The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Best Place To Get Setup in Toronto, Canada?

Hello to my Canadian friends. I live just north of Toronto. Does anybody know any good places or people who do acoustic guitar setups? I prefer to find somewhere that is located north of downtown. Thanks

- Scott
Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 PM

12th Fret....Best shop in the GTA by far
Old 07-02-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randers View Post
12th Fret....Best shop in the GTA by far
+1 you won't beat the luithers (not repair men/guitar techs) there.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:25 PM

Agreed on the 12th fret.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 PM

I would say the 12th fret - shouldn't be to hard to get to depending on time of day - down the DVP and east on the Danforth over to about Woodbine.

Cosmo is down the 404 and west for a block or 2 on Major Mac I think it is. Not sure about them but they are a big operation probably have someone there do a good job.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 PM

I'd drive a little and get to Mark Stutman @folkway (Guelph). He's incredible. Even ask the guys @ the 12th fret.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaroo View Post
I'd drive a little and get to Mark Stutman @folkway (Guelph). He's incredible. Even ask the guys @ the 12th fret.
Before suggesting the 12th Fret...Mark did come to mind as he's the only person I ever plan to see if I need repair or restoration. His work is beyond excellent I agree.

But, for a simple set-up...the 12th Fret would be more than adequate....not to mention probably quicker. Mark is one busy dude from doing the site, repairs, and running two top notch retail locations.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM

Scott,

The 12th Fret is indeed a good place to go.

You might consider me as an alternative. I'm in Brampton. I've been making and repairing guitars since 1978 and am the author of Basic Guitar Setup 101: http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Resources.html. I specialize in acoustic guitars.

I recently did setups on two guitars, a Taylor and a Takamine, of a new customer who was looking for an alternative to the 12th Fret. Here's what he said of the work done:

Quote:
I want to say thank you very much for the work you did on my guitars. I have just had a chance to play them a little more and they play like a dream. In fact the work you did far exceeded my expectations, and I will pass the word on when I have the chance. It is such a great day for me when I discover someone like yourself that has the values and ability to do such fine work. You are meticulous and that is very rare these days. I deeply appreciate the work you did. Thanks
He's asked me to do some work on a Gibson of his as well.

If you're interested, drop me a line. This is as close as I get to advertising.

Charles
Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaroo View Post
Not to hijack, but I was born in Guelph, haven't even heard the name since I left in 1959. (I was just a boy). Again, sorry, just a knee jerk connection to birthplace.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:15 AM

I've been to the 12th Fret a couple of times (great store) and I've heard great things about them in general. Definitely worth checking out to get you guitar setup.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM

I was in TO in April and we visited The Arts Music Store in Newmarket. I was blown away with their setup, selection, etc. If I still lived in the area, I would be spending a lot of time/money in that store.

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn
Old 07-03-2013, 10:33 AM

For downtown Toronto, 12th fret is certainly great. If you're in the suburbs, I'd reccommend Cosmo music, it's a great store through and through.

I'd avoid Steve's Music. Everytime I've been there the staff have been rude and disinterested, mostly because they're young 20 somethings who think they're above you for some reason, and it's not a case of "get off my lawn", I'm only 21 and I think that! And I'm certainly not alone on this opinion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
canada, guitar, set up, setup, toronto