The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2014, 03:06 PM

Default Pono Guitar Models and Specs

To answer some questions and clear up a few, attached is our new Pono Models and Specification. Measurements are in US standard, and also metric. There will be a few other misc models for a few months, but for the remainder of 2014 and most likely 2015 we will limit models to what's on the list. A few years ago we tried many different models and styles, but decided to now limit to a few and not try to compete with large manufacturers.
aloha, JK

http://ponoguitar.com/specs

Last edited by ponoguitar; 04-08-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

John- any new news on the dreadnought model? Any pictures of prototypes? Just curious, a sitka/rosewood slope could be quite a nice addition, thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:27 AM

Good to see the Mango back in there.

Still lovin my Pono Parlor-thanks John!
Old 05-26-2014, 06:37 PM

Default Pono Guitar models and Specs

A question was posted about our new Dreadnaught. I suppose I brought up the new model prematurely, since we have just now finished designs and prototypes. And now hope to have a few available later this year.

As for a large body, until then we have a few of the Grand Auditorium OOOO models available. Due to it's popularity we might keep this model in production also.

To add to the difficulty of the production of new models , we unexpectedly received several orders for our nylon 4-string Tenor Guitar (BN-10D), and the Nylon Hybrid 6-string (N-30DC).

Will keep you posted as to what Pono Guitars are available.
JK
Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 PM

John:

Here's some encouragement to keep the 00020-DC in the lineup. No one else has anything like it and all the reviews are great. I'm picking it up and playing it a lot and, I'm afraid, my kid is going to try to take it back to college when he goes. There'll be a fight.
Stetson 00 (c.1915), Larivee P-09ce
Gibson Les Paul dc, Cort L1200P
No Name classical from Paracho
Washburn parlor, Breedlove travel
Pono OOOO30-SP
Kala tenor uke, Bozo 12, Paracho requinto
Old 05-27-2014, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmaker1948 View Post
John:

Here's some encouragement to keep the 00020-DC in the lineup. No one else has anything like it and all the reviews are great. I'm picking it up and playing it a lot and, I'm afraid, my kid is going to try to take it back to college when he goes. There'll be a fight.
I agree with snowmaker John, my parlor by you folks is great and still coming into it's own, but right out of the box my OOOO is truly great, and getting most of the playing time right now. I'd give her a chance
Old 05-27-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Pono Grand Auditorium OOOO

I have to admit that when bored, or it's the end of the day, I pick up up one of the OOOO size Pono guitars, and it literately vibrates my chest, and figuratively warms my heart.

I've always been devoted to little parlor size guitars, playing them since I was 12 years old. Had and made every size. But when I strum or pick a Grand Auditorium OOOO size guitar it fills the whole room.
(Of course I'm spoiled and get to play any size, any time).

I appreciate all of your input, maybe more than you think. Sure, it's a business, but also a passion that I often wake up at night and think about.

Or maybe it's a feeling, after almost 40 years of this, of doing what I enjoy, and making others happy.

aloha, John
Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 PM

So, John....
I'll pile on also with a vote to keep the 0000. I used my 0000-30SP on it's first gig this past Saturday night. It is GREAT guitar.
Like you, my other steel strings are smaller guitars and I love them, but that 0000 is just so rich and full, it is everything one could ask for in a big guitar....balanced, easy to play (love the 24.75" scale), and perfect for fingerstyle playing, which cannot be said for many big guitars.

Here you go....Sukiyaki on the 0000-30SP, no charge for the mistakes!

https://soundcloud.com/standard-brands/sukiyaki-51614

Jimmy

PS. I tried these new Elixer 80/20's that they (Elixer) cooked up with Taylor. They are essentially Medium gauge Trebles with light gauge basses. The guitar really likes them.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 05-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Jimmy- I use EXP 14 or 19s - a bluegrass set of 80/20 or phosphor bronze, and I agree, the heavier basses work very well for the OOOO.

John- I agree with you too, that OOOO really vibrates with that bass in your chest and really fills the room, but also responds well to a light touch. You know my vote, but you may consider keeping the OOOO and the dreadnought, just market it toward different styles. My OOOO is ceda over mahogany, but I could use a Sitka or Adirondack over rosewood for a dread if I had to give up one of my Pono's, it be the parlor first. The OOOO sounds great fingerstyle or strumming, bluegrass to blues to classical, from standard to a half step down (currently) to DADGAD for Irish or Scottish folk tunes. I'll gladly test drive any new model for you folks thanks again john for listening!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 PM

You guys are making me lust after one of those bigger models. Love my Pono Parlor but now I'm curious.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
You guys are making me lust after one of those bigger models. Love my Pono Parlor but now I'm curious.
There's no doubt that the Pono parlors are wonderful, but I'd wager Pono guitars are fine instruments regardless of size.

I'm in love with Pono guitars and I've never even had the chance to play one!

To the extent one can judge sound from videos, they are fantastic...all the resonance, sustain, clarity and note seperation in perfect balance without that over-lushness of so many so-called fine guitars that blends everything together into a sea of mud. Visually, that theme of perfect balance continues in a line of guitars that are more guitar-like in appearance than so many others, if that makes sense...an understated simplicity that transcends the need for anything additional than what is already there.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 05-28-2014, 06:42 PM

Default Pono Grand Auditorium OOOO

While the subject is Pono OOOO models, here is a video that was submitted a while back, but maybe some have not seen it. The video quality is not as great as I would like, but I watch it every so often to marvel at what Corey does !

Corey is playing the OOOO-10 (GA-10) Acacia with cedar. And Zack is playing a OOOO-30D (GA-30D) Rosewood with spruce.
I don't think Zack knew what he was in for, as his expression shows at the end.
When we do demos we just let Corey do whatever he wants
(I don't think that he even knows what he's going to do next).

https://vimeo.com/38689148

This video shows Corey's latest toy. The OOOO-20D (GA-20D) Mahogany with Spruce

http://vimeo.com/88241848
Old 05-28-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponoguitar View Post

This video shows Corey's latest toy. The OOOO-20D (GA-20D) Mahogany with Spruce

http://vimeo.com/88241848
For comparison, here is Corey playing the same tune on a Pono all Acacia parlor:
http://vimeo.com/53606273
Old 06-08-2014, 07:25 AM

I'm going to definitely buy a nylon tenor as soon as they're ready, keep us posted
Old 06-21-2020, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Pono 0000-30DC specs?

Reviving an old thread here. I am hoping somebody can tell me the specs on the Pono 0000-30DC model. I am looking into a long-distance used one, and the details aren't forthcoming.

Does anyone know the nut width, saddle string spacing and neck thickness/profile of the Pono 0000-30DC (or 0000-30D)?

Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion