The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2014, 04:27 PM

Default Playing Standing

I've always played from a seated position and have never for the life of me been able to play standing. I don't know why, I just haven't figured out how to do it.

That said, now that I'm forming a band with some of my buddies I might be in a situation where I might not have the luxury of sitting while playing in some venues, and if everyone but me was standing it might look a little silly to begin with.

In that light, does anyone have any tips for how to play standing? Is it really more difficult to do, or have I just not figured out the trick to it? Any input is appreciated!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:37 PM

I would suggest shortening the strap length to bring the guitar up higher. It may feel too close to your chin, but it won't appear that way in a mirror. This will enable you to hear the guitar better, and it should feel similar to when you are playing while you are sitting. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:43 PM

Always practice while standing. Martin Simpson said on a programme that he walks round the house playing, so it just becomes natural. I`m not sure i would get away with that in my house.. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:44 PM

I play about 90% standing and prefer it. It is a different orientation to sitting but mainly just a getting used to it thing.

Make sure you get your strap set exactly where you want it, maybe a fraction higher than when seated. Then just walk about playing bits and pieces until it begins to feel natural. You'll get there. Oh and first gig, make sure you have comfy shoes.

Kris
Old 02-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

No, sitting to play is more difficult as unless you can master the classical or the jazz rhythm style - you will be to a greater or lesser degree contorting your body -just look at all those tensed shoulders!

Standing with a good quality strap - properly connected to the heel of the neck, and of an appropriate length will aid posture.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzywest View Post
Always practice while standing.
This.

I play electric standing almost 100% of the time including practice time. When I started gigging acoustic again, I started out seated and did so for a couple of years. About 6 months ago I decided to stand, put a strap button on the heel of my main gigging nylon string, and suddenly it got easier to play. At that point I put strap buttons on all of my acoustic gig guitars and I am not looking back.

Practice that way. Once you get past the different feel, you may find it is easier to play. Oh and no Jimmy Page strap length. Think more Roy Clark.

hunter
Old 02-14-2014, 05:07 PM

Piper it's just a matter of getting used to it unless you have physical issues actually preventing you from standing. If you start practicing while standing it won't be long before you're comfortable with it. Making sure your strap is adjusted properly is a major comfort issue. Other than that some folks I know have chosen to use a smaller guitar when performing while standing for reasons of comfort.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-14-2014, 05:21 PM

Cool Standing or Sitting?

I find it much more comfortable to play while standing, but I keep the neck at an upward angle, similar to a classical posture. Most of my classical guitars don't have straps, so sitting is (pretty much) a requirement.

I play my solid body electrics standing, with the neck level.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 02-14-2014, 05:34 PM

I never play standing. I don't have a strap for my acoustic... in fact, my acoustic doesn't even have an end pin. My band members are used to it.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:18 PM

Oh boy. So, one day I decided I was going to play standing up instead of sitting down. One of the most awkward adjustments ever. Know what I realized? The guitar shifted positions when I moved from sitting to standing. Once I sat back down and readjusted the strap so the guitar was sitting comfortably but was now supported by the strap it was fine.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but realizing I could keep the guitar in the same position made it considerably easier.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:48 PM

i find it easier to play and or sing when standing

always done the walking around the house bit and have answered the door on occasion while wearing a guitar
Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 PM

Another reason I love my Ovation. When I stand, it is canted forward, so the soundboard is angled slightly upward, I can hear and see the axe. When I play a regular dread standing, you don't get a decent idea of the sound nor can you see your fretboard easily.

Ovation, the ultimate performer's guitar, for so many reasons.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:51 PM

I used to always play sitting, and had a hard time if I tried to stand. Now, I'm used to standing and sitting feels weird. Just put in the time, it'll come to you. I prefer the guitar up high, neck angled up, rotated to the right.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM

IMHO one should learn to play standing up and sitting down. One trinck when learning to play standing up is to just focus on your guitar while palying. Also playing with you eyes closed will help you overcome this issues and lastly you might have to make your guitar strap a little shorter at first so you feel the guiatr is not the far away from you. Once you get standing, then you will find a sweet spot where your guitar strap will be adjusted to play while sitting or standing. One last note is to also move around a bit while playing. When on stage once in awile I have to move back or move up to a Michrophone when taking the break in a Bluegrass song.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM

The gist of it is simple: get used to playing sitting with a strap. Not only does a strap help with playing standing, it's also better for you back, your shoulders, and your playing when you're sitting.

I play both kinds of gigs, standing and sitting, but my guitar is ALWAYS in exactly the same place. I can sit in a chair (with or without arms), a stool of just about any height, or stand up and play and it simply doesn't matter...the guitar is always where it's supposed to be.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion