The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2013, 08:04 AM

Default Baggs M80 vs Taylor Expressions System (ES)

It seems to me that Baggs brought an ES alternative to the masses with the M80.

Both the latest generation Taylor ES and the M80 feature one magnetic top resonant (soundboard) coil and one neck humbucker pickup.

Ok so with the Baggs it's all in one spot, at the soundhole, but when listening to this, it sounds very similar to an ES system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK_9rEHy5sM

It sounds a little better (less magnetic, warmer) than the ES to me in fact.
Has anyone with a Taylor directly compared the two?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 PM

Yep, and I like the M80 sound better. In my 814ce I like it best in passive mode. I'll soon be installing a Baggs Lyric to see how it sounds.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM

I have not tried the M80 but I am very familiar with the expression system and there are definitely some similarities with the tone, especially with the video that you posted. I always found that the ES had more of a magnetic character than anything, which is why I didn't really like it. However, if you like that type of tone then the M80 would be a big upgrade and I am saying this without even trying the M80. I have never liked the ES system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
baggs, taylor es