The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Who has bought or built a Tweed Deluxe 5e3 clone?

I've caught the bug. <rats>

I'm interested in a classsic 5a3, not tarted up to modernity. I'm probably not interested in any mods, save perhaps the mod to make the amp more hospitable to a Les Paul. I hear a NOS rectifier drops the voltage by 20 volts, giving more of the old machines' low head room and being gentler on the power tubes.

I've got reasonably extensive soldering experience and a Weller station but I'm not sure I want to build, so I'm investigating various builders. I can recognize a good solder joint and a well-dressed board in photos. I've done some research and realize that there are caps and there are caps, and speakers and speakers.

So, what are the accoutrement that you consider indispensable to a good Deluxe sound. Which speaker? I hear the Weber Vintage 12A125 is THE speaker for this amp. True? Big upgrade from a Jensen C12Q? vWhich caps? Sligo has hand made paper caps. Which trannies? It seems like for any item you choose half the folks out there love 'em and half hate 'em.

Anything else? Particularly good builders?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Lil'Dawg Amps

Give Jim a call about a D-Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've caught the bug. <rats>

I'm interested in a classsic 5a3, not tarted up to modernity. I'm probably not interested in any mods, save perhaps the mod to make the amp more hospitable to a Les Paul. I hear a NOS rectifier drops the voltage by 20 volts, giving more of the old machines' low head room and being gentler on the power tubes.

I've got reasonably extensive soldering experience and a Weller station but I'm not sure I want to build, so I'm investigating various builders. I can recognize a good solder joint and a well-dressed board in photos. I've done some research and realize that there are caps and there are caps, and speakers and speakers.

So, what are the accoutrement that you consider indispensable to a good Deluxe sound. Which speaker? I hear the Weber Vintage 12A125 is THE speaker for this amp. True? Big upgrade from a Jensen C12Q? vWhich caps? Sligo has hand made paper caps. Which trannies? It seems like for any item you choose half the folks out there love 'em and half hate 'em.

Anything else? Particularly good builders?

Thanks in advance!

Bob
Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM

i've thought about building one myself but i have enough amps to repair first that it will take me a while.

i don't specifically know any builders, bob, but, i did a quick google search of tweed amp builds. this should provide you with builders and how they went about doing it. also, you may want to check out diyaudio, seymour duncan's amp subforum, the gearpage and gearslutz. tons of info out there.

with my amp repairs i've been using F&S caps thru antique electronics, also known as amplified parts thru amazon. great caps. i got the coupling caps thru amplified parts also.

https://www.google.com/search?q=twee...hrome&ie=UTF-8
hope this helps!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-28-2013, 12:15 PM

this is one of the best builders Ive come across. great customer service, and he will build what ever you want

http://vintagesoundamps.com/

Dave
Old 07-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Hello Bob,

If you've spent any time over at The Gear Page, you're probably aware that the consensus there is that you can't go wrong with Lil Dawg, Clark or Victoria.

I owned a Clark Beaufort (ordered directly from the builder) with a Celestion Blue, Jensen paper foil in oil caps and custom transformers. I used all NOS tubes. I loved that amp. Due to a financial blip, I grudgingly sold it.

I now own a Tweed Deluxe clone built by a hobbyist (who has a Phd in engineering.) It sports a Weber 12A125A, Sozo caps and Mercury Magnetics trannies. NOS tubes excepting the 6V6 which are by JJ. Guess what? I love this amp!

I'm not suggesting that they sound the same, of course there are differences but they are mostly outweighed by the similarity of the basic circuit.

Since I primarily play single coils, the "stock" circuit is fine by me. I expect that the mod you mention is best for your hummers, particularly if you (like me) want some headroom and don't intend to constantly "break up."

You may be trepidatious now but fear not, you will soon be happily playing through the fountain of classic tone.

Best of luck!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm actually looking at a Mojotone kit build by an experienced hobbiest that is both inexpensive and possibly the neatest job of assembly, soldering, and dressing I've seen. The resistors and caps are Sprague, Orange Drop, TAD, Carbon Comp/Xicon, the trannies are the Mojotone supplied parts, and it sports a Jensen C12Q. At the offering price I can afford to buy a 12A125A and drop it in. I'm considering asking the guy to make a couple of mods like including the speaker and paying any up-charge. I don't know the Mojo trannies enough to know whether I should upgrade.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 AM

After my own experiences making a 5F1 champ, I'd definitely recommend building your own. It's kind of cool to play an amp you built yourself even though, in my case, all I really did was painting by numbers with soldering iron. Being patient, careful and doing good quality solder work is probably the key.

I'm currently lusting after Reeves. Can't afford one but might try making one some day.

We'll need clips of your deluxe when it's done
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM

I have no experience w/Mojotone so I have nothing constructive to say there except that I prefer an alnico speaker to a ceramic. YMMV.

Before you commit, call Lil Dawg. He'll build you exactly what you want and his prices are less than Clark or Victoria.

Good luck.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM

Bob,

Bruce Collins at Mission Amps has a deservedly huge following in 53E builders' circles. I built a one-off kit from him for a 5F4 tweed Super and can comment that his component and chassis quality is top-drawer stuff.

You can talk to him about upgrades - where to make your money count the most (caps, speakers, transformer sets, etc.). A 5E3 kit is a great place to start.

Highly recommended.

http://missionamps.com/5E3kit.shtml

BTW, I had to laugh when I saw the comment about someone getting an amp from a Ph.D. student - amp building was one of my favorite pastimes when I was in grad school.

George
Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Lil Dawg D-Lux + Mather Cabinet + Weber 12A150A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars