The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2003, 10:45 PM

Default 1/2 step tuning and Guitar Center

Does anyone ever get those lines from salespeople...."Oh baby listen how low that guitar is...thats true bass growlin at ya...you cant get that on any other guitar"...then u notice on that the guitar is tuned 1/2 step down, if not more...
Old 10-11-2003, 11:06 PM

Heh, heh, heh...

You know if the guitar in question is a Baby and they feed you that line, it's time to leave the store.

That said, my last trip to GC was quite a surprise. I must have cught them on their "once a decade string change out", because almost all of the display guitars had fairly fresh strings. Of course, they were in various states of de-tuned, but nothing new there.

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 10-12-2003, 08:26 AM

Thumbs down

I have noticed that GCs in the Seattle area tune at least 1/2 step to a full step low. Makes the guitars a little "easier" to play - less string tension on the fingers. Mediums feel like lights.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:23 AM

Yep, a common guitar store ploy. I always scold the sales people. But of course they could care less what I think. Until I start looking at that Liberty Tree seriously.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:34 AM

Now you know why I never shop for acoustics without a tuner with me . Thank goodness for Korg's little tuners that are not much bigger than a credit card.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 10-12-2003, 11:59 AM

That has got to be one of my biggest pet peaves EVER! I can almost hear perfect pitch and when people around me are out of tune I cant hold my tounge and have to tell them to tune. That gets really interesting with people at guitar center that I dont know....
Be gentle with one another, sensitive. Forgive one another as quickly and thoroughly as God in Christ forgave you. - Ephesians 4:32 (The Message)

2004 Taylor 414ce w/ K&K Trinity pickup system
Carvin Cobalt 750
Michael Kelly Legacy mandolin
Kentucky KM-250 mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification