The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Default 1 week guitar building classes: Are they worth it ?

Acoustic concerts, week long acoustic playing work shops, and now I discover 1-week guitar building work shop ! My initial reaction was cool, sign me up, can't wait to build my own guitar. Then I saw the $2700 price tag. Well, depending on woods used, maybe worth it. Then I thought about my mechanical and wood working abilities: None !!!! I get nervous drilling a strap peg hole for my guitars. Would a one week workshop (class size 2-4) be worthwhile for someone as inept as myself and what are the odds of me producing a playable instrument that at least approaches the value paid for the workshop ?

John
Old 02-28-2014, 09:19 AM

My woodworking skills are minimal, so I would be better off spending $2700 on a really nice guitar. IMO, you aren't paying for the guitar; you are paying for the experience.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM

My gut tells me that a week-long guitar building class for $2700 should be at least as great of a value as a 4-week brain-surgery class for $150,000.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 02-28-2014, 09:26 AM

If you think you'll have a passion for woodworking, than I'd say the experience is well worth $2700. If you are trying to justify the cost of the guitar you're going to make, then I don't think you're looking at it the right way . The guitar you end up with will be worth nothing to anybody else.
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 AM

A 1 week guitar building class is worth it if you want to build 1 weak guitar.

sorry. couldn't help myself
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
a 4-week brain-surgery class for $150,000.
Brain surgery is easy. Oh wait, you wanted the patient to survive???? Then never mind.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM

Yeah, I don't know how you could build an acoustic guitar from scratch in 1 week. Probably a high-end kit you glue together, then finish, then install the hardware.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Yes, I'd say its worth it. It may be about $1k more than I'd like to spend but if you will be able to build a guitar on your own after the week is up, for sure. If a lot of the parts are preassembled.... well, thats really not what your paying for is it?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:25 AM

John, I think it's unlikely that the finished product would reflect a 2700$ Price tag. That's not really what those things are about. It's more of a hands on training course for people interested in the pursuit of guitar making, or perhaps as a fun vacation experience that you get a cool souvenir out of. You have to decide what aspect of the idea is more valuable to you, the experience, or the finished product...
Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 AM

what's that joke about lawyers representing themselves...?

seriously, i think if you want to learn a lot about guitar building, then it's a good idea. if you want the best guitar $2700 can buy, then not so much.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Yeah, I don't know how you could build an acoustic guitar from scratch in 1 week. Probably a high-end kit you glue together, then finish, then install the hardware.
From the site, I got the impression that that the side panels were already bent (apparently a high risk maneuver) and that the participant would get practice bending scrap woods as to not risk breaking a costly piece of wood. I didn't think anything else was "kited".

Re Neuro surgery: As a neuropsychologist, I am better prepped for it than guitar surgery.

John
Old 02-28-2014, 10:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I haven't heard about a one week class for $2700. With 4 takers at a time that's pretty good wages from a luthier's perspective! One week is realistically hardly more than enough time for orientation. There are quite a few alternatives out there you might consider, including my own version, which I call "Masterclass".

I charge $1500 a week, and it is one on one 8 hours a day for a six day week. The class is ideally 3 weeks long as that is how long it takes to build a guitar. The student is present and is encouraged to ask questions, all of which will be answered in complete detail, but the student does no work whatsoever, merely observing. In addition to to the fee for being present in the workshop and receiving detailed instruction, there is a tuition for the class. The tuition is the price of the guitar being built, which becomes the student's property at the end of the experience. You might think of it as documentation of the process. Being a "Masterclass", applicants should already be grounded in lutherie if they are to get full value from the experience.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 AM

Having taken a 2 week hands on acoustic guitar building class ($3500) and a 1 week electric guitar class ($2500) from Charles Fox I'll offer my opinions. If all you want is a new guitar then, like others suggest, you are better off taking the money and buying one. If you want to learn a craft, enjoy woodworking, and have an unforgettable enjoyable experience, then it is easily worth the money.

A one week course seems very short to me to build an acoustic guitar from scratch. In Charles class we put in long and intense 12 -14 hour days to be able to go home with a guitar "in the white" (Completed except for finish) at the end of his 2 week course. I built an Indian rosewood OM with sitka top and ebony fretboard and binding. Its sound and playability compares to any guitar I've owned or played. I've built 2 acoustics and 2 electrics so far.

I am also taking a week long course from Charles next month on repair, set-up and maintenance. ($1700) I will say it is a considerable amount of money but this is a craft I plan to spend my retirement doing. I don't take expensive vacations, have other expensive hobbies, or spend a lot of money going out. To ME classes like this are as much about the experience as learning the craft. A great value in my opinion.

Hope this is of some value.

http://www.americanschooloflutherie....tar_making.htm

Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 AM

I think in any sort of 1-3 week course, if your goal is to get a great guitar out of it, you're probably going to be disappointed. Guitar building is a craft, and there aren't any crafts you can master in 3 weeks.

What I would expect, more reasonably, to get out of a course like that, going into it with no particular woodworking skill.

1) A greater appreciation for and understanding of how guitars are built and how they work.
2) A pretty crappy guitar.
3) The knowledge and skills to go out and make a second guitar on my own (if I have access to the gear) that will be slightly less crappy.

Is that worth $2700, or $4500 or however much you're being charged? Almost certainly not IF you're only focused on item #2. However, as a way to start a new hobby that might give you joy for years (eg, item #3) and for the experience ... maybe.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:22 AM

Here locally there is a luthier who has an 8-day class for only $1,200. While I doubt seriously that any guitar I built would be better than a guitar I bought for $1,200, the experience and first-hand knowledge of how a guitar is built would be very valuable even if I never built another one.

Those who say building a guitar is an acquired skill that you won't get with one pass are probably spot on. You may go through 4-5 incremental improvements before you find you can build a guitar you're proud of.

I saw a segment on PBS where Wayne Henderson played his very first guitar for the interviewer. Meh ... it was just "okay" sounding.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 02-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion