The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2014, 02:39 PM

Default Taylor: 40 Years of Unbridled Ingenuity

Let me start this by saying that I am a fan of a lot of different guitars/guitar makers/ The Martin HD28 was my "gotta have" dream guitar growing up. NOW....Having said that I think it is fair to say that no other guitar maker in the US has matched what Bob Taylor has done over the last 40 years. Love em or hate em... you cannot disagree that Taylor has re invented the way guitars are made while creating and recreating guitars that are "uniquely Taylor". I am not arguing that Taylor is the best... but I am saying that I have mad respect for a guy who is a revolutionary in his field. As I said earlier, Martin is an incredible guitar (along with many others) but Chris Martin - the 6th generation of Martin - is not the creator, developer or originator of the Martin guitar. Nothing wrong with that but I have heard both speak and there is a passion that Bob Taylor has that only a parent can have for his own child. Taylor is proving once again with their 800 series that there is always room for improvement. Bob's drive or quest to make the perfect guitar is what makes Taylor guitars so unique (and successful). He never stops trying to improve. I own a First Edition 718e which was formerly their jumbo and it is the finest sounding guitar I have ever played or owned or heard. Congrats to Taylor and its 40 years in business. Here's to another incredible 40 years!
GPC12PA4 Martin 12 string
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 PM

Hi Jasper,
I agree 100%.

Bob Taylor has a long history of not only making great guitars, but also thinking about how to make them better. And then making that thinking into reality. I think he shook up the industry and caused everybody to improve. The relatively inexpensive guitars available from Pacific Rim manufacturers are due in large part to the use of CNC machinery. Bob Taylor pioneered the use of CNC for making the production of consistently good parts.

Like you, I am a fan of guitars from many makers, but I consider myself fortunate to have Taylors from 1983, 1992 and 2013. All very different from the others in character, but each is a great guitar in its own way. Which is my favorite? Well, that changes from week to week, and according to what I want to play (and not just the Taylors factor in here)!

I look forward to seeing what the future holds for Taylor, with Andy Powers as the creative force. Should be some wonderful guitars!
Dave

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion