The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Default Can NOT sing and swing!

Currently I'm working on blackwater by the Doobie bros, but this has always been a problem for me and I was hoping someone had a good tip for me.

Any song that has a swing rhythm to it I can't sing it while playing. It's really frustrating me. I've tried slowing it down and I can do it really slowly sort of. But when I speed it up I just lose track of what my right hand is doing.

I believe it's only the verses that have that rhythm. I can do the chorus and the bridges just fine but when it comes to the verses I'm lost

Got any tips for me besides just slowing it down which doesn't seem to be workin for me
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 PM

It may sound strange, but try to dance to the music and sing it without the guitar.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:32 AM

Default i just

I just did the song in my head real quick , and cant see where it would be anymore difficult than any other song . I don't think it has THAT much of a swing feel to it , or could be wrong ...Mississippi moon wont ya keep on shinin .... etc etc ...
Old 03-13-2014, 04:27 AM

That's an interesting song - should be so simple, but that swing is so subtly a part of it. I have had the same problem. Have you tried recording your guitar part and then singing over it? This helps me - at least as much as you can help my voice and my playing.

What was the phrase Leo Kottke used to describe his voice? Goose fart on a muggy day?

best,
Rick
Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 AM

There is a light swing feel in this song, but there's not really any difference in feel between verse and chorus in that respect.
But there is a lot of syncopation, and the chorus has a kind of double-time feel.
In the verse, the vocal is often accented off the beat, but it's always on quarter notes - so no swing in the vocal itself, just very subtly (negligibly IMO) in the guitar.
In the chorus, the vocal doubles into 8th-note rhythms, and those are also syncopated.

IMO the difficulty with this song (and I agree it's difficult) is not the swing, it's the complex syncopations - so many vocal accents off the beat - and the change in the feel into the chorus (where those accents change).
Ie, you could play this with a dead straight feel - it wouldn't alter the feel of the song that much, IMO, but would not make the singing any easier either. (If the verse is more difficult, it's maybe because the vocal seems to be at half the tempo of the guitar.)
Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
There is a light swing feel in this song, but there's not really any difference in feel between verse and chorus in that respect.
But there is a lot of syncopation, and the chorus has a kind of double-time feel.
In the verse, the vocal is often accented off the beat, but it's always on quarter notes - so no swing in the vocal itself, just very subtly (negligibly IMO) in the guitar.
In the chorus, the vocal doubles into 8th-note rhythms, and those are also syncopated.

IMO the difficulty with this song (and I agree it's difficult) is not the swing, it's the complex syncopations - so many vocal accents off the beat - and the change in the feel into the chorus (where those accents change).
Ie, you could play this with a dead straight feel - it wouldn't alter the feel of the song that much, IMO, but would not make the singing any easier either. (If the verse is more difficult, it's maybe because the vocal seems to be at half the tempo of the guitar.)

Yes I think your right. I tried just strumming the chords in the verse instead of playing the notes in between them and it made it easier but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

I think I need to spend more time listening to the song and figuring out what beat the vocals are sung on
Old 03-13-2014, 07:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
Yes I think your right. I tried just strumming the chords in the verse instead of playing the notes in between them and it made it easier but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.

I think I need to spend more time listening to the song and figuring out what beat the vocals are sung on
Record yourself playing the guitar part as best you can. Then, while listening to the playback, sing along with it.

Then, using a metronome count-off (or loud foot tapping), sing the song acapella, and then play guitar along with the playback.

You'll begin to assimilate the subtleties of each part while playing/singing along with the other.

Then watch Paul McCartney, or better yet, Ari Eisinger…….Then you'll see how much further you have to travel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2lgtHgoFk

HE
Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post

Then watch Paul McCartney, or better yet, Ari Eisinger…….Then you'll see how much further you have to travel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q2lgtHgoFk

HE
Well as for me Howard, I will need a small telescope to see how far I have to travel! (probably should have taken up the penny whistle instead of guitar (or maybe the cowbell))

Rick

PS - this is the first time I have listened to Ari Eisinger - forget the small telescope - I need the Hubble.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Well as for me Howard, I will need a small telescope to see how far I have to travel! (probably should have taken up the penny whistle instead of guitar (or maybe the cowbell))

Rick

PS - this is the first time I have listened to Ari Eisinger - forget the small telescope - I need the Hubble.
Hi Rick,
Yes, Ari positively channels that stuff. That feel, phrasing and relaxed ease of execution, can not be taught.

I believe he's a computer programmer in his normal life, which either totally explains his grasp of what he plays, or totally flies in its face!

HE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write