The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM

Default Any opinions on Alvarez? What do you think of this model?

Lately I've been on a search for a cheap, good sounding instrument. I am still looking at Recording King, Blueridge and Eastman but this Alvarez seems like a good one to explore.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151311326573...2.M1195.R1.TR4

000 Body Size
Solid Englemann Spruce (two-piece top)
Solid Rosewood Back
Laminated Rosewood Sides
Maple Binding
Solid Neck

I've contacted the seller about some more information, but I think this one could be a good deal. I was curious if anyone had any experience with Alvarez (I've had very little) and what your experiences were with them. I have a hard time believing that a sub $400 instrument could be a good everyday player but in this case I don't have the luxury of playing it first.

Is there potential in these models? Or are they kind of junky imports?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM

Don't know anything about that particular model, but I had heard nothing but positive reviews of their $400 baritone guitar, so I found a used one on CL and bought it. Haven't played with it a lot yet, but it seems pretty well made and sounds good.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 PM

yeah, that could be a great little guitar as long as it's structurally ok.
Seems to be enough height on the saddle for adjustment in the future.
The 90 series were solid wood, nice looking too.
go for it
Old 05-29-2014, 01:56 PM

I've owned a couple Alvarez guitars and they are well made and offer good tone for the buck. I'm not sure how old this particular model is, but it looks to be in excellent shape.
Alvarez as a brand is a safe bet that you will get a good guitar. The P series was the top of the line that they offered before getting into the Yairi models. At that price I think it is a good buy.
Great looking guitar!
Old 05-29-2014, 02:02 PM

Not sure about that model, but I love my 2013 cedar top model (AG75CE). Just speaking for the one I own the B-Band electronics are good too, UST combined with bridge plate pickup with blend control. I can dial in a good bright tone for finger style or add more bass for songs where I'm mostly strumming just by adjusting the bridge plate and UST balance (sounds much more natural than just adjusting EQ). It still gets more stage time than my other guitars because of it's flexibility. When I'm playing with a band it's definitely my go to. Came well well setup from factory low-action, zero bruzz. Played it pretty hard and it's not coming apart.

I recently tried one of their parlor guitars and fell in love with it too. It's stuck in my mind like the AG75CE did so I'll probably end up buying it. I think in general Alvarez guitars are a great value brand that deserves a lot more respect than they get. I certainly would not trade mine for a similar priced Takamine or Epiphone (those are the other two good value brands that come to mind)

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 05-29-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 PM

I've not played that particular model.
But I do play Alvarez guitars.
I go and seek the good ones.
The 5013 in my sig has been with me 18 years. It is an all laminate guitar I paid less than $200 for. I have babied it to some extent, but it the best laminate guitar I've ever played.

My md is one of the best all solids I've played.
The PF were very good guitars. Think of the current Artist series.
If it's been reasonably cared for it's very likely a keeper.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 05-29-2014, 02:25 PM

Again, no experience with that model but many years of experience being impressed with Alvarez guitars of every price point. They have consistently been my favourite offshore brand from the beginner models up to the handmade Yairis.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:36 PM

I bought an Alvarez 12 string, maple body, electronics built in, $400 brand new because it was the fullest, finest sounding 12 I had ever heard and because it had a sweet setup and plays like a dream.

NOT because it was an Alvarez or any other brand. Just because it was a great guitar. If you can. play it first. I would never buy an instrument I could not play first.

My two go to instruments are my $400 Alvarez and my $5,000 Taylor. Solely because of how they sound and play.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Sorry I cannot help with that particular model, but I will echo what has already been said by some folks here. Alvarez makes solid, well built guitars and their laminated ones are very good.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Alvarez, in my opinion, along with the Kazuo Yairi line, are excellent guitars and priced well.
Dan
Old 05-29-2014, 04:07 PM

The only Alvarez guitar that I have played in recent memory was their parlor style model. And I was very impressed by the sound even in comparison with much more expensive models of that style.

Our ears and tastes are unique to us as individuals and if you find something that sounds good to you or, as I like to say, "Speaks to you," it is good.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 05-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Looks like an older, non-Yairi Alvarez Masterworks.

I'm quite fond of my 2002 Masterworks dreadnought (MD90), which is made from the same solid woods and has the same older bridge style.

It is glossier than I'd like, and I have some tiny issues with its fit-and-finish.

Sounds great, though!
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 PM

Can't give you any long time knowledge or personal experiences, but I did just buy a great little 12 fret slope shoulder Alvarez artist series and i'm really impressed with it.

I bought from another forum member and he did the necessary fret, nut, bridge and neck work.

But if this is any indication of their lower budget guitars, I would have to say I'm impressed. It is really great to play and sounds better than the price would suggest.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 05-29-2014, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie View Post
yeah, that could be a great little guitar as long as it's structurally ok.
Seems to be enough height on the saddle for adjustment in the future.
The 90 series were solid wood, nice looking too.
go for it
Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I've owned a couple Alvarez guitars and they are well made and offer good tone for the buck. I'm not sure how old this particular model is, but it looks to be in excellent shape.
Alvarez as a brand is a safe bet that you will get a good guitar. The P series was the top of the line that they offered before getting into the Yairi models. At that price I think it is a good buy.
Great looking guitar!
Thanks for the info, I didn't realize the P series was a higher Alvarez production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhager View Post
I bought an Alvarez 12 string, maple body, electronics built in, $400 brand new because it was the fullest, finest sounding 12 I had ever heard and because it had a sweet setup and plays like a dream.

NOT because it was an Alvarez or any other brand. Just because it was a great guitar. If you can. play it first. I would never buy an instrument I could not play first.

My two go to instruments are my $400 Alvarez and my $5,000 Taylor. Solely because of how they sound and play.
That's the unfortunate part I can't. I did purchase a Alvarez MD60 and it was a nice guitar, purchased sight unseen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselynne View Post
Looks like an older, non-Yairi Alvarez Masterworks.

I'm quite fond of my 2002 Masterworks dreadnought (MD90), which is made from the same solid woods and has the same older bridge style.

It is glossier than I'd like, and I have some tiny issues with its fit-and-finish.

Sounds great, though!
How do you think the tone compares to your 15 series Martins? I fully expect the tone to sound different considering the tone woods but as far as the quality of sound?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion