The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 PM

Default D'Addario NS Micro Clip-On Tuner - Keep it on your nice guitars 24/7?

Hi,
Just got one of these tuners.

It's small enough to leave on the headstock when placing the guitar in my case.

Just curious if the plastic is OK to leave on the headstock of a high end guitar. Or should I remove b/c somehow it could leave a mark?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
Hi,
Just got one of these tuners.

It's small enough to leave on the headstock when placing the guitar in my case.

Just curious if the plastic is OK to leave on the headstock of a high end guitar. Or should I remove b/c somehow it could leave a mark?
I think if I owned a high end guitar (oh wait, I own more than a few), I would take the extra one second it takes to put it in the case pocket
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 PM

This one's been done friend.

I think the consensus was best not risk it.

FWIW, I've had one clipped to my GS Mini for a couple of years, no problems , but it's not a nitro finish.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 PM

None of those clip-on tuners should be left clipped onto the instrument when not in use. There is, in fact, a chance of causing a chemical reaction with the finish, especially with guitars finished in nitro-cellulose lacquer like high end Martins, Gibsons, and most hand-mades.

Nitro-cellulose is most notorious for reacting when vinyl is placed directly against it, but there are some other synthetic materials that can cause reactions, too.

The safest policy when you're not using it is to put the tuner in its box or slipcover if it has one, then in the case pocket.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Wow ! I got in before Wade !
But he did write a bit more....
Old 10-15-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul_79 View Post
I like them and picked up four of them the last time I was in a shop (and will get a couple more yet). I've had the four of them on four of my guitars (all are poly finish but I'll let you decide how "high end" they are), the two handmade Crosbys, a Larrivee J-09 and a Lowden O10, for about 3 weeks now. After about 10 days I checked them all and saw no visible effects. I plan on keeping them on each instrument (and adding them on the other three instruments).

Of course, my practices -- which include leaving my instruments out on a rack stand at all times, with a capo on every headstock and now a tuner on each guitar -- scare some and might actually terrify others. A line from the Atlanta Rhythm Section comes to mind "tomorrow I might go as far as suicide, but I'm not gonna let it bother me tonight".

I really like the convenience of having all of the instruments out and ready to play at all times, each with a capo adjusted to suit it, and now a tuner on board.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:03 PM

Thanks good folks. Will leave it off.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 PM

I'm in the same camp as Phil and use the NS on my Taylor which has the tough UV cured poly finish. I leave it on all the time and I really like that tuner. I hope I don't get a mark. I only have one guitar (a good one) and it is my tool. I don't worry about wear and dents any more than Willie Nelson cares about the hole in his Martin. The important thing is the tone, and a convenient tuner always ready. I also worry the little NS friction clamp isn't tough enough for frequent openings and closings
Old 10-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I've had mine on for a long while, but I do move them around once in a while. No issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion