The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Thinking about getting an Alvarez

I am an electric player looking for an acoustic to start noodling with. I ordered and returned a Yamaha FG730. The guitar played okay but the top just looked terrible. After watching a few Youtube videos, I am thinking about ordering an Alvarez AF70 or an AF75. Does anyone have any experience with these Alvarez Guitars that they might share with me. Also, I am curious about how wide the lower bout is and the scale length. Basically, I want something that is easy to play and not too bright sounding...

Thank you to anyone who might share their experiences...
Old 10-16-2013, 01:54 PM

As you can see from my signature, I am a big fan of Alvarez guitars. They are very well made and a solid value in the mid-range market. I prefer the dread size so can't comment on the AF series (which I think is OM). I am sure someone here on AGF has one and can provide the specs as they do not seem to be included in any online sites I searched.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 10-16-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM

I've an Alvarez AP70 and an Alvarez 5040.

Both are great guitars.

The AP70 was made so much better with a visit to a luthier and a new nut and setup. I get compliments on the tone quite often.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 10-16-2013, 02:12 PM

I have an Alvarez AG60CE. It's a grand auditorium size and I love it. For a mid priced guitar I think you'll find Alvarez a good choice.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM

I don't own any Alvarez so take what I say with a grain of salt. I've played a couple of them and they left me, uh, unimpressed. I hear there are great ones out there, but I'm not under the impression they have the same consistent, great sound as say, a Martin. Disclaimer: I realize my opinion is based on a few examples and may or may not be accurate. See store or participating dealer for details.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-16-2013, 02:29 PM

I've had both the Alvarez AF710/AD70 and the Yamaha FG730S/FS700S.

I think if you get the Alvarez, you'll be missing your FG730S. That's what happened to me anyway.

I had an Alvarez AF710 that after awhile, the excitement just fizzled out; the neck started to bow forward a little. Not a big deal... truss rod adjustment fixed that. Actually was a sweet guitar. Had a nice tone but didn't have the snappy tone that my FG730 had, also the nut width felt VERY narrow more so than any other acoustic I've ever had. Alvarez does have great customer service though. They shipped me a free pickguard just because I asked for one when mine was peeling off a little. Something you'll be hard-pressed to find with Yamaha... but I don't know, I never had to deal with Yamaha. Never had an issue with their guitars.

Last edited by Irondale; 10-16-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Irondale:

How would you compare the two Yamahas that you have in both playability and sound/tone? If you had to give one up, which one would you keep???

I only returned the Yamaha FG730 due to the top just plain looking bad. I might give another one a try...
Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 PM

I'm still getting to know my FS700S. I love it. Very comfy. But the FG730s was pretty comfortable for a dread. It has a little more curve in the middle, and it's not quite as deep as other dreads. The FG730's tone was very piano-like. Lots of ring to it. My FS has that going on too, but more focused. I like them both really The Alvarezes just didn't have that.

I think Alvarez are cool guitars. I was initially fascinated with their bridge design. But to me, Yamaha just feels like the better built guitar with a nicer finish. My 200 dollar FS has a finish that looks like it belongs on a Gibson.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:18 PM

I have to agree that most of the FG's in plain top do look rather dull. I purchased an FG730s in cherry burst top and it looks and plays great. Real good guitar at any price point either way. I recently purchased a used Alverez/Yairi model AY-71 that is really amazing. Toned spruce top, laminated Koa back and sides, intonation is spot on with outstanding tone and clear bright harmonics. It was built in Japan in 1995 and as far as I can check is in excellent shape. I never paid any attention to this brand but the Alvarez/Yairi line had caught my attention. Could be worth your looking into if you have considered these.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:45 PM

I'm in the market for a baritone and I've heard good things about the Alvarez model 60 something. While most of my guitars are higher end I'm greatly pleased with my mid-priced Breedlove Atlas 12-string so I am ready to get an Alvarez baritone if I continue to hear good things. Any one have experience?

Taylor 614ce
Taylor custom 12-fret GC
Aforementioned Breedlove
1930 Martin 2-17
Tacoma PK30
Alhambra 11C classical
Etc
Old 10-16-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondale View Post
I'm still getting to know my FS700S. I love it. Very comfy. But the FG730s was pretty comfortable for a dread. It has a little more curve in the middle, and it's not quite as deep as other dreads. The FG730's tone was very piano-like. Lots of ring to it. My FS has that going on too, but more focused. I like them both really The Alvarezes just didn't have that.

I think Alvarez are cool guitars. I was initially fascinated with their bridge design. But to me, Yamaha just feels like the better built guitar with a nicer finish. My 200 dollar FS has a finish that looks like it belongs on a Gibson.
Well, I had planned on going to Guitar Denter neck week to look at the Alvarez, BUT, I guess I decided to give the Yamaha FG730 another try and I just ordered it from American Music Supply a couple of minutes ago. Now I wish Scotty was here so he could beam it to me...
Old 10-16-2013, 09:53 PM

good luck with the FG. Irondale nailed it -- they're piano-like and are more bold than the FS. I play the FD (similar to the FG without the bling) and I find it to be a satisfying and serviceable instrument.

Last night, I played an FG700s, an FG730s, an FS720s, and an FS700s.

I find the FGs to be strong, ringing, heavily built and bold. Personally, I like the understated models and am not a fan of the cream binding so I gravitate toward the 700 vs 730.

Similarly, I liked the FS700 over the 720 aesthetically. This is a nice little guitar. Like Irondale stated, it's more focused. I thought how nice it would be as a more of a couch guitar vs the dreads I play seated. I'd never really played the FS but it was a little cutie and sounded great.

Lastly, I've been amazed at the variability of the tops on these Yamahas -- some are butt ugly and others are stunningly beautiful. Although many consider the Yamahas to be very consistent (they are in terms of fit and finish), I have played more FG730s I would have passed on than I have ones I'd have taken home. But, there are those that would definitely be taken home! So playing a number of them is always a good idea.

Hope yours works for you and if not, don't give up -- It is out there!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:13 AM

This is a tale of two Alvarez AD-60's. Awhile back I was visiting my oldest son in a town way out in west Texas. There was a Guitar Center a few blocks from his home I went up to to wait for him to get off work. As soon as I walked into the acoustic room the only other guy in there said "I can save you a lot of time. That Alvarez hanging there by your knees is the best sounding guitar in here. I've been here two hours and can't find one that sounds better". It was an Ad-60 on sale for $300.00. Naturally I picked it up and began to strum some progressions the other guy ripped off solos to instantly to whatever I played. He knew his stuff. Realizing I already owned a fairly new Ad-60 on loan to my other son in Abilene, I put it back up and thanked him for his comments which after playing a few other guitars I totally agreed with.

My Ad-60 didn't come close to the tonality of this one, which proves two of the same models of guitar can vary a great deal in sound. I struggled during my whole visit with the idea of going back and buying that guitar. I looked up the Ad-60 on that Alvarez website and it plainly says they consider this model to be their best built guitar! Like I said though, mine didn't compare to this one. My advice is to play a few Ad-60's and find the one that speaks to you. The fit and finish of the build is excellent and they can be had for an average of $300.00. I also read there are more than a few bluegrassers who have old AD-60's they wouldn't part with for anything. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
I am an electric player looking for an acoustic to start noodling with. I ordered and returned a Yamaha FG730. The guitar played okay but the top just looked terrible. After watching a few Youtube videos, I am thinking about ordering an Alvarez AF70 or an AF75. Does anyone have any experience with these Alvarez Guitars that they might share with me. Also, I am curious about how wide the lower bout is and the scale length. Basically, I want something that is easy to play and not too bright sounding...

Thank you to anyone who might share their experiences...
I played the AF70 but not the 75. It's ok, nothing special. In that price range, the Yamaha FS700S just stomps all over the Alvarez. The sound is amazing, and the neck is super easy to play. Look for the sunburst version, not the brown one, the vintage looking sunburst, it's gorgeous. If you can afford around $700, I highly recommend the Blueridge BR163. That's what I ended up buying.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-17-2013, 09:24 AM

I'm not much on telling anyone what they just purchased was a wrong move. Enjoy your Yamaha if you decide it's a keeper. It's a very nice guitar and probably one of the best values in its size/price range. I've owned both the FG700 and I still own an Alvarez AP70.

Despite the hyperbole people prefer to inject into these comparisons, the two instruments are simply different creatures. Just as Taylor and Martin will appeal to different buyers, the same is true of the Yamaha and the Alvarez. IMO the 700 possessed a sound balanced toward the upper frequencies which played best up the neck. At the 9-13th frets the Yamaha is a standout with great amounts of chime and sustain which will appeal to many buyers. Word is Guitar Center sells the 700 by the boat load. First position chords were quite easy to play and carried a reasonable amount of heft and projection for a $200 street value dreadnought. Threads abound in the archives discussing the pro's and con's of the 700 series Yamahas.

The Alvarez has, IMO, a justly deserved reputation for high value in a smaller bodied player. Fullness is never an issue with the AP70 despite its smaller body size. Sustain and chime are there up and down the neck, which is wider and, for my hands, more comfortable for fingerstyle playing than the 700. The 700 would be a nice strummer while the AP70 is an intimate guitar, comfortable in your lap and shining with precision picking. The Alvarez was a tad more expensive than the Yamaha and I would say the difference in cost is reflected in the quality of materials and construction. The AP70 is just an attractive guitar to my eyes, even more so when the pickguard has been removed.

To me, comparing the Yamaha to the Alvarez is more like comparing a Civic to a Sentra. Both are good products at the top of their class, they just aren't in the same class and will not appeal to the same buyer. Naturally, strings add a significant amount to the performance of any guitar. The OEM strings on the Yamaha should be replaced when you purchase the guitar. I happened to go through several before I found the best playing 700. I'm not sure why someone would want to replace the nut on the Alvarez.

Threads exist which discuss the Alvarez, including a rather glowing review from me. Check the archives. Which model you prefer is totally up to you and what you think is important to your style of playing. For me, the Yamaha left the building while the Alvarez sits in my room where I can pick it up daily. Neither guitar was my best nor most expensive model but both served the purpose of a player friendly guitar. The Alvarez just happened to stay longer than did the Yamaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM7DPShF_jo

Last edited by JanVigne; 10-17-2013 at 09:30 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion