The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Help, bridge pins coming out

[IMG][/IMG]

Is this normal, when I change strings and start to tighten them the slowly start to inch up. I press them back down and they are good to go. But this past week I was tuning and next thing you know I have more movement down at the bridge pin. I got it to stop moving just looks like crap, what causes this
Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ-500M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 AM

Yep, just push them back in

You need to make sure your stringing correctly though. Once you put the bridge pin in, hold the bridge pin in and tug on the string so that it seats itself correctly on the brige plate
Old 06-21-2014, 07:50 AM

Is the ball end of the string stuck on the pin somewhere instead of resting on the bridge? That is what will cause that. When I change my strings I pull all 6 and then install all 6 new ones at the bridge first so I can reach my hand through the sound hole to make sure the string ends are seated properly while I pull on the other end.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort722 View Post
Is this normal, when I change strings and start to tighten them the slowly start to inch up. I press them back down and they are good to go. But this past week I was tuning and next thing you know I have more movement down at the bridge pin. I got it to stop moving just looks like crap, what causes this
It is not normal with well fitted pins and good technique. The cause is often poorly fitted pins. If you snug the ball end of the string against the bridge plate before tuning, the pin cannot move if it's doing its job.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:55 AM

I also have started installing all 6 strings at the bridge and checking the ball end seating through the soundhole before running them through the tuners...

I have had similar problems with the low E pin creeping out as the string comes to pitch, probably because of the tighter fit against the pin and not having the ball end snug against the bridge plate.

I also have some E-Z pegs on several of my guitars which don't require checking since the ball end seats against the pin instead of the bridge plate.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:40 AM

This is a lot quicker and simpler to do than to describe, but here goes -

When restringing, bend the end of the string 45 degrees or so just close to the ball end. Insert string so the bend automatically places the ball end away from the inside bridge hole in the direction of the soundhole. Move string gently up till you feel the ball end touch the bridgeplate. Insert pin and give string a gentle pull to ensure ball end snugged up and that bridge pin end has gone past and to one side of the ball end. You may still need to keep a little finger pressure on the pin until there is enough tension in the string to hold it in place.

Yes, the string should hold the pin in place, not the other way round. If the pin is difficult to insert or if it still tends to rise when tuning up, then the slot (either in the pin or the bridge, depending on your guitars system) needs enlarging in width and/or depth to accommodate the thick wound part of the string without sticking as it passes through the bridge.

Keith
Old 06-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Thanks I will make sure to try this next time a string change is due
Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ-500M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 06-21-2014, 09:12 AM

to save a thousand or so words, this might be happening:

http://www.acousticmasters.com/Acous...s_Strings2.htm
Old 06-21-2014, 09:23 AM

^^^^ This diagram shows exactly what I was just about to try to describe. Very nice.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:32 AM

Cool Bridge Pins Coming Out!

If you file a bevel on the end of your bridge pins, the "ball" won't get caught. You can use 600 grit sandpaper if you don't have a file.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 06-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

The other problem could be the ball of the string is riding up the bridge plate hole. This can cause the pin to pull up also. The cure would be to slot the bridge and bridge plate. Then use unspotted pins.

Do a search on Bridgeslotomy.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 AM

Also didn't stewmac just recommend cutting off the end of the pins to solve this problem?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
Also didn't stewmac just recommend cutting off the end of the pins to solve this problem?
I was just going to say that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion