The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 PM

Default Neck/shoulder tension

I've been unfortunate to have a number of physical/ergonomic problems with guitar playing, the latest being an almost debilitating tension in my neck and shoulders. It's very clearly caused by guitar playing, and I do work hard (apparently not enough) on reducing tension when playing.

I have purchased physical therapy books to help address the problem, and the exercises are certainly helping. But I'm rather shocked at how big of a problem this is becoming. It's as if merely picking up the guitar acts as a trigger to tense up my whole upper back.

Anybody have experience and/or advice on this kind of problem?

I should add that I've also become very aware of my posture, and I'm playing with a neck-up so that I can preserve good posture.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Take a deep breath and relax. Seriously, relax.

Posture, keep your head up, your back straight and relaxed.
The angle at which you hold the guitar. Headstock up or down, fretboard and top tilted in or out. Etc.
Some use a foot rest to elevate one leg.

If you enjoy alcohol or _____ , try some before playing or while you play. "Meditation" was the word I was looking for to fill in the blank.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 PM

You could try one of the straps from Slinger - they are supposed to help with that type of strain by redistributing the weight of the instrument.

http://slingerstraps.com

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 12-05-2013, 05:49 PM

JD - I'm a massage therapist that specializes in treating pain - especially in the neck and back. Doctors or PT's look for a lack of muscle strength as a cause of pain - not usually the case. One of the primary causes of neck/upper back/shoulder tension and pain is a disparity in muscle length in your anterior and posterior muscles.

Think of your body like a suspension bridge - when things in the front get short it causes muscles in the back to be stretched long - thereby creating pain.

It may sound counter-intuitive - but stretching the muscles in the front of your chest and neck (sternocleidomastoids, scalenes - a biggie, believe me, Pec minor) can greatly ease pain in the back. There are plenty of "how to" vids on YouTube.

Another nice addition is a self-help tool such as the Theracane or the Body Back Buddy can be very helpful too. Great for getting rid of painful trigger points.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-05-2013, 05:50 PM

I've been dealing with similar problems and having mixed results as well.

A couple things I'm learning:

- once there's a problem, it's incredibly easy to trigger it (even with good posture, especially since I sit at a computer a lot and it's so easy to fall back into bad posture when tired, concentrating hard, etc)
- Mckenzie Exercises go against some conventional wisdom but have helped a fair amount for me
- For me, and this will sound hippy dippy, there is something psychosomatic going on -- the tension is very real but it's cause is psychological (e.g., unconscious anxiety, anger, etc.). Dr. John Sarno is the expert on this matter. Not trying to analyze you, bad posture can easily have fallout down the road, but thought I'd mention it since you've noticed strong symptoms from very minor physical movements. The brain can easily create certain pain habits.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
It may sound counter-intuitive - but stretching the muscles in the front of your chest and neck (sternocleidomastoids, scalenes - a biggie, believe me, Pec minor) can greatly ease pain in the back. There are plenty of "how to" vids on YouTube.
Thanks Roylor, that's an interesting point about stretching the front, and it's not the first time I've heard it. Consider it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
I've been dealing with similar problems and having mixed results as well.

A couple things I'm learning:

- once there's a problem, it's incredibly easy to trigger it (even with good posture, especially since I sit at a computer a lot and it's so easy to fall back into bad posture when tired, concentrating hard, etc)
- Mckenzie Exercises go against some conventional wisdom but have helped a fair amount for me
- For me, and this will sound hippy dippy, there is something psychosomatic going on -- the tension is very real but it's cause is psychological (e.g., unconscious anxiety, anger, etc.). Dr. John Sarno is the expert on this matter. Not trying to analyze you, bad posture can easily have fallout down the road, but thought I'd mention it since you've noticed strong symptoms from very minor physical movements. The brain can easily create certain pain habits.
Warren, glad to know I'm not the only one. Make sure to PM me if and when you figure out a magical solution! I do have the Mckenzie book so I'll take another look.

The PT book I mentioned, which has definitely been helpful, is:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM

BTW, I should also mention, when all else fails, a good rubbing of Tiger Balm makes me feel pretty good for an hour or so.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 PM

I've found that a backrest is very important, for reducing back/shoulder tension when playing. If I sit on a bench or stool, without a backrest, my back and shoulders become tired and achey within 15-20 minutes. I usually play while sitting on an office chair (no arms!) and am careful to position myself so that my back is firmly in contact with the backrest. This, for me at least, makes a huge difference in back fatigue and resultig discomfort.

Got the chair off Craig's list for $20...money well spent. May be worth a try. Good luck.

Ronkat
Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 PM

I had very similar problems for many years and had the best success with studying Alexander Technique. If you are interested in improving your posture I believe you would get a lot out of taking lessons.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDes View Post
I've been unfortunate to have a number of physical/ergonomic problems with guitar playing, the latest being an almost debilitating tension in my neck and shoulders. It's very clearly caused by guitar playing, and I do work hard (apparently not enough) on reducing tension when playing.

I have purchased physical therapy books to help address the problem, and the exercises are certainly helping. But I'm rather shocked at how big of a problem this is becoming. It's as if merely picking up the guitar acts as a trigger to tense up my whole upper back.

I should add that I've also become very aware of my posture, and I'm playing with a neck-up so that I can preserve good posture. Your problem isn't caused by your guitar playing, it's exacerbated by it.

JD
Yes, go see a good chiropractor and learn some rhomboid strengthening exercises. You're fortunate to live in a town loaded with competent DC's.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:

I should add that I've also become very aware of my posture, and I'm playing with a neck-up so that I can preserve good posture.

JD
I stopped playing and eventually sold my D-28 this reason. My 000's & Telecaster gave me no problems but 10 minutes of playing the D would mess me up big time. Perhaps a different size/shape for you might ease things.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post

I stopped playing and eventually sold my D-28 this reason. My 000's & Telecaster gave me no problems but 10 minutes of playing the D would mess me up big time. Perhaps a different size/shape for you might ease things.
Agreed, my OM-21 is for sale and today I'm buying another parlor.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 12-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Agreed, my OM-21 is for sale and today I'm buying another parlor.

JD
A PM sent.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberibber View Post
I had very similar problems for many years and had the best success with studying Alexander Technique. If you are interested in improving your posture I believe you would get a lot out of taking lessons.
Not the OP, but I'm interested in this but there doesn't seem to be a teacher in my area (Raleigh). There is one 30+ minutes away in Durham, which I could do once but not repeatedly and I'm guessing this is something you'd need to do many times, correct? Any thoughts on the Feldenkrais method? That is available in Raleigh.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 PM

I have neck, shoulder, and hand problems too. I have had surgery on both hands CTS. Right elbow CuTS. Right Shoulder Impingment. I use a foot rest now and I can play for up to 1/2 hour with no problems. I also use Med/Lite strings on my Dreds and Light on my GA OOO and GC guitars. After my surgeries I all I could play was a GS Mini Acoustic guitar with a 23" scale.
Try using a foot rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU8VCtS4y9U

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion