The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Default Luthier Logos Free...

Thought I'd mention this here. I've done it on a few other forums as well. I spent my lifetime self employed as a sign company owner/graphic artist and have designed logos for nearly 40 years. If any luthiers are in need of a new look or a one time different logo for a special build, PM me the info and I will happily supply you with some examples for free. After you select the one you want I'll refine it and send you the file to print out for your inlay artist to reproduce.

I do this to amuse myself with all the hours of free time I have now since being declared totally disabled two years ago at age 58 with complications from 18 major surgeries. The enjoyment I get is payment enough for me. I've also designed band logos for free and a logo for the grille of a custom boutique amp builder. I no longer have access to pics of the work tho as they were all in a computer that crashed and is non recoverable. If you search for Conant guitars on this site you will find some pics that will include the logo I designed for Dr. Conant. That one was supplied as a print decal to be applied before finishing. I can also arrange that type of duplication for you, bu the actual print logos will cost. Later.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 AM
*mahoganut*

Dave - a very nice offer and I hope some luthiers take you up on it!

Thanks and best regards,

Phil
Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 AM

This place keeps on impressing me!

If I was a luthier I'd take you up on your offer even if I wasn't planning on anything, just to see what you might come up with.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:54 AM

I got a number of responses (requests) for this offer very quickly. The first set of designs was met with a very positive response from the client. He said he wants to use both ideas, which are very far apart in style! I'm still awaiting the design request info from a few others by email... that being their ideas they have for what they'd like to see, and am working up the second designs later today. This has been a welcome diversion for me, especially from the guy who wanted me to design the layout of an interior label for his guitars. I still have plenty of time to do this work and would welcome more chances to update a logo or create an entirely new one!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 AM

Sorry to hear about your disability, but what a great offer.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
+1.

I may have to see what you can come up with for me.

Also I think "costa guitars" could use an upgraded logo. Theirs is pretty outdated....... Just kidding tony
Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_in_NYC View Post
I appreciate that sentiment, but you needn't be sorry. There are thousands of injured vets who would trade places with me in a heartbeat. To look at me you can't tell I ever had anything wrong and I function 100% normally. !8 major abdominal surgeries have left me as a chronic pain patient, which is one of the hardest categories to be awarded a full disability for. After being sent to a psychiatrist for an evaluation by the social security folks my disability was approved on the first try. Again, that's almost unheard of. I just have a breakfast of narcotics with coffee and have a great first half of the day. When it wears off I usually have to take to the bed to lay on my side to get the pain to relax, everyday. It would be hard to find an employer willing to let me lay down for a few hours in the middle of the workday. I could just take more meds but I purposefully highly limit my dosages and refuse to take more throughout the day, against my doctor's advice. I hate the amount I do take, but can't get my day underway without it. Plus, the surgeries have left me with a potential time bomb in my gut that if it goes off I probably wouldn't make it to an ER before radical sepsis would set in kill me within a few hours. I do an excellent job of NOT thinking about it, just being aware it exists. In a few weeks I will have a conceal carry permit for a handgun expressly because of this. I can't let anyone deliver a punch to my gut or tons of scar tissue would tear away and kill me. So I will have to make sure only my side of the story is left to tell. I realize this is TMI, but I just feel compelled to explain why I am disabled when I appear to be perfectly normal. At least I refuse to get a handicap license plate that would allow me the premium parking spaces even though I am guaranteed one should I desire it!

Last edited by DaveKell; 12-11-2013 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I'll be praying for you Dave. Praying your pain is minimized.

Thank you very much for your service to our country (and continuing to serve). We just don't appreciate enough the brave men and women who come home and have to live with the pain for the rest of their lives.

And thank you for your kind offer of logo help. I hope these guys keep you busy.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 AM

I thought I'd post a few examples of things I've designed already for others.
This is a band logo I provided to a Canadian band. The tag line was specified by the guy who requested the logo. They put this on a banner as a stage backdrop.

This is a logo for the grille cloth for a boutique amp builder. He had the one on the bottom right cut out of metal.

This pic is blurry because it's of a metallic logo decal I designed for my Luthier, Jonathan Conant. He told me my vendor sold him "a lifetime supply for $42.00".
Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I'll be praying for you Dave. Praying your pain is minimized.

Thank you very much for your service to our country (and continuing to serve). We just don't appreciate enough the brave men and women who come home and have to live with the pain for the rest of their lives.

And thank you for your kind offer of logo help. I hope these guys keep you busy.
I'm sorry but you misunderstood part of my post. I was never in the armed forces. I spent my life self employed in the sign business. And yes, the response to this offer has been very big. I'm booked with work for at least two weeks currently. I finally have a break from the boredom I usually endure!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 AM

HOW COULD I FORGET! This is first project I did based on this free logo offer. This is the guy who said he would likely use BOTH of these depending on the build. The dark box represents the headstock color with pearl inlay. I haven't done the gold metallic decal idea yet.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Really nice work, Dave. I'm sorry to hear about your disabling condition, but it sounds like you won't let that run your life!

I don't need a logo personally, but I really enjoy looking at graphics work. Are you a Photoshop/Illustrator guy, or do you use something like Xara? Just wondering.

Do you design your own fonts, too?
Washburn Mandolin
Kit-made Octave Mandolin
Martin HD-28
Old 12-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgimcmillan View Post
Really nice work, Dave. I'm sorry to hear about your disabling condition, but it sounds like you won't let that run your life!

I don't need a logo personally, but I really enjoy looking at graphics work. Are you a Photoshop/Illustrator guy, or do you use something like Xara? Just wondering.

Do you design your own fonts, too?
I use a sign production software program that costs four grand and is highly proprietary. It doesn't play well with other programs. I used to use the Adobe programs when I was a Flash developer briefly on websites.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:24 PM
*mahoganut*

Nice work, Dave!

Phil
Old 12-19-2013, 06:08 AM

The response I've gotten to this offer has been awesome. I have quite a few projects in the finishing stages and a few luthiers who are happy to have something to go on the pegheads finally. I'm still open to taking on more requests but will soon have my home full of my kids coming from out of town for extended Holiday visits. If you PM a request to me be patient. I will get to it and after I do it generally takes 2 or 3 days to complete. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop