The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2014, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Help: Tight Shoulder Affecting Playing

I am a stringed instrument player. (mandolin, guitar, banjo) For the past couple months, the muscles in my shoulder and upper back (deltoids, traps, etc.) sometimes get really tight and make it more difficult to play music, especially up tempo music, especially music that is "flatpicked" rather than fingerpicked.

I have been a bad “sloucher” all my life and a therapist recently told me that is what is causing the spasms. I spend lots of time hunched over a desk and/or computer screen. (I think it’s called “upper crossed syndrome.”) He gave me some exercises to do to counteract the effects of the slouching and the muscle tightness and they help. Sometimes the tightness just goes away and I can play without difficulty. At other times (particularly when playing with other people) my muscles get really tight, my dexterity and endurance is affected, etc.

I have heard that such problems are quite common with musicians. Anybody ever experience this? Anybody successfully eradicate the problem? Can it be eradicated?

Thanks for your insights and advice.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:08 AM

I used to have a similar problem. You need to stop the slouching. Your work area needs to change. Some larger companies have people that evaluate work place ergonomics but you can look on line too. With time, the difference you feel when you stop may surprise you.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:14 AM

A few years ago while skiing I crashed and broke my right shoulder in 6 places. Once I healed up I would stand against a wall and crawl my right hand fingers up and down the wall, slowly, being careful to just stretch barely into the pain zone. I'd crawl my fingers out and back across my desk at work, slowly. Worked for me. Hope the shoulder loosens up for you.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 AM

Default Help: Tight Shoulder Affecting Playing

Ergonomics. In every activity you do consciously think about proper posture and ergonomics. Stretch that shoulder out slowly and carefully when it gets tight and change your bad habits. All should be good soon. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:20 AM

I gave up playing dreadnaughts on account of a similar condition, though mine was caused by an old injury.
I found I could comfortably play smaller instruments.

What has helped me out a lot for the last couple of years is exercise; specifically resistance work on a Bowflex. (No plug for Bowflex, any resistance exercise would work.
Straighten up the posture, work the muscle groups involved. Take it easy... You're just trying to stabilize and strengthen, not set records.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 AM

I'm a licensed LMBT that specializes in working with people that have pain and dysfunction. There will be a disparity in muscle length for sure and perhaps in strength as well.

Stretches as well as myofascial release (a specialized, deep tissue technique) to the anterior muscles are needed. Stretching and lengthening of the: pec major and minor, scalenes, sternocleidomastoids, upper trapezius, levator scapula and anterior deltoids will be needed.

Strength work for posterior deltoids, rhomboids, infraspinatus, supraspinatus, and all muscles that attach to the occipital area (back base of the skull).

If I were you, I would emphasize stretching your chest and front neck muscles first, then look at strengthening the back.

Find a massage therapist that specializes in myofascial release - they can help you and advise you to proper stretches.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-19-2014, 08:44 AM

Whenever I have had ergonomic problems playing, they were caused by doing something else: computer use, daily commuting in a car. +1 on changing your computer work station: legs and forearms parallel to the floor, top of monitor at eye level when you sit up straight, etc. Good advice from roylor4. Yoga, physical therapy, whatever.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 AM

Are you overweight? Many problems like this are often tied to obesity.

I'd also recommend stretching and changing your workstation to remedy your posture issue.

Playing music is supremely important to me...fixing this problem would be very important to me.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM

Lightbulb

Any neck problems, I have cervical stenosis and that can cause radiation pain, running down my shoulder, all the way to my left hand..

Snark Tuner
Old 04-19-2014, 11:57 AM

just as an athlete prior to an event, i stretch my shoulders, arms, wrists, hands and fingers prior to touching the guitar. i've had bursitis in my right shoulder for years and still have problems with my hd28 after about 20 minutes, but, with the warmups i can play any of my smaller guitars for a couple of hours.

ergonomics is very important. work on getting your mechanics correct.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Yep -- I had this problem and it cost me several thuosand dollars chasing small-bodied guitars.

The solution was a couple of hundred dollars worth of chiropractic sessions. Between the ultra-sound, massage, and adjustments I'm back to playing my dreads again. I go in once a month for a $45 tune up and feel great.

Goo luck!
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 04-21-2014, 11:58 AM

Exercise is the key. As we get older it becomes even more important. I would have never believed it until I tried it for myself. Within a year I went from standing in line for shoulder surgery to advancing in the study of a Japanese martial art. The first two months were incredibly painful. Now I only feel the pain if I don't train regularly.

Find a physical activity you enjoy and do it. It'll help your guitar playing immensly
Old 04-21-2014, 12:12 PM

Some good advice has been given - stretching, exercise, ergonomics, massage therapy.

Three years ago I had a "frozen shoulder" and could not raise my right arm above my head. I went to a great physical therapist who worked and messaged my shoulder back to 98% mobility in 9 months and alleviated a need for surgery. Those who sit at a computer all day (me) are especially vulnerable and we need stretching, exercise, and good ergonomic choices to keep our shoulders limber.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:21 PM

I have been plagued for several months with upper back/neck tightness and pain caused by guitar playing. In fact, I am currently trying to evaluate whether or not I can continue playing guitar.

My problems started very similarly to what you are describing, although they have progressed beyond that to continuous pain in my thoracic spine region.

I wish I had answers, but I can only tell you what I've tried to do. I started with a local physical therapist who'd come highly recommended. Great guy, with an earnest desire to help me. His interpretation was that I had a muscle imbalance between my chest and back muscles - and we worked together over a period of weeks to loosen up my chest muscles by a combination of stretching and hands on work. I also began working on strengthening the back muscles appropriately. In the end, while these methods had a positive effect on my general posture - and I continue to do them - I really can't say that they've helped my problem. Although in the PT's eyes we were done with our work, the tension remained and I have had to stop playing.

Just last week I thought I'd give a well-reviewed chiropractor a shot. Same basically "muscle imbalance" philosophy as the PT, with some spinal manipulation thrown in. I remain highly skeptical. Indeed, some web research reveals a growing skepticism of the whole muscle imbalance hypothesis (which, as far as I can tell, is just that).

One hypothesis is that I simply play with too much tension, coupled with poor playing posture, and this is the heart of the problems. The tension accumulates and it turns into inflexibility and pain. My next move is to see an Alexander Technique teacher (who also happens to be a musician) and work with him. I learned about this method from the AGF I believe, as it's been the method with which people like us have had the best success.

A couple of things have seemed to help. First, rest. I stopped playing for several weeks until I was asymptomatic. I've picked up some useful yoga poses from youtube, along with some tips from my wife. These have helped significantly.

I'll report back on my progress with the Alexander Technique.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 PM

I've developed this recently as well, and have found relief via frequent massage, ibuprofen, stretching and rest. I'm also a slouching computer user so I also plan to up my exercise/movement with tai chi. Good luck. report back on what works for you....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion