The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-30-2014, 11:17 AM

Default First time restringing a slothead guitar

Based on much what I've read around here, I admit I dreaded this a bit. Turns out it was a complete piece of cake. Never done it before, but no issues whatsoever.

I didn't even research the issue, but simply followed the instructions in this video, which came highly recommended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4SLZhgVX4U

Observations:

1) I didn't even get close to getting poked. On regular headstocks? Always.

2) The hard part is not to get the new strings on, but to get the old strings off. This is a brand-new Martin, and it came with factory strings, each twisted in a loop back on itself. Removing the strings without scratching the wood on the headstock with my pliers required precision surgery.

3) Don't bother twisting the strings back on themselves. Just make that little L bend in the string end described in the video, feed it through the tuning peg and start winding. Done.

4) Putting on the new strings in the order described in the video seems to help avoid strings getting into each other's way. I used the following sequence: High E, Low E, B string, A string, G string, D string.

5) The recommendation to cut the strings up to the next tuning post plus a finger's width turned out to be too short, at least on my Martin 000-15sm. Cutting them to where they extend about twice the distance to the next tuning post seems to be ideal.

6) Summary: I don't know what the big scare about restringing slotheads is about. Even after doing it for the first time, I much prefer it over my paddle headstocks.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 05-30-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 AM

I agree, slotheads are very easy to restring.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:29 AM

Nice summary DesertTwang. Thanks for the post.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I had a slot head 12-string for decades.

I never understood what all the fuss was about.

The only area of concern, to me, was the free end of the string scratching the inside walls of the slots.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Thank you for starting this thread! My Alvarez AP70 is a slothead. Not only have I never changed the strings (had my luthier do it) but I've never changed ANY strings (again...luthier). I have the confidence, and info, to do it now. Thanks!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 05-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I gotta say, I love the look of slot heads and currently have two of them... it's not so hard to restring them (in fact I didn't know they were 'difficult' until I read online that they were).

I almost spec'ed my custom guitar with a slot head but eventually moved to a paddle for two reasons: firstly, I loved the book matched veneer of Malaysian blackwood that Dan is using and, secondly, I love the headstock inlay that Dan is making...

(But my desire for a Martin 15 is being delayed until I can finally track down the 12 fret, slot head stock version).
Old 05-30-2014, 12:09 PM

Cool Restringing a Slothead Guitar

I totally agree the most dangerous part is getting the old strings off without scratching the headstock. I never trim the strings until the guitar is at concert pitch, and I always wind from the inside out (I have this thing about symmetry), and I have a different technique for nylon trebles. Everyone has to develop their own system. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 05-30-2014, 12:27 PM

Thanks for posting and adding the informative video.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

That video is great, thanks for posting... (and reminded me that I have three slots, not two)
Old 05-30-2014, 01:42 PM

Good to hear. My new Pono is a slot head that will be due for it's first string change in a month or so and I've been a little nervous since I've also never restrung a slothead.

I'm sure your post is going to help me.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:08 PM

You don't own a slot head until you've restrung it yourself.!
Is it difficult? .....not really.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:19 PM

4) Putting on the new strings in the order described in the video seems to help avoid strings getting into each other's way. I used the following sequence: High E, Low E, B string, A string, G string, D string.

So why did you change the order that was in the video?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:21 PM

Although not someone who does much restringing, I have never understood why slotheads would be any more difficult to do than solid headstocks.

My one concern would be a ditto of fazools...the potential for scratching the inside walls of the slots with the string ends where quarters are close.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 05-30-2014, 04:26 PM

been changing classical strings for the past 27 years and its just a nice clean look

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 05-30-2014, 04:26 PM

I've owned a number of slotheads - 000-18GE Custom, Larrivee SD-50, Tak TF87PT, Washburn parlor - and I think they're a pain in the broadside when it comes to string-changing! It's certainly easier than it was at the beginning, but I still feel in danger of lancing my fingers when I take the top 2 strings off, and, generally, I find the whole process a slower and more onerous task than with a paddlehead. I would never not buy a guitar because it was a slothead, but it's a definite plus for me when a new contender doesn't have one. Classicals are different; it's the steel string ones I have an issue with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion