking out totally different makes/styles; every instrument responds differently to different string types/gauges, and speaking as one who's been there a set that'll make one guitar sing like Pavarotti's parakeet can make another sound like absolute garbage. FWIW I'm completely in favor of the fresh string idea, but you'd be better off going with something as close as possible to what was originally installed by the manufacturer, hearing the instrument as it was intended to sound - IMO it's a much fairer and more accurate method of judgment. BTW I wouldn't sweat the sales staff; IME as long as you're paying for the strings most reputable (emphasis mine) dealers will be happy to accommodate you, if only because should you decide not to purchase, they've got a freshly-strung instrument on display - another reason to stay as close to OEM spec as possible...
In the end using identical strings is the only way to compare guitars fairly, the point being to compare the instruments tonal differences, not what strings are ideal for each.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOR View Post
In the end using identical strings is the only way to compare guitars fairly, the point being to compare the instruments tonal differences, not what strings are ideal for each.
Yeah but you may be using strings ideal for one guitar and horrible for the other which may actually be the better guitar. Unless that is you have one specific string you like then it would make a lot of sense.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 AM

I can see a shop owner being unwilling to let me string the guitars with the strings of my choice: at least one of those guitars is going to continue to hang in the shop, possibly sounding like nothing else there, and possible sounding wrong to the owner's ears. And if he has any brains he won't let me near his stock with wire cutters, string winders, etc.

On the other hand, a good salesperson should be happy to put fresh strings of their choice on a couple of guitars. They usually have a supply in bulk of their preferred strings, and since the object is to make a direct comparison, the brand and gauge shouldn't matter much. If the strings on a guitar are dead, I always ask the shop guys to change them, even if I'm not planning on buying. I figure I'm doing them a favor: the next person to play it may fall in love with it.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi TBman,

I'm all for the fresh string rule. If I were seriously interested in a guitar hanging in a local shop, I would buy a set of fresh strings even if I weren't A/Bing it against another.

One other idea is to have someone else go with you who plays similarly to you. I am always surprised to hear my guitar being played by others--it sounds different from a listener's angle. The audience hears a different guitar than the player does.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 AM

Cool Next time I go out to buy a guitar...

Playing guitars with new strings would certainly make them sound better, but I feel it would be an unnecessary expense. Because most of my guitars were bought on eBay and were pre-owned, I don't have an opportunity to hear how the guitar sounds, but it's never been a problem. I prefer to buy strings I will keep and install them myself. If the strings are a good match for the guitar, the sound will be great, and if it's the wrong strings for the guitar, it won't sound that great.

When I acquired my Martin D-41, I was quite disappointed with the sound I was hearing. I contacted the seller to find out what strings were on the guitar and he told me, he prefers lights but didn't have any on hand, and installed mediums instead. I have several sets of light strings and tried a set of La Bella 710L Silk & Steels and it was a different guitar!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 06-21-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherguy View Post
Of course, you'll let us know how that goes over with the store owner, right?
I've never had one complain yet.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOR View Post
What's not being taken into account is the fact that certain instruments are designed by the manufacturer for a specific gauge of string. I've got an early Avalon cedar/EIR mini-jumbo - not exactly a cheap guitar - that came OEM equipped with PB lights and sounds like absolute crap with anything else; were I in the market for a similar instrument I'd make sure mine was strung with PB lights - and the instrument I was comparing was strung as intended by its maker, in the interest of fairness. Similarly, my Rainsong JM1000 was designed from scratch for nothing heavier than a 12-52 set, period (this I was told by a factory rep), but I wouldn't think it unfair in the least if the J-200 or F-50R against which I was comparing was strung with mediums as intended - in fact, I would consider the latter two to be at a distinct tone/volume disadvantage were they to be set up with lights. There's no denying the differences a specific type/gauge of string can make in optimizing tone/playability - I use no less than four different varieties of strings on my 6-string acoustics, three on my 12-strings, and six on my electrics - but I think we can all agree that any guitar needs to work as a total system, and forcing one to work outside its intended design parameters tends to place it in an unfavorable position in a direct A/B comparison...
Old 06-21-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmile View Post
Yeah but you may be using strings ideal for one guitar and horrible for the other which may actually be the better guitar. Unless that is you have one specific string you like then it would make a lot of sense.
Basic to any experiment is the elimination of extraneous variables. For example I personally find Elixirs bright and metallic, but I could still use them on two guitars and easily tell what the instruments were contributing. If a preferred string can be used then all the better.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
What's not being taken into account is the fact that certain instruments are designed by the manufacturer for a specific gauge of string. I've got an early Avalon cedar/EIR mini-jumbo - not exactly a cheap guitar - that came OEM equipped with PB lights and sounds like absolute crap with anything else; were I in the market for a similar instrument I'd make sure mine was strung with PB lights - and the instrument I was comparing was strung as intended by its maker, in the interest of fairness. Similarly, my Rainsong JM1000 was designed from scratch for nothing heavier than a 12-52 set, period (this I was told by a factory rep), but I wouldn't think it unfair in the least if the J-200 or F-50R against which I was comparing was strung with mediums as intended - in fact, I would consider the latter two to be at a distinct tone/volume disadvantage were they to be set up with lights. There's no denying the differences a specific type/gauge of string can make in optimizing tone/playability - I use no less than four different varieties of strings on my 6-string acoustics, three on my 12-strings, and six on my electrics - but I think we can all agree that any guitar needs to work as a total system, and forcing one to work outside its intended design parameters tends to place it in an unfavorable position in a direct A/B comparison...
Many manufacturers ship their guitars with strings that will last on the sales floor, not because they feel they are "the best" string for the guitar. How could they make such a claim when string choice is purely a matter of taste? Besides, if you don't like the manufacturer's string choice doesn't that put that guitar at a disadvantage?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion