The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2014, 08:09 AM

Default I Think That I Finally Found The Thumb Pick

I have been looking for a thumb pick for such a long time. I have tried everything Fred Kelley makes. I have National thumb picks. I have a Blue Chip thumb pick. I bought a Tommy Emmanuel thumb pick at one of his concerts. I recently bought a Saddle Thumb pick when I read about it in an advertisement in Acoustic Guitar magazine. I have several other brands as well. The short version is that usually the blades were too long. I didn't feel motivated to start with the sanding, cutting etc. Recently, I was with a friend that is guitar shopping, and we walked into a small guitar shop called "Appalachian Bluegrass" (http://www.appalachianbluegrass.com) in Cantonsville, Maryland and finally I found what I have been searching for. It is called a "ProPic" (M). The blade is perfect. Much shorter than anything that I have previously tried. Highly recommended if you have had a similar experience.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:38 AM

Glad to hear you found a thumb pick that you like. I tried a couple different brands and finally settled on the Dunlop larges. I also found the blade to be too long so I filed and shaped but could never find the sweet spot. Finally I grabbed new one and played with it for awhile as is. No filing, long blade and all. It felt weird to me at first but within a few days it felt as natural as chewing gum!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM

I've been trying to move to using a thumb pick, but like you have had a hard time with blade lengths. Is this it (ProPik)?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM

A similar thread was started this morning...

Thumbpicks must be on everyone's mind!!!

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=335362
Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 AM

been using a pro pick for years and actually wore the rivets out of the mounting before the pick part wore out. i use mine for banjo but they are great picks.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
I've been trying to move to using a thumb pick, but like you have had a hard time with blade lengths. Is this it (ProPik)?

Yes...in the picture, from that angle, the blade looks longer...but in every other respect that looks like the one...
Old 03-27-2014, 01:51 PM

i found the right thumbpick today too, but i found it in the kelly speed picks. I love how light they are, thats always been my problem with other thumbpicks, theyre heavy and dont feel natural
Old 03-27-2014, 04:48 PM

I like the speed pick too. Others are too big, heavy, dull sounding, long. The SP looks weird but it is as better performing as it is different looking. They should have called it the Hot Rod.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion