The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Default Direct Box Preamp or both or? Help the Dummy

I have an acoustic with a Piezo inside on the sound board behind the bridge with no battery. I need to run it through the PA mains and monitors and my electric guitar amp possibly on stage. This is all for a few songs that need an acoustic. This is for live situation not recording. What do I need that will do the job?

1. Must be simple to use. Since I never had the talent to really shine on an acoustic I am used to and understand one volume one tone control.

2. Must be excellent quality and reliable

I know several of you here of course are mainly acoustic players and been there and done that and more. So advise this old vintage rocker with what I need for the few songs that really need that acoustic.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboals View Post
I have an acoustic with a Piezo inside on the sound board behind the bridge with no battery. I need to run it through the PA mains and monitors and my electric guitar amp possibly on stage. This is all for a few songs that need an acoustic. This is for live situation not recording. What do I need that will do the job?

1. Must be simple to use. Since I never had the talent to really shine on an acoustic I am used to and understand one volume one tone control.

2. Must be excellent quality and reliable

I know several of you here of course are mainly acoustic players and been there and done that and more. So advise this old vintage rocker with what I need for the few songs that really need that acoustic.
Hi rcboals...

You need/want an external preamp, like a Baggs ParaDI, or an UltraDI Max which preamplifies the output signal, adds tone controls, and may give you even more control over the sound. A decent preamp then gives you the option to send an XLR balanced signal (via microphone cable) to the PA system.

I prefer one with controls. I'm not a huge RedEye fan, because it only gives you control over the treble, and it's not very often that only the treble needs adjustment. Baggs Venue, Radial ToneBone PZ, Fishman Platinum are three other examples of high end preamps which are popular here in the forum…and pricey.

The old-school Baggs ParaDI (often sold used for under $130), the UltraSound UltraDI Max (which can handle two guitars independently), are more reasonably priced units which not only serve to interconnect with the PA system, but offer a lot of control over the signal (such as phase control of the input).

The UltraDI max is the simplest of the lot, and one I use as a loaner for other musicians when I'm gigging. Simple controls, easy to understand, clean sound, built like a tank and not likely to break-the-bank.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-07-2014, 08:16 PM

The UltraDI max is the simplest of the lot, and one I use as a loaner for other musicians when I'm gigging. Simple controls, easy to understand, clean sound, built like a tank and not likely to break-the-bank.

Sounds exactly like what I need to do what I want. I just ordered a new one $135.00 shipped from Djangobooks.com
Thanks you are my new best friend on this forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification