The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 AM

Default Help finding right guitar

I've been playing for about 1year now. I use a Seagull S6, but it is only acoustic. I am looking for a another guitar and want acoustic electric under $1,000.00. I will be playing in a praise band at my church and am looking for emphasis on warm tones rather than the higher frequencies. Suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:52 AM

Lightbulb

Nice Takemines in that range that are cutaways, Alvarez has some artist series Dread or Folk cutaway that sound nice, Yamaha has some real nice L series AE guitars that are popular, you would need a preamp like a LR Baggs DI to use for preamp or Fishman aura. Taylor 214ce just fits under your budget at 999. The Taylor 114ce with sapele rather than laminate rosewood isa good bit cheaper. Lots of good selections in your price range.

Snark Tuner
Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Nothing wrong with the Seagulls. If you like that guitar you could always think about adding a pickup to it.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:00 AM

I managed to purchase a less than 1 year old 2013 Taylor 314ce within your budget. For the money I thought it was an amazing deal and I absolutely love the guitar. I would definitely look used. For a grand you can get wonderful guitars on the used market.

So to cap, I would say a nice used 314ce or 314e. 2010 or newer for the ES v3.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Cool Help finding the right guitar...

I recommend you check out the Recording King 12-fret ROS-06 FE3. Under $500, solid Sitka spruce top, mahogany B&S, slothead style with no logo on headstock, butterbean tuner buttons, triangle bridge, Fishman Sonitone UST, with sound and volume controls inside the soundhole. Plenty of base response, warm & mellow. Very understated and not flashy, but puts out exceptional sound. On mine, I use D'Addario XL Chrome ECG24 Jazz Light flat wound strings which eliminates string squeak and puts out excellent tone with or without an amp.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 06-21-2014, 08:19 AM

If you like your Seagull put a pickup in it. You'll save yourself about $900....
Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
If you like your Seagull put a pickup in it. You'll save yourself about $900....
+1.

Raydon, Welcome to the AGF. Are you looking for a second guitar or would a pickup in your Seagull do the trick?
Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM

Default Check CL and the forum classifeied good deals on used here is one I just found:

Check out this nice Larrivee on CL in Worcester, MA -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BovJMb1Rs4

Never use metronomes; they screw up my timing!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I agree on the lots of choices, just step outside the big 3 more as you did with the Seagull. The various Canadian and Chinese brands especially .... RK, Blueridge, for sure try Eastman (loyal customer;-), the cheaper Guilds. The Chinese guitars are copies of the American classics with solid wood, so you usually have a good starting point, just find one that is built to your tone expectations by playing a lot of them. So get one of these in the $800-900 range and then add the pickup, or as someone said, maybe look at adding a pickup to your Seagull first. Amplification changes the game anyway, so that may be all you need for now.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:09 PM

Tell you the truth, I like Takamines especially acoustically but I would probably avoid using them in churches. They usually have a bit of a mid honk to them, and most church sound guys either don't eq or they eq incorrectly.

Personally if you like your Seagull and don't know what you want to get I'd just spend the bit of money and have a pickup put in it.

Take the time to go and play a bunch of different guitars find one that plays good and sounds good.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 PM

There are many choices in the $1000 range.

You can pick up a second Seagull, with a pickup already in it.
You can add a K&K and external preamp to the guitar you already have pretty cheaply.
I played praise and worship for many years with a Dean Markeley pop in sound hole pickup. Cost under $50 and came with two sets of strings. Is served me very well.

As has been said, you can choose a Taylor, Breedlove, Alvarez, etc within your price point.

Another thing, if you pick up a second guitar with a built in pickup and preamp, you'll have a fairly broad range of control over your sound. In some cases, that can be a good thing.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-21-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. Last night I played a songwriter showcase up in Woodstock, IL and the host, longtime professional performer & voice teacher Cassandra Vohs-Demann, absolutely rocked a Seagull with a K&K in it.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion